Colored Water

Old November 9th 05, 10:07 PM
Jeanne Hedge

Default Colored Water

For a while now I've suspected that Natasha is having trouble seeing
the surface of the water in her water bowl (recently diagnosed with
developing cataracts). I sort of think this is partly why she's always
putting her feet into her water bowl (it's white), because there have
been a few times I've seen her lean in for a drink and end up with a
nose full of water!

Anyway, I'm trying to think of cheap and easy ways to help her find
the surface of the water. I really can't afford one of those
"watering systems" that creates a disturbance on the surface because
it's constantly moving water into and out of the bowl. So what came to
mind is coloring the water so she can see the surface easier.

Has anyone here ever tried adding food color to their feline's
drinking water? - you all know what I mean, the colored liquid that
turns food interesting colors when you add a drop or two to the mix.
If you have, how did it work out? Did your kitty drink it? Did s/he
end up with an oddly colo(u)red tongue or urine?

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

============
http://www.jhedge.com
Old November 9th 05, 10:13 PM
CatNipped

"Jeanne Hedge" wrote in message
[...]

Never tried food coloring, but I think that one of the attractions of the
DrinkWell fountain for my cats is that the surface of the water is
constantly in motion so they can see the surface (as well as drink from the
water that is pouring out of the fountain).

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old November 9th 05, 10:23 PM
mlbriggs

On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 17:07:17 -0500, Jeanne Hedge wrote:

[...]

Do you have a colored drinking straw? Cut a 2 inch piece off and float it
in the water. MLB

Old November 9th 05, 10:31 PM
Christina Websell

Natasha will not be able to see clear water in a white bowl if she has sight
difficulties, I know this from my own experience. She needs contrast, so
can you get her a dark coloured bowl or paint the one you have inside with
dark tile paint ?

Tweed

Old November 9th 05, 10:42 PM
Jo Firey

I believe cats have an instinct against drinking still water. Still
water=dirty moving water=clean. So we let a tap drip sometimes, one cat
loves her drinkwell fountain and the other is happy if we throw a few ice
cubes in her water to break up the surface. I think the dipping the paw and
licking is a way to test the quality of the water.

Jo

Old November 10th 05, 02:12 AM
Ted Davis

On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 17:07:17 -0500, Jeanne Hedge
wrote:
snip
Anyway, I'm trying to think of cheap and easy ways to help her find
the surface of the water. I really can't afford one of those
"watering systems" that creates a disturbance on the surface because
it's constantly moving water into and out of the bowl. So what came to
mind is coloring the water so she can see the surface easier.

snip

I wouldn't use food coloring - over time it would amount to a lot per
pound of cat.

I have use an aquarium pump to bubble air through the water, but
lately I have noticed that most of the cats prefer to drink from a
particular side of the bowl. The bowl is located a couple of feet to
one side of directly under the always-on ceiling light - the side they
usually drink from is the one from which the reflection of the light
can be seen. I haven't had any problem with the cats dragging the
bowl around and spilling the water since I started putting it where it
is now, and not much paw-in-water dirt either.

--
T.E.D. )
Old November 10th 05, 05:18 AM
Marina

Jeanne Hedge wrote:
For a while now I've suspected that Natasha is having trouble seeing
the surface of the water in her water bowl (recently diagnosed with
developing cataracts). I sort of think this is partly why she's always
putting her feet into her water bowl (it's white), because there have
been a few times I've seen her lean in for a drink and end up with a
nose full of water!

I don't have any experience with food colouring. Frank always nudges the
bowl little with his paw before drinking, for the same reason I think;
to make the water move so he can see where the surface is. Maybe
floating something on the surface would help? Does she like catnip?
Maybe float some pieces of dried catnip on the surface. Or would they
sink when they get wet? I don't know.

--
Marina, Frank, Miranda and Caliban. In loving memory of Nikki.
marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi
Old November 10th 05, 05:59 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Jeanne Hedge wrote:

[...]

A lot of cats are colorblind (although it's not as universal
a condition as it is in dogs). In that case, would she even
see the difference?

Old November 10th 05, 10:39 AM
kilikini

"Jo Firey" wrote in message
I believe cats have an instinct against drinking still water. Still
water=dirty moving water=clean. So we let a tap drip sometimes, one cat
loves her drinkwell fountain and the other is happy if we throw a few ice
cubes in her water to break up the surface. I think the dipping the paw

and
licking is a way to test the quality of the water.

I absolutely agree with this. I think this is part of the fascination with
a tub of running water or a toilet freshly flushed.

kili

Old November 10th 05, 10:39 AM
kilikini

"Marina" wrote in message
Jeanne Hedge wrote:
For a while now I've suspected that Natasha is having trouble seeing
the surface of the water in her water bowl (recently diagnosed with
developing cataracts). I sort of think this is partly why she's always
putting her feet into her water bowl (it's white), because there have
been a few times I've seen her lean in for a drink and end up with a
nose full of water!

I don't have any experience with food colouring. Frank always nudges the
bowl little with his paw before drinking, for the same reason I think;
to make the water move so he can see where the surface is. Maybe
floating something on the surface would help? Does she like catnip?
Maybe float some pieces of dried catnip on the surface. Or would they
sink when they get wet? I don't know.

I think we're on to something here...........

kili

[REPOST] Defeated Yowie Cat anecdotes 11 September 8th 05 11:27 PM
Smelly cat water! Beverly & Vicki via CatKB.com Cat health & behaviour 8 May 31st 05 03:14 AM
Cats, water, and chloramine Lisa Horton Cat health & behaviour 28 May 21st 04 05:00 PM
Water question TJ and The Dust Cat anecdotes 10 February 18th 04 05:51 AM
Distilled water and cats Riceps Cat health & behaviour 36 October 12th 03 04:56 PM