De-lurking to Introduce Smudgie

Old June 11th 08, 01:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sharon[_2_]

Default De-lurking to Introduce Smudgie

Hi All
I came across this group a few days ago. I don't normally step out from the
"lurking shadows" but you all seem so nice I thought I'd take a deep breath
and jump right in!

Smudgie is a black and white Tuxedo cat and has been ruling my life since
last September. She had her first birthday on 9th June. We rescued her
from a family who weren't looking after properly. She was 12 weeks old when
we got her; covered in fleas, infection in both eyes and ears, and weighing
only 700 grammes. She looked so thin, her cheeks were sunken and her head
looked too big for her little body. It took a while to get her right but 9
months on she is in great health apart from her eyes, which are prone to the
odd irritation. She is a little small for her age but perfectly formed all
the same!

Smudgie has always been a bit timid and wary of new people / surroundings.
It took 4 months before she would even pluck up courage to go into the back
garden. I wanted her to enjoy the garden but to try to keep her from
wanting to venture further. She learned to climb "Rambo style" up our 6ft
garden fence (chasing a bird) after I moved all the "utilities" she used to
climb onto it. She is quite clumsy for a cat and so far she has fallen off
the fence, got stuck in the next door neighbour's tree and discovered (to
her horror) a large German Shepherd dog lives next door on the other side -
and she doesn't like cats much!

Yesterday evening she was happily sitting on top of the fence one minute,
and the next had wandered off. After 3 hours I was besides myself with
worry. I took a walk around the neighbourhood to see if I could spot her,
stopping to ask people along the way if they had seen her. I returned home
and looked out of our bedroom window, which overlooks the neighbours' back
gardens, for the 50th time and there she was, 2 gardens away! I went and
"collected" her and got an arm full of scratches for my trouble!

I'm now preparing myself for her next big outing!

Sharon

Old June 11th 08, 02:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

I'm now preparing myself for her next big outing!

Sharon

Hi, Sharon. Welcome to the group, and thanks for telling us about Smudgie.
She sounds like quite a handful! I'm glad you got the opportunity to
rescue her from her former setting - it's tragic when kitties don't get
the kind of care they need and deserve.

I'm Dan, and my wife and our 6 furry masters live in central Iowa in the
US. Our masters a
Cleopatra - a long-haired empress with silver-colored fur, in her mid to
late teens. She rules our house with an iron paw.
Amelia - a rather large short-haired tortie. She's quite the snuggler.
Tabitha - a tiny black longhair. She looks pretty much like Persian
without the smooshed nose. She is very timid and hates being brushed - not
a good combination for a long-haired cat.
Samuel - an orange tabby shorthaired boy. He's long and lean, loves to
snuggle, talks a lot, and is also very shy around strangers.
Harri Roadcat - an orange tabby girlcat. She's 4 years old now. She came
to stay with me when she was about 3 months old, when I was driving a
semi-truck. She spent 9 months riding all over the US with me in my truck.
Also not fond of meeting strangers.
Ranger - a shorthaired grey guy, he looks a lot like a Russian Blue. He
isn't much afraid of anything, but he is cautious around new people until
he gets to know them. He's about 3, and still behaves like a kitten.

Isn't it wonderful what feline family members add to our lives?

Dan
Old June 11th 08, 04:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Irulan

Welcome to the group. Smudgie sounds a love, even
with the '******* cat trick'. But all our owners do those
once in a while.

Lily & her mama

--
Irulan
from the stars we come

Old June 11th 08, 04:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Sharon wrote:
[...]

Hi Sharon, welcome to the group. Smudgie sounds like quite a character.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old June 11th 08, 06:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Hi Sharon and welcome to the community. I am Gramby and I am owned by three
cats.

Miz Piglet who showed up from under a brush pile that had been lit to burn.

O. T. Mahoney who is an orange stripy over weight buy. He is my heart cat.

Then we have Whispering Willow who came from another member of this group
from Texas.

We do have fun, sometimes disagree about things but, in the end, I have
never been sorry I came here.

Old June 11th 08, 07:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

"Sharon" wrote in message
[...]

She sounds charming. Tuxedos are pretty popular around here!

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Old June 11th 08, 07:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Shiral

On Jun 11, 5:52*am, "Sharon" wrote:
[...]

Hi Sharon and welcome to the group. =o) Smudgie sounds adorable, and
bless you for giving her a home where she'll be properly looked
after. Do you have any pictures of her online? We'd love to see what
she looks like.

Melissa
Old June 11th 08, 08:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Welcome, Sharon!

--
Joy

Constant change is here to stay.

Old June 11th 08, 08:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"Sharon" wrote in message
Hi All
I came across this group a few days ago. I don't normally step out from
the "lurking shadows" but you all seem so nice I thought I'd take a deep
breath and jump right in!

Welcome. Smudgie sounds like a kitten after my own heart.

Pam S.

Old June 11th 08, 08:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Kreisleriana wrote:

"Sharon" wrote in message

I came across this group a few days ago. I don't normally step out from
the "lurking shadows" but you all seem so nice I thought I'd take a deep
breath and jump right in!

She sounds charming. Tuxedos are pretty popular around here!

As are cats named Smudge (or Smudgie). It's the most popular cat name
on RPCA. Or at least it was back when the cat-name census was taken.

Joyce - one of the people with a Smudge-cat (and I do call her Smudgie,
or Woodgie, among other things)

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name. ^..^