Dry and wet -- one cat's experience

Old March 10th 10, 02:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Default Dry and wet -- one cat's experience

Suddenly, without warning, Phil P. exclaimed (3/8/2010 9:01 AM):
"jmc" wrote in message
Suddenly, without warning, Kelly Greene exclaimed (3/7/2010 12:15 AM):
"Phil P." wrote in message

I said "cats eat 10 to 20 small meals over a 24 hour period". That is
not
the same as cats hunting 20 hours a day. Don't convolute my statements
..Stick to facts and don't add what was not written...

If they're not hunting - where the hell are they getting 10 to 20 small
meals a day? The mice and birds aren't coming to them! If this whole
thing is about you wanting to feed your cats dry kibble.... don't
bother. Just feed them whatever you want and ignore anyone who may
disagree.

I've already provided highly credible references- I'm not going to do

any
more of your homework for you. Do your own homework, you might learn
something and realize that you don't know as much about cats as you

think
you do.
There is nothing in what you provided showing cats must have a full bowl
of kibble in front of them 24/7.

End of conversation.

I think you got things misconstrued somewhere.

"Somewhere"? How about everywhere? She didn't get anything I said right.

I don't believe Phil P.
has *ever* suggested a cat get kibble.

I wonder from where she got that? lol

Years ago, he's one of the folks
that helped me get Meep the "carbivore" on wet food, to combat her

cystitis.
jmc

How's Meep doing?

Phil

Very well, thanks for asking. Had one cystitis attack when I tried to
add some dry kibble back in (she never gives up asking), but is back on
100% wet food. She's a little thinner than I like, and I haven't been
able to figure out how to get more weight on her without adding dry back
into her diet. She's never happy about the wet, and her preferences
sometimes seem to change daily - sometimes she'll clean up a particular
brand and leave a clean bowl, and other times she won't touch it.

I'm thinking of asking the vet if it's now time to try pepcid - we
talked about it before but the result was kind of inconclusive. This
on-again-off-again food choice makes me wonder if she's still having
nausea issues, even though I'm not catching her gulping or licking her
lips as much.

jmc
Old March 10th 10, 02:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Kelly Greene exclaimed (3/9/2010 6:13 PM):

"jmc" wrote in message

I think you got things misconstrued somewhere. I don't believe Phil
P. has *ever* suggested a cat get kibble. Years ago, he's one of the
folks that helped me get Meep the "carbivore" on wet food, to combat
her cystitis.

jmc

It's been going on so long I've lost sight of what the disagreement was
over. :-D

I kind of noticed that.

jmc
Old April 6th 10, 06:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe

"Bill Graham" weg9 comcast.net wrote:

"John Doe" jdoe usenetlove.invalid wrote
"Phil P." phil maxshouse.com wrote:

I said "cats eat 10 to 20 small meals over a 24 hour period".
That is not the same as cats hunting 20 hours a day.

My most recent inductee was trying to survive on bugs in the
area here.

What a great cat. I think something about living in the
not-so-great outdoors can make a cat very timid. And if they have
not reached the point of schizophrenia (I suppose that is what
certain trauma can lead to if they survive long enough out there),
they make great pets.

If you're feeding the colony, I hope you plan to spay & neuter
all of them.

I think she does not realize the harm in feeding cats that then
have babies who mostly die horrible deaths.

Hey.....Don't lay the blame for that on her. For millions of
years cats and many other animals have died horrible
deaths.....Since long before Humans walked the earth.

Were you feeding them?

Put the blame for that where it belongs.....Directly on the
shoulders of your God or Gods. (or whatever mythical creature
you believe started this universe)

That is some strange logic.

I put the blame for strays on the people who cause it to happen,
where it belongs.

I understand what you are saying. The only thing that matters (to
you) is that you have company when going to and fro, they are your
welcoming party. You just do not give a **** about all of the
kittens you help produce for the slaughter. And then there are the
very few kittens who survive and end up traumatized by life in the
not-so-great outdoors. You help generate a population in a living
hell. That is no better, maybe worse, than the people who abandon
them in the first place.

From: "Bill Graham" weg9 comcast.net
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
References: MPG.25e1e17a876bf27a98bf99 news.individual.net hlg2hf$qv7$1 solani.org S5idnT3jE8EbPebWnZ2dnUVZ_h6dnZ2d giganews.com hlilhu$nf9$1 news.eternal-september.org b_GdnYOidP1yBuDWnZ2dnUVZ_s2dnZ2d giganews.com hlkds9$5cs$1 news.eternal-september.org vIednZrPvPww--LWnZ2dnUVZ_uidnZ2d giganews.com hlpt2s$slu$1 solani.org IL-dna_zR52FmxzWnZ2dnUVZ_sSdnZ2d giganews.com hlt86e$fe2$1 news.eternal-september.org k9Sdnbj6Iowg1h_WnZ2dnUVZ_gOdnZ2d giganews.com hm8h06$mhi$1 news.eternal-september.org iMidnc82n6XMNBHWnZ2dnUVZ_hqdnZ2d giganews.com hmkrq2$vlm$1 news.eternal-september.org -KSdnSCi25PBxRLWnZ2dnUVZ_hWdnZ2d giganews.com 4b8f5c81$0$5363$c3e8da3 news.astraweb.com
Subject: Dry and wet -- one cat's experience
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 01:52:55 -0800

Old April 8th 10, 01:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"John Doe" wrote

I understand what you are saying. The only thing that matters (to
you) is that you have company when going to and fro, they are your
welcoming party. You just do not give a **** about all of the
kittens you help produce for the slaughter. And then there are the
very few kittens who survive and end up traumatized by life in the
not-so-great outdoors. You help generate a population in a living
hell. That is no better, maybe worse, than the people who abandon
them in the first place.

There may be a bit more to the picture though. I prefer to not judge.

I did not then nor now respect a long ago roomate because she'd 'adopt'
outdoor kitties and never do anything but feed them. She 'thought' she was
doing great good. I thought she'd have done better if she had at least the
females spayed (or some of them).

I think you came off a little too strong here to get the actual *message*
you intended over. The OP probably kill filed you right away. Blaming a
person who feeds strays, for all the ills of the world, just doesnt work.

Do you instead advocate no one ever feed a stray? That unintentionally is
the actual message you delivered. It may not have been INTENDED to come
over that way, but it is in gestalt, what you said.

Old July 19th 10, 06:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe

"cshenk" wrote:

"John Doe" wrote

I understand what you are saying. The only thing that matters
(to you) is that you have company when going to and fro, they
are your welcoming party. You just do not give a **** about all
of the kittens you help produce for the slaughter. And then
there are the very few kittens who survive and end up
traumatized by life in the not-so-great outdoors. You help
generate a population in a living hell. That is no better,
maybe worse, than the people who abandon them in the first
place.

There may be a bit more to the picture though. I prefer to not
judge.

There is in fact more to the picture, that is the problem. When
you feed a stray cat without having it fixed or taking it inside,
you help propagate more strays.

I did not then nor now respect a long ago roomate because she'd
'adopt' outdoor kitties and never do anything but feed them. She
'thought' she was doing great good.

People who do that just like the attention it gets them.

I thought she'd have done better if she had at least the females
spayed (or some of them).

Blaming a person who feeds strays, for all the ills of the
world, just doesnt work.

That is called a "straw man".

Do you instead advocate no one ever feed a stray?

If you can avoid it, Yes... Contrary to what movies might suggest,
dying of starvation is not the worst thing that can happen (in
reality, the idea that people typically turn to cannibalism when
starving sounds silly to me, some people intentionally starve
themselves).

Whenever I see a cat or other domesticated/pet animal outside that
I cannot take proper care of, instead I put that energy into
taking better care of the strays I already have.