Corona Virus (FIP)

Old October 30th 07, 05:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sheelagh>o

Default Corona Virus (FIP)

I have just had some results for a cat we took to the vets just over a
week ago, to say that one of the cats we took in has corona virus. I
have done a quick search on this subject, & it all seems very gloom &
doom. From what I understand, corona virus is extremely contagious,
but FIP, isn't. Is this correct? Also, what measures can I take other
than extreme care between handling, to help myself & the cat
concerned. Has anyone else been through this, & what were their
experiences. Also, if anyone has anything ( none of our cats are
affected, yet) to contribute to this, I would love to hear from you to
please?
TIA',
Sheelagh"o"

Old October 31st 07, 12:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

Is the cat showing any symptoms? If not why did you have it tested?

From what I understand 85% of all cats can test positive for the corona
virus at some point in their lives and the vast majority go on to live
perfectly normal, healthy lives. If you have a relatively small population
of cats they can clear the virus with no exceptional steps being taken by
you aside from frequent scooping of litter boxes.

http://www.dr-addie.com/PreventionS1.htm

Wendy

oups.com...

Old October 31st 07, 10:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

"Sheelagho" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have just had some results for a cat we took to the vets just over a
week ago, to say that one of the cats we took in has corona virus. I
have done a quick search on this subject, & it all seems very gloom &
doom. From what I understand, corona virus is extremely contagious,
but FIP, isn't. Is this correct? Also, what measures can I take other
than extreme care between handling, to help myself & the cat
concerned. Has anyone else been through this, & what were their
experiences. Also, if anyone has anything ( none of our cats are
affected, yet) to contribute to this, I would love to hear from you to
please?
TIA',
Sheelagh"o"

is FIP contagious? NO. Each cat who ends up with the FIP mutation must
'manufacture' their own. There also is not test that will detect the FIP
mutation. The tests all will tell you if the cat is positive for FCoV but
not the specific mutation that causes FIP.

Wendy

Old October 31st 07, 06:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sheelagh>o

On 31 Oct, 00:15, "Wendy" wrote:
Is the cat showing any symptoms? If not why did you have it tested?

From what I understand 85% of all cats can test positive for the corona
virus at some point in their lives and the vast majority go on to live
perfectly normal, healthy lives. If you have a relatively small population
of cats they can clear the virus with no exceptional steps being taken by
you aside from frequent scooping of litter boxes.

http://www.dr-addie.com/PreventionS1.htm

Wendy

"Sheelagho" wrote in message

oups.com...

I have just had some results for a cat we took to the vets just over a
week ago, to say that one of the cats we took in has corona virus. I
have done a quick search on this subject, & it all seems very gloom &
doom. From what I understand, corona virus is extremely contagious,
but FIP, isn't. Is this correct? Also, what measures can I take other
than extreme care between handling, to help myself & the cat
concerned. Has anyone else been through this, & what were their
experiences. Also, if anyone has anything ( none of our cats are
affected, yet) to contribute to this, I would love to hear from you to
please?
TIA',
Sheelagh"o"- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for replying Wendy. Yes, He was showing what I thought were
classic symptoms of CornaVirus. He had become lethargic, was
experiencing weight loss, his little belly was swelling, & as I had
just treated him for worms, I disclosed that. Initially, I thought it
might possibly be a problem with a cataract, but the vet excluded that
one as well. His personality was a little off, but nothing specific,
so I decided to take him in to see what they could find. Just over a
week later, I got the result back telling me that it was cornea virus.
To be honest, it frightened the socks off me, but now that I have had
a bit of time to absorb this news, it isn't as bad as I thought it
might be. Thanks for the links too Wendy, they were very informative &
helpful too.

It looks like it is a matter of good hygiene & completely separate
litter boxes which are to be cleared every single time I notice it has
been used. Thanks again,

Sheelagh "o"

Old October 31st 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sheelagh>o

On 31 Oct, 02:53, "Matthew" wrote:
I am sorry the furball is going thru this. I was wonder where you
disappeared to

oups.com...

On 31 Oct, 02:53, "Matthew" wrote:
I am sorry the furball is going thru this. I was wonder where you
disappeared to

It's just bad luck. The cat in question is a skinny little tabby cat.
He has been looking a little rough for a week or so before I picked
him up & decided to take him to the vets. ( stray we think). He has
been back up there today, & they have kept him in for a few more tests
The reason you haven't seen e around is because my hotmail account was
hacked & I got locked out of it, so I have no email addresses to be
able to access them to let everyone know that this is what happened.

Look @ my old email address, & replace the _ with a -& you have my
email address again. Same provider, much stronger password this time.
Very inconvenient, but my own fault for not keeping a copy of my
contacts on the hard drive. Still, the damage is done now. I am trying
to get it reinstated again now, but whether they will or not is
another question. I would have let you know sooner, but I couldn't
remember your email address. I tried to let you know, but I must have
got it wrong because it bounced back @ me again....
Speak soon,
sheelagh "o"

Old October 31st 07, 08:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

[...]

The positive titre for corona doesn't indicate that the cat has FIP only
that it's corona positive. Look on the site I sent you for the combination
of blood work results that are a more reliable diagnostic tool than a corona
test alone. If you are convinced that you are dealing with FIP then the
outlook isn't good. I have yet to hear of a cat with FIP ultimately make it.
Last I heard there isn't any effective treatment for it. Just make sure
that's what you're dealing with before you throw in the towel. Some vets
will call anything they can't diagnose easily FIP whether it is or not.

Hope your kitty has something else.

Wendy

Old October 31st 07, 10:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sheelagh>o

On 31 Oct, 20:31, "Wendy" wrote:

[...]

Wendy- Hide quoted text -

The positive titre for corona doesn't indicate that the cat has FIP only
that it's corona positive. Look on the site I sent you for the combination
of blood work results that are a more reliable diagnostic tool than a corona
test alone. If you are convinced that you are dealing with FIP then the
outlook isn't good. I have yet to hear of a cat with FIP ultimately make it.
Last I heard there isn't any effective treatment for it. Just make sure
that's what you're dealing with before you throw in the towel. Some vets
will call anything they can't diagnose easily FIP whether it is or not

I have read the page that you sent me & it did make it clear that most
cats test possitive for Coronavirus @ some point in their lives, but
that not all cats go on to develop the full blown FIP. So far, all we
have is a possitive result for Corona virus. I'm trying hard not to
convince myself that he will have the mutation that results into FIP,
but staying optimistic as possible that we won't get a full blown
FIP.

The main reason that he was kept in, was because he was dehydrated &
not eating, & as they needed to do some more blood work, we felt it
was best to leave him there. He really did look quite poorly.
Sometimes I wonder how long he has been feeling this way. Cats
instinctively try to hide any illness because it is like announcing
they are weak. He had been looking ropey for about a 5 days, & when I
noticed that his water bowl was continuously undrunk from, I took him
straight down there. a dry litter box, uneaten food & a full water
bowl are never good signs, are they?

As far as I know, we are bringing him home tomorrow- Unless the
bloods show that he has something that we are running a loosing battle
against. I trust this vet's integrity, & I know he will do what is
best for the cat, rather than what is best for me. It doesn't look
very promising though. I have never seen such a scrawny little fellow
before. He look like an adult cat, but the size of a 4 month old
kitten.
I will keep you updated with news when we have some. Thanks again
Wendy,
Sheelagh "o"

Old October 31st 07, 10:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Paul M. Cook

"Sheelagho" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have just had some results for a cat we took to the vets just over a
week ago, to say that one of the cats we took in has corona virus. I
have done a quick search on this subject, & it all seems very gloom &
doom. From what I understand, corona virus is extremely contagious,
but FIP, isn't. Is this correct? Also, what measures can I take other
than extreme care between handling, to help myself & the cat
concerned. Has anyone else been through this, & what were their
experiences. Also, if anyone has anything ( none of our cats are
affected, yet) to contribute to this, I would love to hear from you to
please?
TIA',
Sheelagh"o"

Buddy was diagnosed FIP positive in early 04 via the Western Blot test. He
lived until last week with no symptoms at all nor were the other cats in
danger of contracting it. All his blood work since the diagnosis was fine.
Corona virii are crazy things and scientists do not fully understand them.
I do know that to be exposed to a CV is not to mean the cat has it active or
ever will have it become active. There is no need to do anything. If your
cats get along well and they do not exchange saliva through bites, you have
little to worry about.

Paul

Old October 31st 07, 11:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

"Sheelagho" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 31 Oct, 20:31, "Wendy" wrote:

[...]

Here's the page that I was talking about. It gives the combination of
symptoms and test results to look for.

http://www.dr-addie.com/WhatIsFIP.ht...sis%20of%20FIP

Old November 1st 07, 01:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sheelagh>o

On 31 Oct, 23:53, "Wendy" wrote:
"Sheelagho" wrote in message

oups.com...

On 31 Oct, 20:31, "Wendy" wrote:

[...]

http://www.dr-addie.com/WhatIsFIP.ht...is%20of%20FIP- Hide quoted text -

Once more I am indebted to you. You really have pulled the cat out of
the bag on this one ( no pun intended).
All of these sites have been a wealth of information. I never knew
there was that much to know. Another day, another thing learned!
Thanks you Wendy,
Sheelagh "o"