how do you get cat to use new bed

Old August 19th 03, 11:01 PM
Cathy Friedmann

Default how do you get cat to use new bed

"Kuisse0002" wrote in message
I am so exasperated with my cat and have gone back to the shop three times

do a return on all the beds.She has an outdoor bedding which she loves but

would like her to have and use an indoor bed as the tiles are cold and

hard and
it would be nice for her to cosy up in her own indoor bedding.

The fleece lined bed with a raised cushioned edge - she refuses to touch.

The
igloo one she refuses to go near and now a foam padded house shaped bed,

she
meows in distress when I hold her near to it.

How do you get a cat to use her indoor bedding?

She doesn't sleep on a chair, sofa, or one of the people beds? That's where
my cats usually sleep.

I bought a cat bed for a late cat - who did use it, & another cat now uses
it too, but only in the winter - & neither use(d) it much at night. The
third cat never uses the cat bed; she claimed the guest bed as her own years
ago.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Old August 19th 03, 11:26 PM
Bill

"Kuisse0002" wrote in message
I am so exasperated with my cat and have gone back to the shop three times

do a return on all the beds.She has an outdoor bedding which she loves but

would like her to have and use an indoor bed as the tiles are cold and

hard and
it would be nice for her to cosy up in her own indoor bedding.

The fleece lined bed with a raised cushioned edge - she refuses to touch.

The
igloo one she refuses to go near and now a foam padded house shaped bed,

she
meows in distress when I hold her near to it.

How do you get a cat to use her indoor bedding?

By buying or making bedding that she likes.

Why try to force a cat to use bedding just because you like it. If it is
for the cat, it should be something she likes.

The bedding needn't be anything fancy. I've know a cat who dearly loved
curling up in a plastic bucket with old rags in the bottom.

Bill

Old August 20th 03, 06:44 AM
Kuisse0002

How do you get a cat to use her indoor bedding?

Thank you everyone for your replies. Yes I do agree that what we fancy, the
cat doesn't necessarily like. Also, I agree that positioning is important too
and familiar smells, etc. I've taken all that into consideration. I've even
used part of her blanket to make thesmell familir to her. But to no avail.

Indoors, she sleeps on the sofa couch with us when we watch Tv and we leave her
on the sofa couch when we get up to go to sleep. Honestly I have no idea what
she does after we go to bed. I do know that in the morning sometimes she meows
on the tiles at the foot of the stairs. Waiting for me. Thats why I want to get
a "bed" so that she can stay/sleep in the bed to wait for me to come down
instead of hanging around the cold kitchen floor. Sometimes, she also sleeps on
the thick pile carpet. But I would like her to have a proper bedding so that
she can be comfortable sleeping indoors in her own bed.

I am going to allow her to sleep wherever she likes for now because for the
past few weeks, I have been putting her through some stress in introducing her
to the various beds.

Old August 20th 03, 08:01 AM
rafael

Kuisse0002 wrote:

I am so exasperated with my cat and have gone back to the shop three
times to do a return on all the beds.She has an outdoor bedding which
she loves but I would like her to have and use an indoor bed as the
tiles are cold and hard and it would be nice for her to cosy up in her
own indoor bedding.

The fleece lined bed with a raised cushioned edge - she refuses to
touch. The igloo one she refuses to go near and now a foam padded
house shaped bed, she meows in distress when I hold her near to it.

How do you get a cat to use her indoor bedding?

For the past two years I've been trying to get either of my two cats to
use the bed I bought them.

Seriously though they rarely use their cat bed. Most of the time they
sleep on various pieces of furniture, fish tanks, and their first
preference.. my lap!