Miss Emily's day

Old November 27th 13, 02:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Miss Emily's day

On 11/26/2013 9:10 PM, Bastette wrote:
Joy wrote:

On 11/26/2013 12:46 PM, Bastette wrote:
Joy wrote:

I live in Southern California. Years ago, when I was taking flying
lessons, our first "cross country" flight (50 nautical miles or more)
was to Lancaster, in the high desert of California. We weren't sure
until we were 10 minutes away whether they'd have the snow cleared off
the runway so we could land. There was about 8 inches of snow on the
ground.

What time of year was it?

It was in February.

Well, no wonder! Get enough altitude and you'll have winter as much as
anyone in climates that actually have 4 seasons.

I do sometimes miss four seasons, though! It's been a long time since I
got to see leaves change and even a hint of snow. When I lived in west
Tennessee some of the trees changed. There was occasional snow. More
often it was sleet and ice storms. Driving was treacherous.

I had only worked there for a few months. I had been told they never
close for bad weather. One night it sleeted. I got up extra early, and
slowly and carefully drove to the office. My supervisor came in and
asked what I was doing there! He said the office was closed. I said,
um, I was told we *never* close for bad weather. He said rather
gleefully, "We do now!" LOL

Apparently none of the older (muckety-muck) execs wanted to take a
chance denting their Mercedes or BMW's. The impression I got was they
couldn't very well ditch work and still expect everyone else to drive on
icy streets. LOL

After that, they set up an inclement weather voice-mail box. Employees
could call and hear a message about whether or not the office was closed.

Jill
Old November 27th 13, 06:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Joy wrote:

I live in Southern California. Years ago, when I was taking flying
lessons, our first "cross country" flight (50 nautical miles or more)
was to Lancaster, in the high desert of California. We weren't sure
until we were 10 minutes away whether they'd have the snow cleared off
the runway so we could land. There was about 8 inches of snow on the
ground.

What time of year was it?

It was in February.

Well, no wonder! Get enough altitude and you'll have winter as much as
anyone in climates that actually have 4 seasons.

I don't know what it's like where you are, but around here, we seldom
get snow as low as 2,347 feet, which is the altitude of the airport in
Lancaster.

Joy
Old November 27th 13, 10:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

Get enough altitude and you'll have winter as much as
anyone in climates that actually have 4 seasons.

I grew up in Hamilton, New Zealand. Local folklore said it had last
snowed there in 1904. It's on the main road that goes down the centre
of the North Island, over the high volcanic plateau. It snows there
every winter. It was common for drivers to stop and pile snow on the
bonnets of their cars to show they'd been there when they got down to
lower altitude. Hamilton was more than 100 miles away but they could
sometimes make it there with an icy blob to show for it.

Old November 27th 13, 07:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

jmcquown wrote:

[...]

Well, that's good! It's nice to get the day off, but it would have been
better to know that *before* you risked your life driving on icy roads!

--
Joyce

When you finish, you have a complete (you hope) set of characters. So you call it a "character set". And because you're in a funny mood, instead of calling the numeric identifiers "numeric identifiers", you call them "code points".
-- Steve Ferg, "Unicode Beginners Introduction for Dummies Made Simple"
Old November 27th 13, 07:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Joy wrote:

It was in February.

Well, no wonder! Get enough altitude and you'll have winter as much as
anyone in climates that actually have 4 seasons.

I don't know what it's like where you are, but around here, we seldom
get snow as low as 2,347 feet, which is the altitude of the airport in
Lancaster.

I've never seen snow at low altitudes or near the coast, but in the winter
you can see snowcaps on the mountains.

Old December 1st 13, 12:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 22:18:19 -0800, Joy wrote:

On 11/25/2013 6:26 PM, jmcquown wrote:
On 11/25/2013 9:18 PM, Joy wrote:
On 11/25/2013 6:08 PM, jmcquown wrote:
On 11/25/2013 8:59 PM, The Other Guy wrote:
On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 12:09:11 -0700, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:

Even in the Southwestern desert areas, if the altitude is high
enough!

Only coastal southern California in the US never gets snow.
Or at last snow that sticks, and maybe once ever 30 years.

When we lived in Vista, CA in 1967 it snowed. Mom had to run to the
store to buy film for the Kodak instamatic camera. LOL I'm pretty
sure it was gone by the time she got back.

And by coastal, I mean within 2-3 miles of the ocean.
Any farther inland, and snow can and does happen, though rarely and
not lasting for long.

Does it ever snow in the Mojave desert? We (my parents, my two
brothers and me) drove through there (also way back then) and I can
attest to the fact it definitely rains! We ran into a storm so bad
we had to pull off the highway. In the middle of nowhere. When it
was over, there was a rainbow stretching as far as the eye could see.
We all tumbled out of the car to look at it. Ooooh! I was seven or
8 years old.

Jill

I'm not sure if it ever snows there. We used to camp there when I was
a kid. My Dad was a rockhound, and the place where we camped was good
for finding agate. We always went in the summer, though, and it never
even rained when we were there. I remember the days were boiling hot,
and the nights were freezing (well, not really, but it felt like it)
cold.

Joy

We were just passing through. On our way to Virginia, if I've got my
childhood timeline right. The rainbow was spectacular. We also saw a
roadrunner. No Wile E. Coyote, though.

Jill

It sounds like a nice memory.

Joy

One of my most vivid childhood memories is from a trip my family made to
Monterrey, Mexico. I don't remember the exact date, but it must have
been around 1966 or 1967. We came along right after a rare line of
rainstorms had come through the desert, and every plant in sight was
blooming. Millions of butterflies were also migrating. Every roadside
puddle had butterflies around the edge, drinking.

--
John F. Eldredge --
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
Old December 1st 13, 12:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

On Wed, 27 Nov 2013 19:26:15 +0000, Bastette wrote:

Joy wrote:

It was in February.

Well, no wonder! Get enough altitude and you'll have winter as much
as anyone in climates that actually have 4 seasons.

I don't know what it's like where you are, but around here, we seldom
get snow as low as 2,347 feet, which is the altitude of the airport
in Lancaster.

I've never seen snow at low altitudes or near the coast, but in the
winter you can see snowcaps on the mountains.

For that matter, Mauna Kea, the highest mountain in Hawaii, frequently
gets snow in winter, and it shows signs of having had glaciers in the
past. According to Wikipedia, the peak is 13,803 feet above sea level
(4,207 meters).

Old December 1st 13, 12:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Memories like that are wonderful, aren't they?

Jill
Old December 1st 13, 01:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote:

[...]

Yes, they are. My most vivid after-rainstorm memory isn't from my
childhood. A couple of years after both my husband and my father had
died, my mother and I took a cruise/tour to Alaska. One evening we went
to see a slideshow about Alaskan wildlife. The show was wonderful, and
it was cozy inside listening to the rain. By the time the show ended,
the rain had stopped, and it was 10:30 p.m. The sun was still fairly
high when we walked outside and saw a magnificent double rainbow above
the nearby mountains.

Joy