Frontline -- okay to stockpile it?

Old May 2nd 10, 09:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stan Brown

Default Frontline -- okay to stockpile it?

With the vet's approval, Milo is going to become an indoor-outdoor
cat starting a few weeks from now. So of course I'll be applying
Frontline.

The local Petsmart wants $60 for Frontline -- or, rather, that's the
price marked on an empty shelf. I expect I can do much better by
ordering on line, but I don't want to have shipping charges eat into
my savings, so I'm thinking of buying say a year's supply.

My question is, what kind of shelf life does it have? It would be a
false economy to buy a year's worth and then find six months later
that the stuff no longer works.

Please understand, I'm asking about shelf life. I know that once
it's applied to the cat you're supposed to repeat it every month.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
Old May 3rd 10, 05:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene

Stan,

I did some Googling and got answers from 1-2 years for an unopened
container. IMO I would email or call the manufacturer just to confirm
this. Would hate for you to spend a bunch of money for nothing.

Rene
Old May 4th 10, 02:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gandalf

On Sun, 2 May 2010 16:37:35 -0400, Stan Brown
wrote:

With the vet's approval, Milo is going to become an indoor-outdoor
cat starting a few weeks from now. So of course I'll be applying
Frontline.

The local Petsmart wants $60 for Frontline -- or, rather, that's the
price marked on an empty shelf. I expect I can do much better by
ordering on line, but I don't want to have shipping charges eat into
my savings, so I'm thinking of buying say a year's supply.

My question is, what kind of shelf life does it have? It would be a
false economy to buy a year's worth and then find six months later
that the stuff no longer works.

Please understand, I'm asking about shelf life. I know that once
it's applied to the cat you're supposed to repeat it every month.

Buy the Frontline made for large dogs, and use the DOSE for a you cat.

It's the same stuff, you just use less, and save a BUNCH of money.

By USDA law, ALL parmaceuticals are required to maintain 'full activity'
for 6 months beyond their 'expiration date'.

I have used prescription medications that are more than 5 YEARS beyond
their expiration, and it worked just as well as when it was new.

I did store it in my refrigerator.

I would recommend doing the same: buy the Frontline made for 'large
dogs', and store it in your refrigerator.

Use it until it's gone.

Then buy more.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 100503-1, 05/03/2010
Tested on: 5/3/2010 8:05:34 PM

Old May 4th 10, 02:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Gandalf exclaimed (5/3/2010 9:05 PM):
wrote:

[...]

Actually, I think I remember reading that the dog version is DIFFERENT
than the cat version, and could kill your cat.

jmc
Old May 4th 10, 04:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gandalf

wrote:

[...]

No, it's not. Read the label.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 100503-1, 05/03/2010
Tested on: 5/3/2010 10:34:10 PM

Old May 4th 10, 05:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
t...
With the vet's approval, Milo is going to become an indoor-outdoor
cat starting a few weeks from now. So of course I'll be applying
Frontline.

The local Petsmart wants $60 for Frontline -- or, rather, that's the
price marked on an empty shelf. I expect I can do much better by
ordering on line, but I don't want to have shipping charges eat into
my savings, so I'm thinking of buying say a year's supply.

My question is, what kind of shelf life does it have? It would be a
false economy to buy a year's worth and then find six months later
that the stuff no longer works.

Please understand, I'm asking about shelf life. I know that once
it's applied to the cat you're supposed to repeat it every month.

The shelf life of most medications can be greatly extended simply by keeping
them in the refrigerator. Some can be frozen, but if not, just refridging
them does wonders.

Old May 4th 10, 07:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"jmc" wrote in message

Actually, I think I remember reading that the dog version is DIFFERENT
than the cat version, and could kill your cat.

Frontline Plus for dogs is perfectly safe for cats at .5 ml/cat. Its all we
use. Actually, Frontline Plus for dogs is a little weaker-- contains
slightly less s-methoprene which is an insect growth regulator that kills
flea eggs and larvae.

Frontline Plus for dogs contains fipronil 9.8% and S-methoprene 8.8%.

Frontline Plus for cats contains fipronil 9.8% and S-methoprene 11.8%.

Phil

Old May 4th 10, 10:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Phil P. exclaimed (5/4/2010 2:47 AM):
"jmc" wrote in message

Actually, I think I remember reading that the dog version is DIFFERENT
than the cat version, and could kill your cat.

Frontline Plus for dogs is perfectly safe for cats at .5 ml/cat. Its all we
use. Actually, Frontline Plus for dogs is a little weaker-- contains
slightly less s-methoprene which is an insect growth regulator that kills
flea eggs and larvae.

Frontline Plus for dogs contains fipronil 9.8% and S-methoprene 8.8%.

Frontline Plus for cats contains fipronil 9.8% and S-methoprene 11.8%.

Phil

Ok. Must have been a different medication then. Maybe one of those
horrid things you can get at the grocery store?

I cannot use it because Meep completely flips out when either version of
Frontline is applied - and not for a few minutes, for *hours*. Runs
around in a panic with twitching skin, poor thing.

jmc
Old May 5th 10, 06:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Netmask[_2_]

Stan Brown wrote:
With the vet's approval, Milo is going to become an indoor-outdoor
cat starting a few weeks from now. So of course I'll be applying
Frontline.

The local Petsmart wants $60 for Frontline -- or, rather, that's the
price marked on an empty shelf. I expect I can do much better by
ordering on line, but I don't want to have shipping charges eat into
my savings, so I'm thinking of buying say a year's supply.

My question is, what kind of shelf life does it have? It would be a
false economy to buy a year's worth and then find six months later
that the stuff no longer works.

Please understand, I'm asking about shelf life. I know that once
it's applied to the cat you're supposed to repeat it every month.

$60 for how many pipettes?
Used by date is often based not only on the contents but the packaging
as well. Have you noticed even bottle of water have a used by date - of
course this is referring to the plastic bottle that leaches chemicals
slowly into the water.
Old May 5th 10, 06:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Netmask[_2_]

Bill Graham wrote:

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
[...]

Yes I keep my after shave in the frig - keeps way longer and feels *cool*