Accuracy of FeLV/FIV Tests?

Old February 10th 07, 10:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Louis

Default Accuracy of FeLV/FIV Tests?

My sister and I have a disagreement maybe someone can shed light on this.

We have a three year old cat (Candy) that was around others cats, one of
which that tested positive for feline leukemia virus. So we isolated Candy
for TWO months and got her tested for FeLV/FIV. The vet drew blood and sent
it to a lab and it came back negative. We are planning on giving her away
to a new owner who already has a cat, so we have some concern about the
possibility of a false negative. Someone told my sister that for best
results, you must wait THREE months before you test to allow the virus to
activate because FeLV can be dormant for awhile. So my sister wants to warn
this lady that even though the test came back negative, that because we
didn't wait for three months, the results may not be as valid as they could
be.

I'd like to get some quantification on this. Is there any research
indicating that waiting three months would significantly reduce false
negatives than waiting two months? What is the probability of her having
FeLV if the test comes back negative after a one month isolation from other
cats? After a two month isolation? After a three month isolation? Sorry I
don't know the exact kind of test, but just assume it's a standard FeLV/FIV
blood test.

Thanks,
Louis

Old February 24th 07, 10:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Catlover Medway via CatKB.com

Your sister is absolutely right, there is a latency period. The standard in-
house test has been associated with false positives. Where a positive is
found, it should always be backed-up by a Gold Standard lab test by a
veterinary hospital.

http://www.fabcats.org/felv_000.html