Charming (?) bedtime rituals

Old January 5th 07, 06:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Susan M

Default Charming (?) bedtime rituals

Every night in this desert-like climate, I put thick Carmex lip balm on my
dry lips and crawl into bed. Every night, Otis circles around, and settles
with his shedding fur onto my tacky lips. Tarred and feathered lips every
night ;-)

Every night, Otis waits until we settle down in bed, jumps up on Fred's
side, walks on his head and stands purring and meowing (at the same time)
while I reassure him that he is a handsome loved cat. Problem is, his butt
always ends up inches from Fred's face while we do this. Fred doesn't like
this.

Then, Otis extends his claws and scratches my forehead so that I will lift
up the covers - he used to just tap with sheathed claws - don't know why he
changed. He goes in, turns around, and settles to face me. I'd rather he
spooned with me but, instead, he flops down with his face covering all my
breathing holes and all four feet pushing into my chest and stomach. Ouch.
Lately, he's been providing still unborn junior with strong accupressure
points.

He's very stubborn when you try to move him away from the breathing
apperatus and gets up, readjusts, and settle back in IN EXACTLY THE SAME
POSITION multiple times. Every night. It is a contest of wills that I
obviously have to win every time or I'd suffocate. Still, he persists in
trying. It takes quite some time to settle it.

If you push him too far, he'll jump back off the bed and start the whole
routine again. You don't want that.

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Old January 5th 07, 07:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

"Susan M" wrote:
[...]

I'm familiar with this routine, sort of. Is any part of Otis's
routine done like he's waiting for an elevator? That's what I call it
when Betty would come to me while I was in bed and paw at me or the
covers a couple of times, then sit waiting and purring for the covers
to be lifted. It reminded me of someone pressing a button for an
elevator.

Old January 5th 07, 12:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Susan M wrote:
If you push him too far, he'll jump back off the bed and start the whole
routine again. You don't want that.

He gives is a role model in stubborness.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old January 5th 07, 02:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

Susan M wrote:
[...]

Of course you wouldn't part with them for the world. ;-)
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old January 5th 07, 02:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

Susan M wrote:

Problem is, his butt
always ends up inches from Fred's face while we do this. Fred doesn't like
this.

Hmmm for some reason yet another story to remind me of the previous
owners of the title "Fabulous Furballs"

They had a little morning ritual. Isis would come and sit on me to
demand reassurance that she was the most beautiful cat in Christendom ,
Fugazi would walk over me to get the same from Dave so many mornings as
I opened my eyes, the very first thing I would see was Fugazi's butt!
Worse still she would sometimes in her excitement at seeing Paw- pass
wind!

Isn't it odd how things change with cats? When we got Speedy Joe he got
cheap catfood and was never allowed in the bedroom. Then we got our
tabby girls who slept in the bedroom if the weather was warm enough
(Isis was a total bed hog and we'd often end up on a 4 feet 6 inch bed
with Dave and me both balanced on 3 inches each while she took the rest
of it up!) their diet was "Felix" tinned catfood with occasional treats
of dried.

Now we have Dunz and Sarsi whom we would never dream of closing the
bedroom door on and eat pouches of wet (Not tins) and Hills S/D

I think it's down to knowing more as time goes on. Oh and so many
people on this list extolling the virtue of Hills S/D etc over GoCat
and IAMS then again I agree totally having seen what just really 2
months has done in terms of their coats and general healthiness (Since
I found the vet that I have to walk past since Dave is in hospital sold
the stuff and the canny nurse gave me a generous helping of free
samples of Royal Canin- an action akin to a drug dealer giving the
first few "hits" free in hope of return custom)

My bank manager would like to ask that if anyone knows a vet's that
sells "Fancy Feast" etc in East London they would keep it to
themselves...

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old January 5th 07, 03:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Enfilade

Problem is, his butt
always ends up inches from Fred's face while we do this. Fred doesn't like
this.

Otis sounds even more uncomfortable than a headnox. A headnox at least
doesn't sit on your FACE, just on where your hair goes, or else expands
across the pillow to crowd you off.

When I'm lying on my side I get a lovely hiptyche, but if I'm lying on
my back she wanders across my ulcer-filled tummy instead and she is a
fat kitten so those paws have a lot of pressure behind them. Ow, ow.
She has learned to jump off, wait for me to roll onto my side, and then
curl on my hip and thigh.

--Fil

Old January 5th 07, 09:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Susan M

"Takayuki" wrote in message
I'm familiar with this routine, sort of. Is any part of Otis's
routine done like he's waiting for an elevator? That's what I call it
when Betty would come to me while I was in bed and paw at me or the
covers a couple of times, then sit waiting and purring for the covers
to be lifted. It reminded me of someone pressing a button for an
elevator.

Sort of like a Type A investment banker waiting for an elevator ;-)

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Old January 5th 07, 09:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Susan M

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Susan M wrote:
He gives is a role model in stubborness.

He and my daughter both! Wonder where she gets that from .... whistling

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Old January 5th 07, 09:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Susan M

"Adrian A" wrote in message
news
Of course you wouldn't part with them for the world. ;-)

No I wouldn't! I can't believe that Otis is going to be 11 in a couple of
weeks. January 19th! 11 years of disturbed sleep.

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Old January 5th 07, 09:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Susan M

"Enfilade" wrote in message
ps.com...
Otis sounds even more uncomfortable than a headnox. A headnox at least
doesn't sit on your FACE, just on where your hair goes, or else expands
across the pillow to crowd you off.

Well, after we work out the initial complexities, and barring any unforseen
circumstance where Otis is scared off the bed in the middle of the night by
a child telling me that they're going to go and use the bathroom (????),
he's okay. We settle in a comfortable 2 inches away from the nose and he
purrs and purrs and purrs. It's just that initial 10 minutes settling in
that takes a lot of patience!

When I'm lying on my side I get a lovely hiptyche, but if I'm lying on
my back she wanders across my ulcer-filled tummy instead and she is a
fat kitten so those paws have a lot of pressure behind them. Ow, ow.
She has learned to jump off, wait for me to roll onto my side, and then
curl on my hip and thigh.

Cats can be infinitely heavy when they're lying where you don't want to be
or walking accross your tummy/neck/pregnant watermelon. OUCH! I like the
hip cuddles too, unless I've got insomnia and those restless legs!

Susan M
Otis and Chester