O.T. Memorial day in the U.S.

Old May 25th 08, 09:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ann

Default O.T. Memorial day in the U.S.

Tomorrow in the U.S. we are celebrating Memorial day. It is really on may 30
but everything here is turned into a 3 day weekend.

It's not a day for car sales or 50 percent off a TV set. It's a day to
remember all the veterans who fought and died in wars.

I want to thank all of the veterans for the sacrifices they made. My fatther
in law is was the Navy and I have heard about how difficult it can be on the
families.

--
Ann
in Connecticut

Old May 25th 08, 11:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Ann" wrote in message
Tomorrow in the U.S. we are celebrating Memorial day. It is really on may
30 but everything here is turned into a 3 day weekend.

It's not a day for car sales or 50 percent off a TV set. It's a day to
remember all the veterans who fought and died in wars.

I want to thank all of the veterans for the sacrifices they made. My
fatther in law is was the Navy and I have heard about how difficult it can
be on the families.

We do this on November 11th here in Britain.

Tweed

Old May 26th 08, 12:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Memorial day was also a day to visit grave sites of family and at one time,
this was a "mandatory" thing in our family. It was a day long history
lesson, if you will.
"Sjouke Burry" wrote in message
. ..

Old May 26th 08, 03:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Flags at Rest Area will be at half mast and we will mark the time.
"Matthew" wrote in message
AT 3pm tomorrow stand at attention for 60 seconds to honor all the fallen

Old May 26th 08, 03:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Ann wrote:
Tomorrow in the U.S. we are celebrating Memorial day. It is really on
may 30 but everything here is turned into a 3 day weekend.

Yeah, I was totally surprised to find it's the 26th instead of the 30th!

It's not a day for car sales or 50 percent off a TV set. It's a day to
remember all the veterans who fought and died in wars.

I'm remembering my father. He served in WWII, Korea & Vietnam. This is
what Memorial Day is about. Not cookouts/BBQ's. I suppose that's a nice
way to spend time with family on this "holiday" but please take a moment to
remember what others did so that you are able to have this holiday weekend.
Thanks, Dad!

Jill

Old May 26th 08, 08:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla `=^. .^=`

Will do, and I'm also lighting some candles. Both my deceased Mom and Dad
were in the Armed Forces in WW2, Dad was in The Navy and Mom was in The
Coast Guard,
Bless our fallen comrads.
Hug
Kyla
"Matthew" ...

Old May 26th 08, 09:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Christina Websell wrote:
"Ann" wrote in message
Tomorrow in the U.S. we are celebrating Memorial day. It is really on may
30 but everything here is turned into a 3 day weekend.

It's not a day for car sales or 50 percent off a TV set. It's a day to
remember all the veterans who fought and died in wars.

I want to thank all of the veterans for the sacrifices they made. My
fatther in law is was the Navy and I have heard about how difficult it can
be on the families.

We do this on November 11th here in Britain.

I think we still do in the U.S., too - although it's "Veteran's Day",
now, and always falls on a Monday (due to our national preoccupation
with "three day weekends"). IIRC, "Memorial Day" was a spinoff of our
Civil War/War Between the States, so has been around a bit longer than
the "eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month" (marking
the end of WW1, and formerly called "Armistice Day" here).
Old May 26th 08, 09:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Granby wrote:
Memorial day was also a day to visit grave sites of family and at one time,
this was a "mandatory" thing in our family. It was a day long history
lesson, if you will.

It still is in parts of the U.S., too - assuming you still live in the
same town they did. Americans tend to move around so much, nowadays,
that often we live too far away from our family's grave-sites to make
memorial visits practicable.

Need ideas for pet cat memorial varois83 Cat health & behaviour 7 March 28th 07 02:39 AM
Help with Memorial, please [email protected] Cat anecdotes 17 November 26th 06 11:24 PM
Memorial Service KaN Cat anecdotes 23 July 24th 05 04:18 AM
The Memorial Service Julie Cook Cat anecdotes 15 December 11th 03 05:52 AM