I got to be a boy scout tonight

Old March 28th 06, 04:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default I got to be a boy scout tonight

Mark Edwards wrote:
I was late out of the office, which meant late going home. I was tired
and hungry, and ready to just grab a bite and kick back.

But a few miles from home, I see a pretty young thing trying to cross
the busy street. She would start across the street, and traffic just
ignored her in the dark. I slowed down, as she was standing in my
lane, and couldn't decide whether to run across traffic, or run back
to the curb.

I pulled into a curbside parking spot, got out of the car, locked the
doors and called out "Here, kitty, kitty!"

This silken-furred little orange girl ran up to me, rubbed up against
my legs, and shivered when I picked her up. She meowed sadly at me.

So I went to the street corner, waited for the light, and I carried
her across the street. But our fellowship didn't end there.

When I put her down on the sidewalk, she started off in her original
direction, then stopped and looked back at me. I followed while she
led the way, stopping now and then at the sidewalks leading to
peoples' houses.

After about four blocks, she finally seemed to decide on one house in
particular, walked up to the door, and stood up to paw at the
doorhandle. She then sat back, waiting for me to open the door.

Well, I knocked instead, and a very nice lady opened the door. The
little cat ran inside. I told the lady how the cat had asked me for
help, and that I escorted it to this house. And that I hoped this was
her cat (grin).

"She's been missing for two weeks!" the lady told me, and thanked me
for leading the cat home (the cat's name is Elmira - the lady is
Jenny). Well, I couldn't take the credit for just going along with a
very smart cat, and I refused the reward she offered.

I was crying tears of happiness with her. Elmira is at her own home,
and gave me a very nice parting purr.

Getting home late was never nicer.

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark

Wow - who says we can't communicate with the critters? Is there a badge for
this??? There should be!!!

You deserve a promotion to Eagle Scout for that!!!!