[OT] Peeved

Old November 19th 05, 02:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default [OT] Peeved

I'm really aggravated at Dateline NBC who is doing a 2 hour piece on [I
won't name him], the man who shot John Lennon. The whole reason he murdered
John Lennon was to get some sick sort of fame for himself. I wish we could
have put him under the prison for the rest of his life and never once
mentioned his name. Giving him publicity and validation (they're airing all
that crap about his imaginary "little people" - voices in his head that told
him to do it) is just what he wanted. They're bioing every minute of his
miserable little life! Sick, sick, sick - I really hate the sensationalist
media!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old November 19th 05, 03:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

But the ratings are the key ;-)

ssshhhh the voices

Old November 19th 05, 03:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

.. A normal person doesn't kill people.

You never met my mother in law :-)

Old November 19th 05, 04:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Peeved

CatNipped wrote:
I'm really aggravated at Dateline NBC who is doing a 2 hour piece on [I
won't name him], the man who shot John Lennon. The whole reason he murdered
John Lennon was to get some sick sort of fame for himself. I wish we could
have put him under the prison for the rest of his life and never once
mentioned his name. Giving him publicity and validation (they're airing all
that crap about his imaginary "little people" - voices in his head that told
him to do it) is just what he wanted. They're bioing every minute of his
miserable little life! Sick, sick, sick - I really hate the sensationalist
media!

Hugs,

CatNipped

I don't think Chapman killed Lennon for notoriety. Or at least that's
not the excuse he used the last time I sat through one of those
tiresome interviews. He claimed "Catcher in the Rye" got inside his
head. Sort of like Manson claimed "Helter Skelter" got inside *his*
head. But then you can't blame Salinger or Lennon/McCartney for
authoring books and writing songs that started the wheels of a crazy
mind in motion. And although you can predict a media circus anytime a
celebrity is involved, you can't blame the press for the actual murder.

Sherry
There are just sick people in the world.

Old November 19th 05, 04:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Gracecat" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Hmmmm... I can see your POV CN but I missed the Beatles. I have no idea

who
even shot him or why. I can sort of understandy why they do a special

piece
on something that is very big in musical history, especially rock history.
You can't tell your grandkids about John Lennon and his vision only to end
the story in a shrug and say "I don't know the rest, sorry".

This special wasn't about John Lennon, except for them to keep saying direly
(with gloomy musical accompaniment), "At this point he only has X hours to
live". They talked to very few people who knew John Lennon *about* John
Lennon, whereas they had the killer's friends, family and fiance talking
about what a great guy he was - just abused and misunderstood. And, OH
GUESS WHAT? This program comes right before his next parole hearing in
early 2006.

Take John Wilkes Boothe, he shot Lincoln. For whatever reason if we

removed
his name from history, I think we'd have only half the story. I agree they
should never profit from their crimes, but I think it'd only hurt us to
ignore some of the biggest moments in our lives and who or what prompted
them.

To this day he cavorts around his jail cell, sells his "private thoughts" on
tape to a gullible public, and shows absolutely no remorse for what he did
and he's still trying to profit from it. He just wants to get out of jail
so he can go on the talk show circuit to promote his book! He silenced the
voice of my generation just because he wants, without working for it, the
fame and fortune John was talented enough and worked hard to get.

Last, mental illness exists. It doesn't stop at simple depression. He may
very well have heard little people. A normal person doesn't kill people.

Grace

"Normal" people kill all the time - they do it for profit, for convenience,
for jealousy, and just for spite. "Heroes" even kill in times of war or, in
the case of police officers, to protect you and me.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old November 19th 05, 05:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"CatNipped" wrote in message

big snip

"Normal" people kill all the time - they do it for profit, for
convenience,
for jealousy, and just for spite.

I don't agree. It is a big no-no to kill another human, a societal taboo.
If someone decides it's justified to kill for profit, convenience, jealousy
or spite they have crossed the line into mental illness, IMO.

"Heroes" even kill in times of war or, in
the case of police officers, to protect you and me.

That is very different.

Tweed

Old November 19th 05, 05:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message

big snip

"Normal" people kill all the time - they do it for profit, for
convenience,
for jealousy, and just for spite.

I don't agree. It is a big no-no to kill another human, a societal taboo.
If someone decides it's justified to kill for profit, convenience,
jealousy or spite they have crossed the line into mental illness, IMO.

True. Just not the sort of mental illness that is a defense under the law.

Jo

Old November 19th 05, 06:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

CatNipped wrote:
I'm really aggravated at Dateline NBC who is doing a 2 hour piece on
[I won't name him], the man who shot John Lennon. The whole reason
he murdered John Lennon was to get some sick sort of fame for
himself.

I don't agree with show casing him. But then again, I sure wish I could
have gotten in the head of someone like serial killer Ted Bundy for a few
minutes before they sent him to his just reward.

Did you ever read 'The Stranger Beside Me' by Anne Rule? She worked side by
side with Bundy on a suicide prevention hotline. She had no idea when he
walked her out to her car at night he was also going off killing
prostitutes. What a chilling thought! You just never know.

Back on this topic, John Lennon was, if nothing else, about PEACE. Killing
him was senseless and stupid. Of course killing *anyone* is senseless and
stupid but to kill someone who isn't even... I don't know... truly
influential? That's not the phrase word I'm looking for but he wasn't a
President or a dictator or Martin Luther King, Jr. He was a musician.
Sorry, I'm rambling.

Saying all that, they shouldn't have given him air-time. I didn't watch the
interview. You can always change the channel or turn off the television or
leave the room.

Jill

Old November 19th 05, 06:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

jmcquown wrote:
CatNipped wrote:
[...]

No, you're not rambling! I think that's a good point. John Lennon was
obviously genius. But the voice of my generation, no. He wasn't a real
peacemaker, he wrote songs about it. Except for promoting "bagism" (not
a bad concept, but hard to sell just by climbing in a bag and calling
the press) and trying to keep from being deported for drug issues for
several years, I can't think of anything he ever did that made a
difference in a practical way. Even Harrison had "Bongala-daish"
Chapmas isn't that different from Manson. They intervew him on at
parole time, let him outta the cage long enough to be on TV. That way
everybody can say "Yeah, that's Charlie, still nutty as a fruitcake,
still looney as a bird, OK, lock him back up now."
Chapman, if I understand correctly, can't profit from a book about
Lennon's murder anyway under the Son of Sam Law, and I doubt anyone
wants to read anything else about his miserable little life.

Saying all that, they shouldn't have given him air-time. I didn't watch the
interview. You can always change the channel or turn off the television or
leave the room.

Absolutely. The media and sponsors don't spend money if they anticipate
they're broadcasting to a wasteland. There's a demand. Until the demand
goes away, and people quit watching, they'll continue putting the
country's most notorious in the limelight.

Sherry

Jill

Old November 19th 05, 10:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote in message
oups.com...

jmcquown wrote:
CatNipped wrote:
[...]

That's what "the voice of my generation" means - he expressed in music and
lyrics everthing that we were about.

Hugs,

CatNipped