Best way to ship cats?

Old August 19th 03, 01:47 PM
Cate

"S.Dunlap" wrote in message
om...

He also needs to make sure this move is not occuring during the USDA
imposed no fly embargo for live animals - this is a weather and
temperature related prohibition on flying animals.

The point is probably moot anyway. I'm not sure any US airline will allow a
passenger to fly with 5 cats, even if they're all in cargo. Airlines have
restrictions on the number of pets they'll carry on their flights, and on
the number of pets per passenger they'll ship.

The OP needs to be checking with individual airlines to see if flying 5 cats
per 1 passenger is even an option.

In addition, new legislation regarding airline reporting of pet deaths was
just passed last week, and it's expected to make the airlines become even
more stringent about shipping pets.

Cate

Old August 21st 03, 04:22 PM
Oliver Costich

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 08:47:38 -0400, "Cate"
wrote:

"S.Dunlap" wrote in message
. com...

He also needs to make sure this move is not occuring during the USDA
imposed no fly embargo for live animals - this is a weather and
temperature related prohibition on flying animals.

The point is probably moot anyway. I'm not sure any US airline will allow a
passenger to fly with 5 cats, even if they're all in cargo. Airlines have
restrictions on the number of pets they'll carry on their flights, and on
the number of pets per passenger they'll ship.

The OP needs to be checking with individual airlines to see if flying 5 cats
per 1 passenger is even an option.

In addition, new legislation regarding airline reporting of pet deaths was
just passed last week, and it's expected to make the airlines become even
more stringent about shipping pets.

Cate

I'm running into the same issue with hotels/motels. They allow one
pet. I suppose I will have to ask for a quiet (in the back) room on
the first floor and smuggle them in.

Old August 21st 03, 05:59 PM

Oliver Costich wrote:

I'm running into the same issue with hotels/motels. They allow one
pet. I suppose I will have to ask for a quiet (in the back) room on
the first floor and smuggle them in.

I'm not sure if Motel 6 has a one pet only clause but we found them to be
more friendly than Magic 8 or whatever the one with 8 in the name is.

When travelling across country the first place we tried was Magic 8 and
the receptionist tells us that cats are not allowed (but dogs are. Says
nothing about that in the brochure, just says pets are). She then called
ahead to the motel across the way to make sure they knew we had cats (I
don't think she was concerned about them, I think she was being spiteful
to us cause while we didn't make a big scene we did get irritable). I was
so ****ed off at this I've decided I'm never going to be giving them my
money.

Motel 6 on the other hand never had a problem with our one cat (which is
why I can't tell you if there is a one cat limit as I only had one). It
was a pretty cheapy motel but, hell, it was cheap and it allowed our cat
and didn't have bitchy, uptight receptionists. Not to mention I don't
understand why a hotel would allow dogs but not cats as dogs can do a
hellava lot more damage to a hotel and be a hellava lot more obnoxious to
the other guests (bark bark bark, poop in grass but we don't need to clean
it up, etc.). Not that I dislike dogs, I just think it's senseless to
allow dogs but not cats. I just don't see the point.

Alice

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.
Old August 21st 03, 05:59 PM

Oliver Costich wrote:

I'm running into the same issue with hotels/motels. They allow one
pet. I suppose I will have to ask for a quiet (in the back) room on
the first floor and smuggle them in.

I'm not sure if Motel 6 has a one pet only clause but we found them to be
more friendly than Magic 8 or whatever the one with 8 in the name is.

When travelling across country the first place we tried was Magic 8 and
the receptionist tells us that cats are not allowed (but dogs are. Says
nothing about that in the brochure, just says pets are). She then called
ahead to the motel across the way to make sure they knew we had cats (I
don't think she was concerned about them, I think she was being spiteful
to us cause while we didn't make a big scene we did get irritable). I was
so ****ed off at this I've decided I'm never going to be giving them my
money.

Motel 6 on the other hand never had a problem with our one cat (which is
why I can't tell you if there is a one cat limit as I only had one). It
was a pretty cheapy motel but, hell, it was cheap and it allowed our cat
and didn't have bitchy, uptight receptionists. Not to mention I don't
understand why a hotel would allow dogs but not cats as dogs can do a
hellava lot more damage to a hotel and be a hellava lot more obnoxious to
the other guests (bark bark bark, poop in grass but we don't need to clean
it up, etc.). Not that I dislike dogs, I just think it's senseless to
allow dogs but not cats. I just don't see the point.

Alice

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|\ _,,,---,,_ Tigress
/,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ http://havoc.gtf.gatech.edu/tigress
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.
Old August 21st 03, 10:09 PM
pcb

My husband and I brought our 5 cats into the UK from Portugal last
April. We were able to bring all 5 at once in cargo. We had two medium
size dog kennels and put 2 cats in each and then had the mother cat in a
cargo size cat carrier. We brought them in on the Passport for Pets
scheme so maybe they make exceptions. This was all done on an affiliate
of British AIrways.

pcb