Dad Update [OT]

Old May 3rd 05, 08:14 PM
jmcquown

Default Dad Update [OT]

They tried to do the angioplasty (insert the balloon) to unblock the artery
in his leg and the blockage was too great. It wouldn't inflate the length
of the artery. The vascular surgeon also tried plastic tubing. No go.
What will happen now (either Thursday or Friday, they'll let me know) will
be a bypass procedure. They'll be taking a viable artery from his other leg
and using it to bypass the blockage. Very similar to what they do in the
case of a heart bypass. He went home yesterday afternoon and he's resting
up. He's worried about Mom because of course she's fussing over him and
says she's "doing too much". His military background came to the forefront
when he told me he said to her, "Don't worry about chow we have plenty of
MRE's in the cupboard and freezer." LOL

Dad didn't let on but I know he's nervous as can be. This is pretty severe
surgery for a man his age. But it has to be done else they'll have to
amputate his foot. They are predicting he'll be in the hospital for at
least 5 days after the procedure. He and Mom promised to keep me informed
(I was a little irked I had to call *them* to find out about this). Purrs
again will be appreciated.

Jill
--
I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

Old May 3rd 05, 08:37 PM
Marion

Oh! I'm definitely sending purrs! Your parents
must be so frightened. Just remember that they
do miracles with veins and circulation these days,
almost routinely. Try to remain calm and positive;
I know that will help.
Marion

Old May 3rd 05, 08:40 PM
jmcquown

Marion wrote:
Oh! I'm definitely sending purrs! Your parents
must be so frightened. Just remember that they
do miracles with veins and circulation these days,
almost routinely. Try to remain calm and positive;
I know that will help.
Marion

Thank you. I am trying to remain calm and coming across as positive. I
told Dad he'll be just fine. He, in turn, asked if *I'm* doing okay. I've
been unemployed for a year. I said yes. He said, "Are you really?" Just
like him to transfer his worries to concern over me when he's about to go
under the knife. Thanks for the purrs!

Jill

Old May 3rd 05, 09:27 PM
Jo Firey

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Note to all parents and children out there. If you are on anything
resembling speaking terms with your parents/children. You HAVE to keep them
informed on life changing stuff like medical procedures. And it is good
form to also inform them of the results as soon as and if possible.

"I didn't want to worry you" is not a valid excuse.

Shuffling around the house and muttering a grumbling about certain family
members

Jo

Old May 3rd 05, 09:33 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-05-03, jmcquown penned:

Dad didn't let on but I know he's nervous as can be. This is pretty
severe surgery for a man his age. But it has to be done else
they'll have to amputate his foot. They are predicting he'll be in
the hospital for at least 5 days after the procedure. He and Mom
promised to keep me informed (I was a little irked I had to call
*them* to find out about this). Purrs again will be appreciated.

Purrs for you and your dad, and your mom too!

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old May 3rd 05, 09:34 PM
jmcquown

Jo Firey wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
They tried to do the angioplasty (insert the balloon) to unblock the
artery
in his leg and the blockage was too great. It wouldn't inflate...

(I was a little irked I had to call *them* to find
out about this). Purrs again will be appreciated.

Jill

Note to all parents and children out there. If you are on anything
resembling speaking terms with your parents/children. You HAVE to
keep them informed on life changing stuff like medical procedures.
And it is good form to also inform them of the results as soon as and
if possible.

"I didn't want to worry you" is not a valid excuse.

Shuffling around the house and muttering a grumbling about certain
family members

Jo

Exactly. I knew he was having the angioplasty but they never told me it
didn't work. I called the hospital this morning and they told me he went
home yesterday afternoon. No phone call with the results (or lack thereof).
I was just sort of hanging there. Grrrrrr.

Jill

Old May 3rd 05, 09:43 PM
Charleen Welton

On 2005-05-03, jmcquown penned:
Dad didn't let on but I know he's nervous as can be. This is pretty
severe surgery for a man his age. But it has to be done else
they'll have to amputate his foot. They are predicting he'll be in
the hospital for at least 5 days after the procedure. He and Mom
promised to keep me informed (I was a little irked I had to call
*them* to find out about this). Purrs again will be appreciated.

Many purrs coming for you and your family.
Charleen

Old May 3rd 05, 10:23 PM
MaryL

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

This is very serious surgery, so I can easily understand why your father
(and your entire family) would be worried. However, it might help him to
know that this surgery also has great potential. My uncle underwent that
procedure (or something very similar to it) a great many years ago, at a
time when surgeons would not have known nearly as much as they do now. The
surgery gave him greatly-improved quality of life and eliminated the need
for what almost certainly would otherwise have required amputation. He
lived for more than 20 years after the surgery, and that was for someone who
was in a weakened state even before the surgery. So, tell your father to
think positive thoughts!

MaryL

[OT] Yowlet Update Yowie Cat anecdotes 7 December 13th 04 12:25 AM
[OT] Yowlet Update 4/4/4 20:30 Yowie Cat anecdotes 16 April 5th 04 11:49 PM
[OT] Yowlet Update 30th March 5am Yowie Cat anecdotes 15 April 4th 04 02:39 AM
Nice Update on B5's creator, J.Michael Straczynski & Buddy the cat Christine Burel Cat anecdotes 8 January 19th 04 11:01 AM
[OT] Just needed to vent - UPDATE 20/11 JA Gory Cat anecdotes 23 November 25th 03 04:33 AM