I am an idiot - Star

Old January 18th 08, 01:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Susan M[_3_]

Default I am an idiot - Star

I have been to visit Star twice now. This second time, he settled on my
lap and purred again. Curled up in the tiniest little cat disc (how can
a cat be so small?) and purred. He kneaded and rubbed and mrrp'd. He
looked at me with his beautiful golden orbs. He likes me and he trusts me.

They said that they thought that he must have been abused because of how
careful you have to be around his head. Also, he has cowered when men
have been in the room. I have now developed a story about him which may
be completely incorrect. He seemed so comfortable and loving on my lap
and it made me think that he was some girl's or woman's pet and some
nasty guy hurt the girl by taking the cat and dumping him in the park
behind our house.

I haven't slept well in 11 months and I'm very emotional. I'm trying to
wean the baby for a variety of medical reasons and the baby is
hysterical. I'm not sleeping. Fred is not sleeping, and the baby is
not sleeping. My MIL has pancreatic cancer, I'm going in for major
surgery (non-elective but non-life threatening) in four weeks and will
be unable to lift the baby after for 12 weeks (very stressful for both
of us), my husband is travelling with his new job, my son is still
unhappy, my son still has allergies, and my cats seem to be slowing down.

I found out that, if he isn't adopted tonight, Star will be PTS tomorrow
AM. I didn't save the cat to have him killed off.

So, I put my name in to call if no angel shows up tonight. I will go
and adopt him and foster him until I can find him a home. And I have to
find him a home. I can't inflict 3 cats on Sam and I can't have 3
outdoor cats in the neighbourhood - its impossible to keep one in while
the others go outside.

So, I will segregate him in Jane's bedroom and Otis will go berserk
keeping all of us up, including my school-aged daughter. Fred is not
happy about this. He is afraid that Otis will start peeing again and/or
Star will. I am worried about the disruption in our already stressed
out over-tired household.

What else am I to do?

Susan M
Otis and Chester
Old January 18th 08, 01:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
GaDragonfly

On Jan 17, 8:06 pm, Susan M wrote:
[...]

Susan,
We are sending you lots of purrs that you are able to find Star a
onetruehome really soon. We all know you couldn't have done anything
less than what you have because we all know you, but we also know it
isn't an ideal situation for you so hopefully it won't last long. You
are hero in the eyes of my furry family.

Julie, Hobbes, Lacey, Sam and Barnabus

Old January 18th 08, 01:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

Right now, taking Star in is as non-elective as any of the other things that
are going on in your life.

And like the other things that are going on, I pray and purr that everything
works out as it should and in the fairly near future.

While taking in Star will of course make things more difficult, so will not
taking him.

I really don't mean this to sound as if I'm telling you what to do, just
trying to repeat make what you've already said you have to do.

I'm guessing your emotional state is one of the most critical things going
on for all of you right now. And it is what it is. Anyone in their almost
right mind would be feeling extremely emotional right now in the same
circumstances. So you have to do what you need to do for you as much as
you are able. Sitting and holding Star the next while could be a Godsend.

Purrs of course for you and your family.

Remember, you aren't doing anything wrong. It just feels that way
sometimes. Such is being a parent. The baby will adjust. Of course he's
unhappy about it right now, but he has been so lucky to have all these
months.

Extra purrs that Otis behaves a lot better than you expect.

Jo

Old January 18th 08, 01:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Susan M wrote:
What else am I to do?

You are not an idiot, you are a wonderful, caring and loving human
being. Purrs that Star finds his forever home soon!

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old January 18th 08, 02:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"GaDragonfly" wrote in message
On Jan 17, 8:06 pm, Susan M wrote:
[...]

What Julie said. You are a hero, doing your best for everyone if a very
tough situation. We are so proud of you. Purrs that your life gets less
hectic....

Yowie

Old January 18th 08, 03:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
sam

Susan M wrote:
[...]

First of all, you are *not* an idiot. You a sensitive and caring person
who can't bear the alternative to fostering Star to give him a chance.

Sending you and your family our strongest purrs and prayers that
everyone comes through these ordeals as well as can be expected.

Sam, supervised by Mistletoe
Old January 18th 08, 04:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Susan M[_3_]

sam wrote:

First of all, you are *not* an idiot. You a sensitive and caring person
who can't bear the alternative to fostering Star to give him a chance.

Sending you and your family our strongest purrs and prayers that
everyone comes through these ordeals as well as can be expected.

I clicked on their website to see his picture again tonight and there
were tons of kitties on there - more than I've ever seen. He is but one
of whole bunch of kitties who won't make it. Every one of them is
deserving. Ugh.

Susan M
Otis and Chester
Old January 18th 08, 05:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Susan M wrote:

What else am I to do?

I agree with Julie, you're not an idiot but definitely a hero. It is a
very difficult situation, and I wish I could help you bear the burden of
it all. We will be purring for Star to find a perfect forever home ASAP.
And we will be purring for you and the rest of your family in this
difficult situation.

Old January 18th 08, 06:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
GaDragonfly

On Jan 17, 11:44 pm, Susan M wrote:
sam wrote:
First of all, you are *not* an idiot. You a sensitive and caring person
who can't bear the alternative to fostering Star to give him a chance.

Sending you and your family our strongest purrs and prayers that
everyone comes through these ordeals as well as can be expected.

I clicked on their website to see his picture again tonight and there
were tons of kitties on there - more than I've ever seen. He is but one
of whole bunch of kitties who won't make it. Every one of them is
deserving. Ugh.

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Susan,
Every one of those kittens is deserving, this is true, but only one of
those kittens has captured your heart right now and even helping that
one is stretching your resources. Do not think about what is going to
happen to the others. Sometimes that is the only way to stay sane.
Stay focused on the good you are doing by rescuing Star and giving him
a chance at a better home. After this experience you might find that
Otis doesn't respond as violently as you suspect might happen, that
young Sam might not be as allergic to a foster cat. You might learn
that you can foster one cat at a time and help some of the others, but
right now, focus on yourself, your family and what you can do for
Star. Remember you are doing a very good thing, don't get depressed
over the ones you can't help, enjoy the pride in helping Star.

Hugs,
Julie