ping: Phil P.

Old April 12th 08, 05:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Default ping: Phil P.

Meep's finally off the Clomicalm and on amytriptyline. Probably because
the vet got it from a compounding pharmacy, there was no drug insert for
it. Her dose is 2.5mg, once per day. Capsules.

I see it's an antihistamine, as well as having analgesic affects. I see
it's used for human interstitial cystitis as well.

However, Meep's showing a couple of possible side effects I don't seem
to see for humans:

Increased appetite (not necessarily a bad thing, she's a bit thin)
Increased activity
Increased vocalization

She hasn't been this active, or this talkative, in a long time. Also,
she's only been on the ami for two days - is that long enough to have
this effect? Or is this just because she's off the clomicalm?

What are the normal possible side effects of amitriptyline in cats?

jmc
Old April 12th 08, 10:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

Default Phil P.

"jmc" wrote in message
Meep's finally off the Clomicalm and on amytriptyline. Probably because
the vet got it from a compounding pharmacy, there was no drug insert for
it. Her dose is 2.5mg, once per day. Capsules.

I see it's an antihistamine, as well as having analgesic affects. I see
it's used for human interstitial cystitis as well.

Actually, its a tricyclic anti-depressant

However, Meep's showing a couple of possible side effects I don't seem
to see for humans:

Increased appetite (not necessarily a bad thing, she's a bit thin)
Increased activity
Increased vocalization

Those are fairly common side effects of the drug in cats- but they should
be very mild with such a low dose. I'm thinking the strength might be a
little high. The problem with compounded drugs is you never know if your
getting the correct formulation and the right strength. This really become
obvious in the refills when you notice changes in efficacy and behavior from
refill to refill. If you're forced to buy compounded drugs, its best to by
a 6 or 12 month supply that's compounded from the same lot. This way its a
lot easier to make dosage adjustments. Otherwise, you have to practically
start from scratch with each refill because they might not be the same as
the previous one. The right dose should produce a barely perceptible calming
effect.

Is there any way you can get Merck's amytriptyline even if you have to pay a
little more?

She hasn't been this active, or this talkative, in a long time. Also,
she's only been on the ami for two days - is that long enough to have
this effect? Or is this just because she's off the clomicalm?

What are the normal possible side effects of amitriptyline in cats?

Appetite can go either way- increase or decrease. Water consumption might
increase. There could be heart-related issues- rhythm disturbances- but I
doubt it at such a low dose. Still you might want to have your vet run an
EKG to be on the safe side.

I think the constant moving around from place to place and having to adapt
to new environments every few months might be exacerbating her FIC.

Phil

Old April 12th 08, 01:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Phil P. exclaimed (4/12/2008 6:51 PM):
"jmc" wrote in message
Meep's finally off the Clomicalm and on amytriptyline. Probably because
the vet got it from a compounding pharmacy, there was no drug insert for
it. Her dose is 2.5mg, once per day. Capsules.

I see it's an antihistamine, as well as having analgesic affects. I see
it's used for human interstitial cystitis as well.

Actually, its a tricyclic anti-depressant

Sorry, I meant to say *also* an antihistamine (actually, what it said
was, "has strong antihistamine effects" or something similar).

[...]

Not from here. But we'll be back in the US in June, I'll get a proper
prescription then.

She hasn't been this active, or this talkative, in a long time. Also,
she's only been on the ami for two days - is that long enough to have
this effect? Or is this just because she's off the clomicalm?

What are the normal possible side effects of amitriptyline in cats?

Appetite can go either way- increase or decrease. Water consumption might
increase. There could be heart-related issues- rhythm disturbances- but I
doubt it at such a low dose. Still you might want to have your vet run an
EKG to be on the safe side.

I think the constant moving around from place to place and having to adapt
to new environments every few months might be exacerbating her FIC.

Phil

I'll have to keep an eye on the heart issues, she has a grade 3 heart
murmur (sometimes it's intermittent).

Thanks for the info.

jmc

Ping Phil - Anyone, HELP HELP HELP CatNipped Cat health & behaviour 7 July 23rd 07 01:30 PM
PING PHIL Matthew Cat health & behaviour 4 July 22nd 07 06:10 PM
ping PHIL P Niel Humphreys Cat health & behaviour 1 March 17th 06 04:53 PM
Ping Phil NMR Cat health & behaviour 0 January 24th 06 05:37 AM
Ping Phil P or anyone that could help NMR Cat health & behaviour 7 January 1st 06 11:30 PM