Melba surgery update

Old January 16th 08, 04:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Susan M[_3_]

Default Melba surgery update

Hi the

Melba made it through OK but it seems like aggressive and *expensive*
surgery. There was no obstruction so they took biopsies of a bunch of
organs and removed her spleen. The spleen removal was because it was
significantly enlarged and that is where cancer often starts???

In any case, she's at TEDs for 2-4 days and has a feeding tube that she
will have to have in for some time after she gets home. Don't know how
that works.

I don't know - it all happened so fast. She wasn't eating or
eliminating and had to get IV fluids for about 6 days ... then suddenly
her spleen is removed and she's got a feeding tube. Yikes. I don't
know all the ins and outs but I'm pretty worried about her recovering
from this and my SIL particularly is a basket case. She's just started
a very important semester at university so she needs to be mentally there.

My SIL's dad is going to take Sylvester on Friday for as long as it takes.

Susan M
Otis and Chester
Old January 16th 08, 10:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Susan M wrote:
Hi the

Melba made it through OK but it seems like aggressive and *expensive*
surgery. There was no obstruction so they took biopsies of a bunch of
organs and removed her spleen. The spleen removal was because it was
significantly enlarged and that is where cancer often starts???

Lots of purrs for Melba's recovery.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old January 16th 08, 01:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Susan M wrote:
I don't know - it all happened so fast. She wasn't eating or
eliminating and had to get IV fluids for about 6 days ... then suddenly
her spleen is removed and she's got a feeding tube. Yikes. I don't
know all the ins and outs but I'm pretty worried about her recovering
from this and my SIL particularly is a basket case. She's just started
a very important semester at university so she needs to be mentally there.

Lots and lots of healing purrs for Melba and soothing purrs for your SIL.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old January 16th 08, 02:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Susan M wrote:
[...]

Purrs continue for Melba's full (and as inexpensive as possible) recovery.

Jill

Old January 16th 08, 03:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Susan M" wrote in message
Hi the

Melba made it through OK but it seems like aggressive and *expensive*
surgery.

I'm glad she made it though, and I agree that it seems aggressive and *is*
expensive - it was ultra-expensive for me as it all happened on a Bank
Holiday when some of the vet costs are doubled.

There was no obstruction so they took biopsies of a bunch of
organs and removed her spleen. The spleen removal was because it was
significantly enlarged and that is where cancer often starts???

I think that is true. It proved to be where my Pearl's started. In humans
it seems to be the appendix. I queried why my appendix was removed when I
had my surgery and the surgeon said "we always take out the appendix while
we are in there, it's a reservoir for cancer cells."

In any case, she's at TEDs for 2-4 days and has a feeding tube that she
will have to have in for some time after she gets home. Don't know how
that works.

I don't know either. Pearl came home a few days after spleen removal and
she didn't have a feeding tube, maybe something has been misunderstood?

I don't know - it all happened so fast. She wasn't eating or eliminating
and had to get IV fluids for about 6 days ... then suddenly her spleen is
removed and she's got a feeding tube. Yikes. I don't know all the ins
and outs but I'm pretty worried about her recovering from this and my SIL
particularly is a basket case. She's just started a very important
semester at university so she needs to be mentally there.

If it's any help for your SIL to know , it took Pearlie-girlie 3-4 months to
get over her spleen removal. She seemed very depressed and ill for that
length of time. I wondered if I had done the right thing a few times.
With hindsight, she was 13. She went on to get bone cancer not too long
afterwards. Would I do it for a 13 y.o. again? Maybe not, although I like
to give my pets the best chance and tend to go for it. For an 8 year old
cat, I am fairly sure I would.

We will continue to pray and purr for Melba.

Tweed

Old January 16th 08, 06:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn

Susan M wrote:
[...]

Purrs for Melba and those who love her. I hope she recovers quickly and
turns out to be okay.

Ginger-lyn

--
Home Pages:
http://www.moonsummer.com
Old January 17th 08, 03:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
sam

Susan M wrote:
[...]

Purrs continuing for Melba.

Sam, supervised by Mistletoe
Old January 18th 08, 01:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
GaDragonfly

On Jan 15, 11:39 pm, Susan M wrote:
[...]

Purr and gentle headbutts for Melba to recover from her surgery and
live a long life and purrs and gentle headbutts for all of your in-
laws for all they are doing to help both Melba and Sylvester.
Julie, Hobbes, Lacey, Sam and Barnabus
Old January 20th 08, 10:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

Susan M wrote:

Hi the

Melba made it through OK but it seems like aggressive and *expensive*
surgery. There was no obstruction so they took biopsies of a bunch of
organs and removed her spleen. The spleen removal was because it was
significantly enlarged and that is where cancer often starts???

snip
My SIL's dad is going to take Sylvester on Friday for as long as it takes.

Susan M
Otis and Chester

We are sending lots and lots of purrs and best wishes for Melba to
recover completely,
Polonca and Soncek