Cat ran away & it's cold outside

Old February 11th 07, 02:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
hamilton

Default Cat ran away & it's cold outside

Our 8 or 9-month-old make cat begged to be let out first thing this
morning and we haven;t seen him since. I guess he must have gotten
spring fever or something. He has never been out for more than a few
hours at a time, never over night.

I wouldn;t worry, exept that it's cold here, 33 degrees right now and
tonight it should go down to 13 degrees. He seems like a pretty smart
cat and also has an id tag, so I am hoping he goes to a neighbor's
house if he got lost.

Anyway, any thoughts on the liklihood of surviving a cold night like
this? Fortunately, he likes the cold. Still, I really hope he's smart
enough to make a next in the leaves or hole up in a shed. I'm
surprised none of the neighbors have seen him; you;d think he would
try scratching on a door, any door, if he's cold. It's a nice
neighborhood, and we know most of the neighbors and have alerted them.

Old February 11th 07, 03:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"hamilton" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

----------
Try checking close to home. First check around your own house. Neighbors'
decks, sheds, garages are good second choices. This is where indoor cats go
when they accidentally get outside and get scared. I have a feeling he may
have accidentally gotten himself trapped in a neighbor's garage and can't
get out and that's why he hasn't come back. If I were you, I would focus on
that. Good luck. Let us know what happens. You may want to reconsider having
him as an indoor/outdoor cat and just keep him inside all the time after
this.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old February 11th 07, 03:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
hamilton

Try checking close to home. First check around your own house. Neighbors'
decks, sheds, garages are good second choices. This is where indoor cats go
when they accidentally get outside and get scared. I have a feeling he may
have accidentally gotten himself trapped in a neighbor's garage and can't
get out and that's why he hasn't come back. If I were you, I would focus on
that. Good luck. Let us know what happens. You may want to reconsider having
him as an indoor/outdoor cat and just keep him inside all the time after
this.

Thanks Cindy--we've been searching the grounds and the whole
neighborhood all day for him, but I guess there's no way to know if he
got trapped in a garage unless he howls really loud. My husband's been
walking up and down the street calling for him, but maybe he's scared
in a strange garage and doesn't want to respond?

Old February 11th 07, 03:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
hamilton

That's one good thing about the winter time--- no leaves on the trees,
so it was easy for us to make sure he hadn't climbed a tree.

Our indoor cat would often get outside and then get stuck up high in a tree.
They instinctively climb up, and then look down and think "oh sh-t what do I
do now!?" and then stay up there until hunger gets to them.- Hide quoted text -

Old February 11th 07, 03:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"hamilton" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

-----------
When my father died, my friend came over to prepare some food for the post
funeral meal. She left the door ajar. I didn't realize until later that
evening that Amanda, an indoor-only cat, was missing. I was frantic. That
night was a huge thunderstorm. I couldn't sleep, thinking about her out in
it. After the funeral, people came to visit and asked if they could do
anything. I asked them to help me find my cat. After three days, I was
walking around the neighborhood for the umpteenth time, and my neighbor's
deck caught my eye. I had looked there already, but I was just drawn to it
again. I went over to the deck and started calling "Amanda, Amanda, Amanda!"
After a little bit, I thought I heard a faint "mew." I kept calling, and the
mew got louder and louder. Finally, she popped out. It took a while. She did
not come running out. She was covered in mud, but looked okay otherwise. I
was never so happy to get a cat home. Thinking I would never see that cat
again was the worst feeling in the world. I really feel for you. Don't give
up. Ask your neighbors to check their garages. Check under all decks. The
cat may be scared. Don't assume that just because the cat doesn't come
bounding out to greet you that he's not there. Please call any local animal
shelters. Sometimes people find what they think are "lost" pets and they
turn them into the shelter. Please keep us updated. What's your cat's name?
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old February 11th 07, 04:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

hamilton wrote:
[...]

Cats get stuck in neighbors' buildings all the time! Go from door to
door and ask each person to open all of their out buildings/garages and
check for your cat. Hang up posters that your cat is missing and ask
people on the poster to check their buildings.

If your cat never stays away like this, chances are very good that he
just can't get home on his own.

Rhonda

Old February 11th 07, 09:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Alan

Go bang on doors.
Our Pixibob mix Kirby disappeared one cold day when he was about a year old.
Only after going door to door in the neighborhood did we find him the next
day about two blocks away . The folks that had him said he showed up at the
back slider the night before with a bewildered look and showed no fear of
coming in. The gentleman of the house quipped "We figured him to be too nice
a cat to be a stray."
Best of luck.
Alan

ups.com...

Old February 11th 07, 03:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
honeybunch

On Feb 10, 8:37 pm, "hamilton" wrote:
Our 8 or 9-month-old make cat begged to be let out first thing this
morning and we haven;t seen him since. I guess he must have gotten

Has the cat been neutered, I wonder? Spring is in the air.