Multiple Cat Household Question

Old April 25th 05, 01:44 AM
CatNipped

Default Multiple Cat Household Question

I read somewhere that in a multiple cat household not only does each cat
have their own "territory", but that the territory may change throughout the
day. I've noticed that in the mornings Jessie sleeps on the cat tree in the
cats' bedroom window, but that's where Demi sleeps in the afternoon - always
the same, it's never Demi in the morning or Jessie in the afternoon.

Has anyone else here noticed similar patterns?

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

Old April 25th 05, 03:42 AM
Magic Mood Jeep©

CatNipped wrote:
I read somewhere that in a multiple cat household not only does each
cat have their own "territory", but that the territory may change
throughout the day. I've noticed that in the mornings Jessie sleeps
on the cat tree in the cats' bedroom window, but that's where Demi
sleeps in the afternoon - always the same, it's never Demi in the
morning or Jessie in the afternoon.

Has anyone else here noticed similar patterns?

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

I've never really noticed any 'pattern' in their chosen nap spots before,
but now I will pay more attention and see if there is indeed such a pattern
in my little 'pride'.

--
The ONE and ONLY
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©

Old April 25th 05, 05:46 AM
Seanette Blaylock

"CatNipped" had some very interesting things
to say about Multiple Cat Household Question:

I read somewhere that in a multiple cat household not only does each cat
have their own "territory", but that the territory may change throughout the
day. I've noticed that in the mornings Jessie sleeps on the cat tree in the
cats' bedroom window, but that's where Demi sleeps in the afternoon - always
the same, it's never Demi in the morning or Jessie in the afternoon.
Has anyone else here noticed similar patterns?

I don't remember noticing that growing up in a multi-cat household.
Everyone pretty much hung out where there was room, a lap, or whatever
it was that cat wanted at that time.

Old April 25th 05, 12:42 PM
HRFLTiger

CatNipped wrote:
I read somewhere that in a multiple cat household not only does each

cat
have their own "territory", but that the territory may change

throughout the
day. I've noticed that in the mornings Jessie sleeps on the cat tree

in the
cats' bedroom window, but that's where Demi sleeps in the afternoon -

always
the same, it's never Demi in the morning or Jessie in the afternoon.

Has anyone else here noticed similar patterns?

Definitely.

HRFL Tiger and Pandora share my bed. Cleo isn't allowed on the bed by
the other cats. Cleo has a little cat bed *under* my bed which only she
uses, the other cats don't. Pandora has a chair in the lounge which is
hers, and only Tiger is allowed on it with her. Cleo has a sheepskin
mat on the sofa, which the other cats don't use.

The window sill in my study, with the big picture window is everybodies
- they all use it, often at the same time.

Yup - definitely got territories here. )

Helen M

Old April 25th 05, 12:45 PM
Enfilade

I read somewhere that in a multiple cat household not only does each cat
have their own "territory", but that the territory may change throughout the
day. I've noticed that in the mornings Jessie sleeps on the cat tree in the
cats' bedroom window, but that's where Demi sleeps in the afternoon - always
the same, it's never Demi in the morning or Jessie in the afternoon.
Has anyone else here noticed similar patterns?

Oh yes, we have clearly marked territories.

BEDROOM:

The pillows are for Nocturne. The pillows are for no one but
Nocturne.

Smokey sleeps at the foot of the bed. Smokey should not sleep in the
middle of the bed, but will if he's bold. Smokey does not approach
the pillows, with or without Nox present, on pain of apocalypse.

Bitties sleep in the middle of the bed, and at the foot of the bed,
and in dumb spots like on piles of clothes, in drawers, and in laundry
hampers.

Nocturne may sleep in the sunbeam on the floor if she likes.

***

LIVING ROOM:

The couch is for Smokey. The arms of the couch are ok for bitties.
Smokey will share the couch cushions with bitties if he can lick them.

The armchair is for Nocturne. Sometimes there can be another cat on
the seat if Nocturne is on the top. Sometimes there can be two cats.
Nox does not share her "level" with anyone.

***

The cat tree is for everyone.

--Fil
Old April 25th 05, 03:00 PM
Fat Freddy

Our four (three males and a female) all have their favorite places
which change every few weeks. Once in a while they get into territorial
battles and more than once, somebody has gotten miffed and peed on
somebody else's favorite sleeping spot.
Old April 25th 05, 03:38 PM
CatNipped

"Fat Freddy" wrote in message
Our four (three males and a female) all have their favorite places
which change every few weeks. Once in a while they get into territorial
battles and more than once, somebody has gotten miffed and peed on
somebody else's favorite sleeping spot.

ROTFLOL! Only cats!! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 25th 05, 04:33 PM
Bob M

CatNipped wrote:
I read somewhere that in a multiple cat household not only does each cat
have their own "territory", but that the territory may change throughout the
day. I've noticed that in the mornings Jessie sleeps on the cat tree in the
cats' bedroom window, but that's where Demi sleeps in the afternoon - always
the same, it's never Demi in the morning or Jessie in the afternoon.

Has anyone else here noticed similar patterns?

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

The only thing I've noticed with my 2 girls is that the kitchen and
the bathroom are safe zones. My 2 will usually sleep together but when
it comes time to "hunt the furball" every place except the kitchen and
bathroom are fair game sites.

Bob
Old April 25th 05, 05:19 PM
dopekitty

Cheryl Perkins wrote:
CatNipped wrote:

I read somewhere that in a multiple cat household not only does each cat
have their own "territory", but that the territory may change throughout the
day. I've noticed that in the mornings Jessie sleeps on the cat tree in the
cats' bedroom window, but that's where Demi sleeps in the afternoon - always
the same, it's never Demi in the morning or Jessie in the afternoon.

Has anyone else here noticed similar patterns?

Mine do have their favourite spots which switch, but it doesn't seem to be
on a schedule.

If it is, they sometimes get the schedule wrong for the windowsill in the
computer room, a particular favourite. Quite frequently, one will come
along and hiss and swat at the incumbent, for all the world like someone
in a busy fitness centre who finds another person on the excercise bike
he/she has booked.

Possum has his favored spots and so does Tygra, but only rarely do they
sleep in the same areas. Possum likes the bathroom, the linen closet
and a pile of clothes in our bedroom for upstairs. Down here, its
usually the couch or the lazyboy. There's plenty of room for both of
them on the couch at the same time, but the lazyboy is a favored place
for both of them, when MY ass isn't in it anyhow No set schedule
however. One thing that does seem to happen on schedule is that on warm
sunny days if i leave my car windows open, Possum will get in the car
and lay wherever the sun happens to be strongest, this is usually either
the rear window or one of the front seats. Tygra prefers the floor in
the car.

Kristy
Old April 25th 05, 05:37 PM
dopekitty

[...]