Litter Dust / Crystals / Love Bites

Old January 3rd 04, 12:30 AM
.oO rach Oo.

My Stella and Delilah are both apartment cats. The clay litter did the same
to me when I first used it when they were first adopted plus it made the
apartment smell like litter (not the waste, just litter) I went out and got
a store brand clumping litter and a box of Arm and Hammer cat box freshener.
It's basically baking soda with a liquid activated scent which is quite mild
and pleasant. The girls didn't mind a bit, in fact I think they liked it
better because it was a finer grade of stone. Now I just scoop every day as
a ritual or once every other day and toss the plastic bag in the trash
(grocery bags). It hasn't smelled since.

Good luck!

It seems as if every time I change my kitten Charlie's litter, I
experience some major allergy symptoms centered solely in my eyes over
the next few days. I'm using Fresh Step Clay. Do you think it's an
allergy to their particular brand, or to clay litter in general? I
highly suspect that it could be due to the dust involved in pouring the
new litter; I don't seem to experience the symptoms when raking the
litter for poop, for example. I really don't think that it's due to
Charlie's dander, although I suppose I could be mistaken. Any
suggestions? Should I go get goggles and a dust mask from a hardware
store?

Also, as a possible solution, I had thought seriously about switching to
a crystals brand; Charlie's been remarkably adaptive in adjusting to
things (especially since he is a young 'un -- about four months now),
but I note that you're not supposed to flush the solid waste from
crystals down the toilet. (See

http://www.freshstep.com/crystals/faq.html#14.) How do people handle
that, then? I'm in an apartment building --
would this mean putting poop into a plastic bag and tossing it each
time? [Wouldn't you eventually run out of plastic bags? ;-)]

Old January 3rd 04, 04:54 AM
Dennis Carr

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 11:14:19 -0600, Mike Harris wrote:

Also, as a possible solution, I had thought seriously about switching to
a crystals brand; Charlie's been remarkably adaptive in adjusting to
things (especially since he is a young 'un -- about four months now),
but I note that you're not supposed to flush the solid waste from
crystals down the toilet. (See
http://www.freshstep.com/crystals/faq.html#14.) How do people handle
that, then? I'm in an apartment building -- would this mean putting
poop into a plastic bag and tossing it each time? [Wouldn't you
eventually run out of plastic bags? ;-)]

There seems to be a little bit of controversy on that. Some brands note
that you can flush solid waste, others recommend you don't do that. For
what it's worth, when we used it we had no problems flushing it
whatsoever.

--
Dennis Carr - | I may be out of my mind,
http://www.dennis.furtopia.org | But I have more fun that way.

Old January 3rd 04, 09:59 AM
-L.

Mike Harris wrote in message ...
It seems as if every time I change my kitten Charlie's litter, I
experience some major allergy symptoms centered solely in my eyes over
the next few days. I'm using Fresh Step Clay. Do you think it's an
allergy to their particular brand, or to clay litter in general? I
highly suspect that it could be due to the dust involved in pouring the
new litter; I don't seem to experience the symptoms when raking the
litter for poop, for example. I really don't think that it's due to
Charlie's dander, although I suppose I could be mistaken. Any
suggestions? Should I go get goggles and a dust mask from a hardware
store?

Fresh Step is highly perfumed - it may be the perfume. Buy a brand
that is 99.9% dust free - I like PreciousCat brand - I react to clay
litters too, and this one is the best I have found. You can always
get a particle mask and goggles - doesn't hurt!

Also, as a possible solution, I had thought seriously about switching to
a crystals brand; Charlie's been remarkably adaptive in adjusting to
things (especially since he is a young 'un -- about four months now),
but I note that you're not supposed to flush the solid waste from
crystals down the toilet. (See http://www.freshstep.com/crystals/faq.html#14.) How do people handle that, then? I'm in an apartment building --
would this mean putting poop into a plastic bag and tossing it each
time? [Wouldn't you eventually run out of plastic bags? ;-)]

DO NOT flush cat litter - of any kind - even the flushable type -
especially if you are in an apartment. They cause horrendous plumbing
problems. I use plastic grocery bags, tie them and put them in their
own can (lined with a regular trash bag) in the litter box room -
taking the trash out twice weekly.

Below I am posting a review of a test I did on the crystal litter. I
hated it.

One last thing ... Charlie is beginning to give love bites when he's
happy. They're cute as heck, and right now since he has baby teeth they
don't hurt that bad at all. But I'd like to discourage the 'love bite'
behavior, while not alienating him. I've already adopted the "NO!"
(accompanied by occasional water bottle mist) for other bad behavior,
which he's reacted to well. But I'm afraid discouraging him right when
he's being affectionate might train him right out of *any* affectionate
gesture, if you understand what I mean. Any idea? Or is this just
something that you just put up with as part and parcel of being a cat
owner?

I don't mind love bites. If they get too hard, or he starts a "love
attack" yell "NO!" and separate him from you for a few minutes.
Alternatively , you can cover his face lightly with your hand an HISS!
really loud - this is what a mother cat does to curb a kitten. Then
separate him from the play. Sometimes cats will do this when they get
overstimulated - make sure you are not overstimulating him.

Good luck,
-L.

**********
Repost of silical crystal litter test from May 2002:
**********

I like the idea of the silica crystals. So, I'm doing a "test" to see
if it will work for me and my cats. I did an initial transition to
the crystals last week, by mixing them into my old cat litter...This
week, I switched to an entire pan of the crystals.

Data:
Litter Select brand - largish crystals, including blue
"pretty-smelling" ones.
One bag is supposed to last 40 days with two cats (one box). Cost
$6.99/bag. Seems like a good deal.

Trial:

I filled the box on 5/13. New bag, clean box, lined it with the
provided "liner" that is supposed to soak up the pee that runs to the
bottom. Poured entire bag into box.

5/14 - no problem. Working as it is supposed to. The poops were
easily removed. The pee "balls" were stirred into the rest, as
instructed. Liner has pee spots on it, but looks ok.

By 5/15, the liner was getting pretty wet.

By today, 5/16, the liner is completely soaked, and pee is running
underneath the liner and starting to stink.

I think that by tomorrow, I will have to go to the pet supply store
and buy some of my old scoopable clay brand, Precious Cat, which, to
date, is still the best thing I have found to control odor and last
long. / I'm sorely disappointed, and will call the company to
inform them of my test.

Old January 3rd 04, 12:46 PM
Wendy

"Mike Harris" wrote in message

One last thing ... Charlie is beginning to give love bites when he's
happy. They're cute as heck, and right now since he has baby teeth they
don't hurt that bad at all. But I'd like to discourage the 'love bite'
behavior, while not alienating him. I've already adopted the "NO!"
(accompanied by occasional water bottle mist) for other bad behavior,
which he's reacted to well. But I'm afraid discouraging him right when
he's being affectionate might train him right out of *any* affectionate
gesture, if you understand what I mean. Any idea? Or is this just
something that you just put up with as part and parcel of being a cat
owner?

Much obliged in advance for your help, folks ...

Mike

When he bites gently push his face away, say ouch (or anything else that
indicates it hurts) and tell him no. After a while he'll back off when you
say "ouch" (or whatever you say)

Old January 6th 04, 01:15 AM
Mike Harris

I just wanted to write to thank absolutely everybody who responded. I'm
sorry I didn't respond earlier, but I've been suffering from either a
more severe version of the allergies, a cold, or a combination of both.

I brought home some scoopable litter (specifically the Arm & Hammer
Super Scoop Unscented Clumping Litter) but got extremely scared by this:

http://www.thelighthouseonline.com/m...s/letters.html

Also, Charlie did almost a total freakout when he saw the new litter.
He kept digging in the sand until he hit the bottom.

I'd love to try some of the stuff recommended here -- PreciousCat,
Swheat -- but they don't appear to be carried locally.

I'm thinking that I'm going to lift out the scoopable sand litter, put
back the Fresh Step for now, and then change it to crystals tomorrow.

Any further thoughts'd be appreciated!

Mike

Old January 6th 04, 01:36 AM
Linda E

[...]

I too am looking at changing my cats' litter to something less dusty.
(mainly for the sake of one of the cats, who has some stuffy nose problems)
I was reading on the back of a bag of litter the other day about how
gradually you should change the litter. Especially if it is a totally
different texture, the suggestion was putting one inch of the new stuff on
the bottom of the box and 2-3 inches of the old stuff on top. Said not to
mix; leave the mixing to the cats when they scratch.... then gradually put
more new litter and less old litter over the next few times you change the
boxes.

Good luck.

Linda