ants in the kitty litter

Old March 16th 08, 10:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jewelbar

Default ants in the kitty litter

Hi People!
I'm just wondering if I should worry that there are ants in my cat's litter.
They are only going after his urine. I know that if a person has diabetes,
ants will be attracted to their toilets, so I was wondering if the same was
for cats.
He always looses weight over summer, but this time he's a bit bonier than
usual.
Thanks,
Jade.

Old March 16th 08, 11:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Jewelbar exclaimed (3/16/2008 8:10 PM):
Hi People!
I'm just wondering if I should worry that there are ants in my cat's litter.
They are only going after his urine. I know that if a person has diabetes,
ants will be attracted to their toilets, so I was wondering if the same was
for cats.
He always looses weight over summer, but this time he's a bit bonier than
usual.
Thanks,
Jade.

I assume you're taking him to the vet to have him checked out?
Untreated diabetes is just as bad in cats as people. And, there's other
disorders that cause weight loss too - like hyperthyroid.

Is he an indoor cat, or does he go outdoors?

As for the ants, I'm not sure what to do. With pets food, it sometimes
works to put a food bowl in a container of water, so the water surrounds
the food. I'm not sure if doing the same thing for a litterbox is a
good idea or not... I'd treat the path the ants are taking, and put down
a long-term insect barrier at the points they are getting into the house.

jmc
Old March 16th 08, 01:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"Jewelbar" jaderemove(at)spamjaywings(dot)com wrote in message
u...
Hi People!
I'm just wondering if I should worry that there are ants in my cat's
litter. They are only going after his urine. I know that if a person has
diabetes, ants will be attracted to their toilets, so I was wondering if
the same was for cats.
He always looses weight over summer, but this time he's a bit bonier than
usual.
Thanks,
Jade.

In addition to what jmc wrote: What type of litter are you using? Your
primary goal, of course, will be to check on your cat's health. Second will
be to eliminate (or try to) ants' access to the litter box. However, the
third thing I thought about is the litter itself, as contrasted with the
contents. Are you using a litter a grain-based litter, such as The World's
Best Cat Litter? If so, you may want to temporarily change to a different
type of litter until the ant problem is solved. (Of course, that will not
be a "solution" if the ants are attracted to the feces or urine -- which is
what you already suspect -- rather than to the litter.)

I do want to emphasize what jmc said about taking your cat to a vet. Do not
delay. If it is diabetes, it can be treated, and "the sooner the better."
Are you using dry cat food of any type? If so, discontinue that and use a
premium canned food. (I use Wellness.) Cats do not need the carbs in dry
food, and it is a myth to think that eating dry food will somehow clean a
cat's teeth. Cats do not chew as we do; they "crunch" on their food.
Moreover, think about what happens when people eat something hard and
crunchy, such as pretzels. They are tasty, but they certainly do not clean
our teeth or keep our gums in good condition. (I realize that all this is
beyond what you asked, but I added it because you indicated a concern with
possible diabetes -- a very well-founded concern with cats, but something
that can be treated and often can be prevented with a change in diet.)

MaryL

Old March 16th 08, 05:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mlbriggs

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 20:40:31 +1000, Jewelbar wrote:

Hi People!
I'm just wondering if I should worry that there are ants in my cat's
litter. They are only going after his urine. I know that if a person has
diabetes, ants will be attracted to their toilets, so I was wondering if
the same was for cats.
He always looses weight over summer, but this time he's a bit bonier than
usual.
Thanks,
Jade.

Worrying is ineffective -- take him to
ted. MLB
Old March 16th 08, 11:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"jmc" wrote

good idea or not... I'd treat the path the ants are taking, and put down a
long-term insect barrier at the points they are getting into the house.

I'll add another tip if she can find the outside spot they are entering
from.

On a dry day, take a box of old fashioned (not microwave) grits and pour a
small mound there at the ant hill and entrance. They eat it and it expands
in their tummies and well... no more ant. Environmentally safe for all.