Caught in the act!

Old May 24th 05, 05:35 PM
Pat

Default Caught in the act!

BIK Beatrice, whose smurgling on my earlobe keeps me from falling asleep
every night until I lock her out of the bedroom, has been caught in the act
of eating DRY kibble from the 'big cats' dish'. What I don't get is why, if
she's capable of eating dry kibbles, she still has to seek milk from my
ears. And not just while I am laying down - it can and does happen
throughout the day, anytime I am sitting down. She climbs up onto my
shoulder at every opportunity to suck my earlobe. Each time she does it I
place her down in front of a bowl of wet food. She'll eat a few bites, then
climb right back up onto my shoulder....

Old May 24th 05, 05:41 PM
CatNipped

"Pat" wrote in message
BIK Beatrice, whose smurgling on my earlobe keeps me from falling asleep
every night until I lock her out of the bedroom, has been caught in the
act
of eating DRY kibble from the 'big cats' dish'. What I don't get is why,
if
she's capable of eating dry kibbles, she still has to seek milk from my
ears. And not just while I am laying down - it can and does happen
throughout the day, anytime I am sitting down. She climbs up onto my
shoulder at every opportunity to suck my earlobe. Each time she does it I
place her down in front of a bowl of wet food. She'll eat a few bites,
then
climb right back up onto my shoulder....

I don't think it has anything to do with her seeking food, I think it has to
do with her seeking comfort and a feeling of security. When Sammy first
came to us at 6 weeks old, she used to suck on my neck (try explaining
*those* hickies at work!), until I "trained" her to suck her toe instead. I
thought it was just because we had to take her from her mom so young and
that she'd grow out of it, but she's 13 months old now, 15 pounds, and she
still hops up on my lap for a good toe suck at least 2 or 3 times a day! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old May 24th 05, 05:46 PM
Pat

"CatNipped" wrote

When Sammy first
came to us at 6 weeks old, she used to suck on my neck (try explaining
*those* hickies at work!), until I "trained" her to suck her toe instead.

How, pray tell, can I train Beatrice to suck her own toe?

Old May 24th 05, 06:09 PM
CatNipped

"Pat" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote

When Sammy first
came to us at 6 weeks old, she used to suck on my neck (try explaining
*those* hickies at work!), until I "trained" her to suck her toe instead.

How, pray tell, can I train Beatrice to suck her own toe?

All I did was, whenever Sammy started sucking on my neck I would move her
away from my neck and take her back foot (she needed her front paws for
kneading) and put it in front of her face (just moving her away didn't help
at all, she was a persistent little sucker (pun intended!)). I had to let
her lay next to me so she could still knead on me, though - that was a
"must" for her. ;

For a while, when I tried to get to sleep and she kept me awake sucking my
neck, I would move her and put her toe in front of her face about 10 or 15
times, but if she kept trying to suck on my neck after that, I had to put
her in the bathroom. After a few days she learned that if she just sucked
her toe while she kneaded me and not my neck she got to stay in the bed with
me.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old May 24th 05, 07:17 PM
Pat

"CatNipped" wrote

[...]

I'm going to try this, for sure.

It's not so much the sucking that keeps me awake, it's the purring right
into my ear.

Old May 24th 05, 08:13 PM
CatNipped

"Pat" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote

[...]

LOL! Sammy not only purrs loudly when she sucks, she also makes *LOUD*
smacking noises. Turn the sound up on your computer and take a look at her
in action he http://www.possibleplaces.com/CatNipped/Toe_Suck_Movie/

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old May 25th 05, 12:27 AM
Dan and Nancy Mahoney

Pat wrote:
BIK Beatrice, whose smurgling on my earlobe keeps me from falling asleep
every night until I lock her out of the bedroom, has been caught in the act
of eating DRY kibble from the 'big cats' dish'. What I don't get is why, if
she's capable of eating dry kibbles, she still has to seek milk from my
ears. And not just while I am laying down - it can and does happen
throughout the day, anytime I am sitting down. She climbs up onto my
shoulder at every opportunity to suck my earlobe. Each time she does it I
place her down in front of a bowl of wet food. She'll eat a few bites, then
climb right back up onto my shoulder....

Ranger does this too. I think it's more of an instinctive comfort thing
than an actual attempt to find milk. Ranger will try to suck on my
eyelids and earlobes. One night I allowed her to suck on my eyelid for a
few minutes; the next morning I had a kitten-hickey on my eyelid!

Now I stick a finger in front of her when she starts in on an earlobe or
eyelid, and she gets sidetracked into sucking on the end of a finger.

Old May 25th 05, 12:48 AM
Mischief

Oho, i know about that part.

When Mischief curls up on my pillow next to me, not only does she block
the fan, which really sucks on hot nights, but she's totally purring up
a storm and it just keeps me awake. I normally just roll over, but
sometimes it gets so bad, i ruffle the blankets like i can't get comfy,
and she doesn't like to be covered by the blankets, so she jumps off.

Kristi

The Kitties Caught the Mouse! Mary Cat anecdotes 23 March 7th 05 06:46 PM
caught the mother Ann Cat anecdotes 58 November 10th 04 09:11 PM
Shamrock caught a cicada Cheryl Cat anecdotes 59 May 28th 04 11:12 PM
Finally Caught One Hailey Cat health & behaviour 2 March 24th 04 02:18 AM
I caught him!!! Long Don & Lisa Cat anecdotes 1 November 25th 03 09:18 PM