Cat won't use littler box anymore

Old April 25th 12, 04:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Dom

Default Cat won't use littler box anymore

Here's the story.

I saved a cat from being put down, after the old owner allowed his
weight to go up to 32 lbs. After 5 years, he stopped walking, and of
course he stopped using his box. He just urinated where he was
sitting, and I started a ritual of washing him and doing what I could
to clean the floor. The vet put him on a strict diet and
glocosamine. A few weeks have passed and he is "down" to just 30 lbs,
and he walks as well as he did before.

BUT HE STILL REFUSES TO USE HIS LITTER BOX.

He doesn't go where he is sitting. Instead, he gets up and walks to
the same spot, just next to the box, and goes there. Always in the
same spot. I can't figure this out. He is right next to the box, but
he won't use it, and if I pick him up and put him in the box he fights
me and acts like he can't get out fast enough.

Please help. I have to leave town in July for a week, and I can't
leave him with a sitter. I'd have to get a boarding place for him,
which I really don't want to do.

Dom
Old April 25th 12, 09:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene[_2_]

First, while I'm happy that you are working on reducing his weight, I
hope your vet has stressed how important it is for him to SLOWLY lose
the weight. Like with humans, rapid weight loss can be dangerous for
cats.

On to your original question, what kind of litter box do you have? Is
it covered? If it's covered, try removing the cover. Perhaps it's
painful or difficult for him to get in the box. Try a low-sided box,
or cut away part of the side on the existing box to see if that helps.
If he's that overweight, he might need a low side until he can get to
a more manageable weight.

How many boxes do you have? Try adding another one. What kind of
litter do you use--he might not like what you're using. Try an
unscented clumping litter. You can also try the Cat Attract litter. If
he's trying to avoid the box, there's something that he doesn't like
about it.

Where exactly is he going? Is it feasible to put a box there?

Lastly, try adding a Feliway diffuser. They were made for cats with
litter box problems.

Sorry for all of the questions. The more information we have, the
better we can help you.

Rene

ps, Since you've been to the vet, I'm hoping you've ruled out a
medical problem? If not, give the vet a call.
Old April 26th 12, 08:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Rene wrote:
[...]

I have some friends who built a, "cateo" outside their house. Its covered,
screened in, has cat door access from the house, and their two cats like to
spend time out there. Their litter boxes are there, but if they don't want
to use them, its no big deal, since its outside ther house. with a small
garden and flowers/plants growing there. I thought it was an excellent
solution for indoor cats.....

Old April 26th 12, 01:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Dom

On Apr 25, 4:20*pm, Rene wrote:
[...]

We are aiming at 1 lb per week. The box is uncovered. I would say
the sides are low, but I found one that is a little lower, so I'll
give that try. I never heard of cat attract litter, but I'll look for
it. He goes right beside the box. What bothers me is that if I lift
him and place him in the box, he struggles and cries. I'm starting to
think the he objects to the softness of the litter, since his weight
and arthritis may make that hard for him
Old April 26th 12, 03:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene[_2_]

We are aiming at 1 lb per week. *The box is uncovered. *I would say
the sides are low, but I found one that is a little lower, so I'll
give that try. *I never heard of cat attract litter, but I'll look for
it. *He goes right beside the box. *What bothers me is that if I lift
him and place him in the box, he struggles and cries. *I'm starting to
think the he objects to the softness of the litter, since his weight
and arthritis may make that hard for him

One pound per week is very drastic. Think of the percentage of the
weight that is--it's a lot. IMO I'd slow it down. When our oldest had
to lose weight, he lost six pounds in about nine months.

If he's crying, something is painful to him. The extra weight
certainly may compound the arthritis. If he doesn't respond to the
glucosamine, you may need to try something else for his pain. I prefer
to use natural products (when appropriate), and have used a joint
supplement for our oldest I ordered from Only Natural Pet (not
affiliated). You could check their website if things don't improve.

In the meantime, try the lower sided box or if you have to, cut away
part of the side completely so he doesn't have to step over anything.
You might add another box or two in other locations. If he's in pain,
he may not be able to make it to the box in time.

Rene
Old April 27th 12, 01:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Dom

On Apr 26, 10:49*am, Rene wrote:
[...]

Sorry, I meant 1/2 lb per week. The glucoamine is working. He walks
now, just as before, which wasn't very good because of his weight.

I just noticed that when he goes on the towel I set out on the carpet,
he still kicks, and gets a little frustrated when he can't bury the
urine. He's a very clean cat, he just doesn't use the box anymore.
I'm going to try the lower sided box, and hope that he notices it's
something new.

Dom
Old April 27th 12, 05:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene[_2_]

I just noticed that when he goes on the towel I set out on the carpet,
he still kicks, and gets a little frustrated when he can't bury the
urine. *He's a very clean cat, he just doesn't use the box anymore.
I'm going to try the lower sided box, and hope that he notices it's
something new.

Aw, I feel for this guy. He must be in a good amount of pain. I'm glad
you are helping him lose weight. That alone will help a lot with his
joints. Please keep us posted.

Rene

Old April 27th 12, 05:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MLB[_4_]

On 04/27/2012 06:31 AM, Dom wrote:
On Apr 26, 10:49 am, wrote:
[...]

Suggestion: Pick him up and place him gently in the new box. While
holding him, take one paw and help him make a scratching motion. Then
push gently on his rear to a sitting position . During this time talk
softly and explain to him, that you are helping him learn to potty
properly. Good luck. TuTu
Old May 11th 12, 01:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Dom

On Apr 26, 10:49 am, *wrote:
[...]

properly. *Good luck. *TuTu- Hide quoted text -

Just a follow up. My little guy is using his box now. All I did was
this: I removed the soft little blanket from the floor that I set out
for him to catch his urine, and I substituted a disposable bed liner,
the kind used for young kids that still wet the bed. I guess he
didn't like that. He took a look at it, walked on it, decided it
wasn't for him, then just walked over to the box, jumped in, and did
his duty. Just like that!

Old May 14th 12, 05:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene[_2_]

Nice! Thanks for the update. Cats are such creatures of habit. Hope he
continues to improve and lose weight.

I won't be here much, anymore. Gandalf Cat community 7 July 5th 11 06:14 PM
Can't take it anymore Pat Cat anecdotes 69 January 5th 07 07:23 PM
[OT] I couldn't take it anymore... [email protected] Cat anecdotes 83 July 28th 06 02:09 AM
Anymore kittens?? Karen Cat anecdotes 4 March 27th 05 05:37 PM
Older Cat not going all the way into the littler box. JB Cat health & behaviour 15 August 30th 04 09:10 PM