Oh dear...but i do agree ;o)

Old February 7th 05, 02:45 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Yowie at
wrote on 2/6/05 4:48 PM:

"Helen Miles" wrote in message
news:034bd337bc0633e00fb973bbb7e97ac4.76411@mygate .mailgate.org...
I recently have been doing some teaching of Bachelor stuents at a local
university. I enjoy the teaching, but *HATE* with a passion the marking
of asignments and exam papers. I'm currently in the middle of a 70 job
lot as the students have had their end of semester exams. It's a
particularly frustrating exercise because I have to give positive
feedback even when the student clearly has no grasp of what they are
supposed to have learned in the course.

Why on earth do you have to give positive feedback if their work is crap? Or
has the education system gone all PC since I was in school (and often got a
bollocking from the teachers if my work wasn't the absolute best I could do)

Anyway, HRFL Tiger is most put out that I have to pay attention to the
exam papers instead of him. So he did what I've been wanting to do all
day. He threw up a hairball over them. GO TIGER!

At least HRFL Tiger knows how to tell it like it is :-) Go Tiger!!!

Changing the subject slightly (sorry), my Sister-In-Law applied and got
through the first round of "Big Brother" the TV show. One of the myriad of
extremely personal questions she had to answer was "What does a relative
that isn't a parent or sibling think of you?" Since she has no other
relatives she could easily contact besides me that fit that description, she
asked me to describe her, and to be honest about it. This proved difficult,
because she had to read my answer. It took me a long time to come up with
this description, but I was quite pleased with it:

Very much her own person, she knows her own mind. _____ has a unique
outlook on life and is willing to do what it takes to acheive her
aims. She thrives on the company of others and makes a great first
impression. _____ can be very gregarious when the mood takes her, and
she meets life challenges head on. Assertive and resourceful, she is
always interesting to be around.

I was most disspointed that it didn't end up being used (she said that she
thought I thought she was hard working, honest and generous. *snort*)

Yowie

Keep us updated!! Is it an Aussie version or the one here in the US. I'd
watch it if I knew someone I knew knew someone who was on it.

Old February 7th 05, 02:47 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Helen
Miles at
wrote on 2/6/05 4:53 PM:

"Yowie" wrote in message

Why on earth do you have to give positive feedback if their work is crap? Or
has the education system gone all PC since I was in school (and often got a
bollocking from the teachers if my work wasn't the absolute best I could
do)//

They're all into this "Constructive critism" crap. One exam paper is so
utterly abysmal, I've just put a great big "F" on the front and written
"This is so bad, I can't even mark it!"

The projects they had to do had to explore conservation & ecological
theory to save a species. I know that I managed to convey what i wanted
in the report, as some of the projects are down-right spectacular and
one guy did one on Sumatran Tigers that littery blew me away it was that
good. (I've nomintaed him for the school prize). The problems is, I
would dearly like to write on others "Maybe it would help if you didn't
parrot large tracts of text back at me from the book I recommended, and
by the way you still know f*ck-all", but somehow I don't think that
would be construed as constructive! ;o)

Tiger definitely had the right idea!

Helen M

If their work is too bad, I just usually suggest that maybe they aren't
ready to take this class at this time. Generally, I suggest they go through
the English courses first since ours is writing intensive. What irks me is
when I get complaints about "too much writing". My class is probably the
LEAST writing intensive of classes that revolves around essays. Wait till
they have to do some other classes!

Old February 7th 05, 05:47 AM
Marina

Helen Miles wrote:
Anyway, HRFL Tiger is most put out that I have to pay attention to the
exam papers instead of him. So he did what I've been wanting to do all
day. He threw up a hairball over them. GO TIGER!

LOL! I used to teach some courses at uni, too, and the marking is the
worst bit. Fortunately, neither Frank nor Nikki ever made quite such a
visible statement of disgust. The worst they would do was lie on top of
the papers and cover them with cat hair. I could only hope the students
weren't allergic, because I had to hand the papers back to them after
marking them.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki
Old February 7th 05, 10:09 AM
Tish Silberbauer

Go Tiger!
I love teaching tertiary (university) students, but the grading still
sucks. Still, every now and then you get the joy of watching a
previously-clueless student with the light of understanding suddenly
dawn in their eyes (and exam papers). It's an amazing feeling knowing
that you've taught in such a way that a few of the students will
subsequently look at their world differently. For what it's worth, my
teaching has been in undergraduate and postgraduate ecology,
evolution, entomology and conservation.

Tish

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 18:16:42 -0500, Chris Havlicek
wrote:

Helen Miles wrote:
I recently have been doing some teaching of Bachelor stuents at a local
university. I enjoy the teaching, but *HATE* with a passion the marking
of asignments and exam papers. I'm currently in the middle of a 70 job
lot as the students have had their end of semester exams. It's a
particularly frustrating exercise because I have to give positive
feedback even when the student clearly has no grasp of what they are
supposed to have learned in the course.

Anyway, HRFL Tiger is most put out that I have to pay attention to the
exam papers instead of him. So he did what I've been wanting to do all
day. He threw up a hairball over them. GO TIGER!

Quite what I'll say to the chief examiner about it I have yet to decide,
but I feel sure I'll think of something!

Helen M (Very frustrated and fed up of marking)

Old February 7th 05, 03:56 PM
Jeanette

[...]

I had a pile of essays to mark once, and Izzi peed all over them. I
photocopied them and marked the photocopies. I did offer the originals back
to the students, but they all politely declined, oddly enough. I don't know
how it would work with exams though. Good luck

Jeanette

Old February 8th 05, 02:28 AM
Cheryl

On Mon 07 Feb 2005 09:39:53a, Karen wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
(news

I don't understand Survivor.

I understand Survivor, and it's the only reality show I like (other
than The Osbournes just for the entertainment value) but what I
really don't get is Fear Factor. Ugh.

Oh, and I like Surreal Life, also for the entertainment value. And I
must say that Peter Brady turned into a hunk.

--
Cheryl
Old February 8th 05, 09:07 PM
SUQKRT

In article lgate.org, "Helen
Miles" wrote:

Quite what I'll say to the chief examiner about it I have yet to decide, but I

feel sure I'll think of something!

Helen M (Very frustrated and fed up of mar

The cat ate your homework?
Suz
Macmoosette

"People that hate cats will come back as mice in their next life."
--Faith Resnick

|\__/|
(=':'=)
(")_(")

Old February 9th 05, 04:23 AM
Marina

SUQKRT wrote:

In article lgate.org, "Helen
Miles" wrote:

Quite what I'll say to the chief examiner about it I have yet to decide, but I

feel sure I'll think of something!

Helen M (Very frustrated and fed up of mar

The cat ate your homework?
Suz

I once actually had to say the cat threw up on my essay. And it was
true. /

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki