need advice

Old April 11th 05, 04:18 AM
Rich

Default need advice

here is the situation.. about november 2004, i found 2 kittens in my
backyard, very small, probably still nursing, but thier mother never
came back to feed them.. i kept an eye on them for a few hours, then
when it got dark, i put out a box and a blanket for them to sleep in,
and the next morning they were still there, so i gave them some baby
food and wound up caring for them in my backyard, giving them food and
water until they grew up a bit. now, they come and go, and i still feed
them when they are outside the door crying. they are not really feral,
they are used to me and my roommates. problem is, just last week, one
of my roommates said to me 'hey that one cat is getting fat'... well
the cat appears to be pregnant, and i dont want the cat to have kittens
here, because it would start a population boom in a very short time..
here i thought i was doing a good deed, and now it has backfired. the
block that i live on wouldnt be a good place for a bunch of cats
running around, there is a busy street right around the corner. so i
called the aspca for advice, they told me to call a local spay and
neuter hospital, who may even have waived the fee, considering the
circumstances. well, they said they cannot do it (spay) if the cat is
starting to show already, so they gave me the number of a vet that they
said is 'reasonable'.. im figuring they would have to abort the
kittens, we estimated the cat is about 5 weeks pregnant. should i take
the cat to the vet and do this to prevent unwanted kittens in the
neighborhood, or should i let the cat have the kittens and try to find
them a good home (not always easy)? im kind of stuck on this, because i
dont want the cat to lose her kittens, but the alternative is probably
worse, considering they wont have much of a life running around in the
wild out here. any advice is appreciated. thanks

Old April 11th 05, 01:15 PM
I'm bAck wIth my Fav4iteMidis

need advice

Group: rec.pets.cats.rescue Date: Sun, Apr 10, 2005, 8:18pm (EDT-3)
From: (Rich)
[...]

Let me ask you a question? Why when you first saw them as kittens
didn't you take them in instead of letting them stay outside? You could
of gotten them fixed or at least found a good home for them. One more
question. Lets say you get a vet that will abort those kitten. What
happens to the mother after that? Is she going to get fixed too? If
not. She will get pregnant again. All this could of been avoided if they
were taken care of when they were kittens

Old April 11th 05, 03:54 PM
Hemmaholic

The feline gestation period is something like 9 weeks, why on earth
would you even consider aborting the pregnancy at this late stage?

I strongly urge you to take BOTH kittens/cats to the nearest no-kill
shelter and the next time you happen to "find kittens' in your back
yard, take them immediately to the same shelter.

Leaving small kittens outside tells me you have no business caring for
a cat of any age.

BTW, where do you think kittens like these two came from? They came
from someone like you who hasn't got enough sense to have their animal
spayed/neutered and allows them to roam free.

Hemma

Old April 11th 05, 04:12 PM
Rich

I'm bAck wIth my Fav4ite Midis wrote:

Let me ask you a question? Why when you first saw them as kittens
didn't you take them in instead of letting them stay outside? You

could
of gotten them fixed or at least found a good home for them. One more
question. Lets say you get a vet that will abort those kitten. What
happens to the mother after that? Is she going to get fixed too? If
not. She will get pregnant again. All this could of been avoided if

they
were taken care of when they were kittens

because i do not want housepets, period. maybe all of this could have
been avoided if i would have taken them to get spayed when they were
small, but i did not consider them my pets. i just fed them so maybe
they werent hungry. if i take the mother to have anything done, yes,
she would be fixed while she is there, because i dont want multiple
cats spreading thru the neighborhood.

Old April 11th 05, 07:55 PM

Get both cats fixed ASAP. There are already too many cats and too few
homes. Allowing the cat to have kittens will result in even more cats
and take away homes from those that are already here.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old April 11th 05, 07:58 PM

The feline gestation period is something
like 9 weeks, why on earth would you
even consider aborting the pregnancy at
this late stage?

Because the world does not need more kittens. It is perfectly safe time
to do spay/abort on acat that's 5 weeks pregnant.