OT...Drive Crash

Old August 28th 04, 06:38 PM

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 17:00:23 GMT, ":-\)Liz"
wrote:

Well, not being the best at computer repair and not being able to get the
drives manufacture to give me any help and finding no one willing to work on
such a small drive recovery...I guess, Ill just have to limp along without
most every application/program and my old mail gone.....until I can afford
to get a new drive and or when DH is back in country and can try his hand at
recovery...sigggn...At least I am able to be online(after unplugging the
dead drive... my C Drive will boot up again) ...the drive that died was my
secondary drive...at Christmas, after a overhaul of my puter....the mail and
all applications were moved to this drive(the 120 gig one)(for safe keeping
hhahaahhahaha)..(E...with it partitioned into E,F,G,and H)Scan Disk tries to
scan but finds sector/cluster problems at 15% in E and freezes up.....and
so...I shall unplug the drive again ...and do what I can with what I have
left....:-) Liz

":-)Liz" wrote in message
om...
Ok, other than the fact the kitties keep trying to help me work on my
computer(getting their wittle fuzzy heads and furry paws in the way...)

this
doesn't really involve kitties......my Big 120 gig hard drive died last
night(I'd moved most of everything out of my C drive and place it
here..."for safe keeping" when I got this drive at Xmas)...Alas, when it
died... it took with it ALL my mail, 90% of my programs,and
applications,records, info,cat pictures, ect....(sadly it took all my cat
and other videos, Flash or otherwise...sigggghhhhhh Cat Herding and Cows
Have Guns)....I want to inquire...is there a way to retrieve my data and
such from the dead drive? Can it be removed and taken somewhere and the

info
be extracted or is that just something tv/movies show
happening?.....Sighhhhhhhhhhhhh :-)Liz(who is atleast up and running with

my
news groups reinstalled, though, without not much else as this is a small
hard drive with little room left on it)

Liz:
Try the ultimate boot CD.
lf you have a CD burner that can do ISO files.
Here is the link.
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

It has some very useful tools that might help you out.

Old August 28th 04, 08:51 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

:-)Liz wrote:

[...]

When our system crashed at work (we're a CPA firm, do taxes on in-house
software, and it was the middle of tax season) we sent the network drive
to some company that specializes in retrieval, and they were able to
reconstruct nearly everything. It was rather expensive, IIRC, but in
our case it was a necessary expense!

Old August 28th 04, 10:15 PM
:-\)Liz

I'll give this site a look see this evening and see what I come up
with..Thanks! :-) Liz

Old August 28th 04, 10:56 PM
Cheryl

In the fine newsgroup "rec.pets.cats.anecdotes", Bob M
artfully composed this message within
on 28 Aug 2004:

The above info is good. Also people have had good results by
sticking the old drive in the freezer for a few hours. Then put
it in the computer and transfer your data to a new drive. Quite
a few times this will allow you just enough time to get your
data off the old drive.

I have to second this. It's worked for me a few times. Didn't recover
everything, but went straight to the important stuff and refroze,
tried again a couple of times.

--
Cheryl

[OT] Exploding CD Yowie Cat anecdotes 34 May 20th 04 11:11 AM
Going for a little drive... TJ Cat anecdotes 48 May 8th 04 06:50 PM
[OT] Crash and burn MaryL Cat anecdotes 25 March 17th 04 10:28 PM
Gonna drive Persia Nuts... jmcquown Cat anecdotes 3 December 6th 03 12:19 AM