The Worst Birthday Ever (Long)

Old July 15th 04, 11:28 PM
Margaret Fine

Ginger-lyn Summer wrote:

All I wanted to do on Tuesday was sit down quietly, drink some wine,
and watch some videos (exciting birthday, huh? DH had to work, it's a
Tuesday, bleah). I get about 3/4 of the way through "Big Fish" when
all hell breaks loose.

You see, we had these stupid neighbors across the street awhile back.
They let their cats run outside, and couldn't seem to get the concept
of "spaying" (even though I explained it to them several times). I
once saw their Russian Blue, on the coldest night of the year,
standing on a sheet of ice as I came out to put food and water in the
dishes for the outdoor critters. Very sad.

Now, maybe six months ago, I found a little white kitten on my porch.
Assumed it was a stray. I already had a rescue kitty in the Kitty
Rescue Room, so I did the only thing I could (and being a
quasi-apartment manager does have its advantages!): I put kitten in
the empty apartment next door.

A few years ago, I posted about my horrible neighbor who kept her cat
chained up pretty much her entire life, a life cut short by feline
leukemia. She allowed this cat to die slowly and painfully at home,
chained up, while her children watched. Grrrr. She also kept her dog
chained up, never walked her, and had her son take out the soiled
newspapers on a daily basis.

I talked to her nicely about all this -- several times. She ignored
every bit of good advice I gave her. So when she started chaining the
dog outside 24/7, without adequate shelter and food and water, I
called the Humane Society.

Since then, she has been furious with me and barely spoken to me.
Four years.

Last Friday, I catch her on my porch, moving the outdoor critter
dishes to the back. She's freaked by the raccoons that sometimes come
around. She somehow thinks they won't come to the back porch? I
don't know. But it's dark out back, and smaller. Much more difficult
to scoop up any stray cat. So I move them back to the front, and
endure her screaming at me at the top of her lungs, cursing me with
every possible name (including the "C" word), in front of the entire
building (everyone just happens to be on their porches), including
children.

About a month ago, the brother of the awful neighbor from across the
street (who has since moved) asked me if I wanted the Russian Blue's
two kittens. I said I couldn't keep them, but I could get them into a
shelter, rescue group, something. Monday, he knocks on my door and
asks if I still want them. "Yes", I reply. But I wasn't set up yet,
so asked him to come back Tuesday with the kittens.

So it's Tuesday, and I'm sipping wine and watching "Big Fish". I hear
the third awful neighbor, next door to me. These people scream and
curse at each other and their children *constantly*. Their children
have ruined my garden fence, picked my flowers, and probably stolen
things from my porch (can't swear to that, but things are missing).
The landlord is evicting them, but that takes time. Anyway, I hear
them talking about kittens, and go "Oh, no!" And go out and see the
guy has given the kittens to them. Now, they have a history of animal
abuse. They only want a cat to catch mice. I am appalled that this
guy would go back on his word and give these kittens to these idiots!
So I say "I'm sorry, but you are not allowed to have animals (which
was my understanding), please give me the kittens."

All hell broke loose. Not only did I have them screaming and cursing
at me, children crying, horrible things being said, but the other
animal-abusing neighbor comes down and starts screaming at me for the
second time in less than a week.

It's my birthday. I have been verbally assaulted, and nearly
physically so. I have been threatened. All because I am trying to
help these two little kittens find a good home.

In tears, terrified, I call the landlord. He does not know what to
do, either, but suggests I give them the one cat back since, chances
are when they leave, they'll dump it, and I'll get it anyway. And
otherwise, call the police Nothing has been specific enough to call
the police on ("We'll get 10 pit bills!" probably doesn't qualify as a
threat of bodily harm), so I reluctantly go over with the little black
kitten, say "I was mistaken, here".

It broke my heart. That little adorable girl will have nothing but a
short and miserable life more than likely. And I have been accused of
and called everything in the book. All for trying to help animals.

I just do not understand people anymore. I really don't.

Ginger-lyn
very depressed

I'm sorry just doesn't cut it but I am going to say it anyway. I am
sorry you had a crappy birthday and I am sorry that you'll have to wait
and wonder what happens to that kitten. My vote (as if I have one) is
the minute you see that baby outside, alone, you grab it and hide it.
Do you have anyone that can spirit it away? How long until these idiots
are gone???
--
Margaret Fine

Old July 16th 04, 02:46 AM
Susan M

"Ginger-lyn Summer" wrote in message
All I wanted to do on Tuesday was sit down quietly, drink some wine,
and watch some videos (exciting birthday, huh? DH had to work, it's a
Tuesday, bleah). I get about 3/4 of the way through "Big Fish" when
all hell breaks loose.

snip

Oh Ginger-lyn, I'm sorry about everything that has happened ... sorry for
you and for the kittens and the children there. It is hard to speak out
against such crazy people, especially when they are your neighbours and I
really admire what you have tried to do with them. I'm sending you happy
birthday thoughts and calming thoughts to all the crazies around you. I
hope that the kitten makes her way back to you.

Take very good care,

Susan M
Otis and chester

Old July 16th 04, 07:02 AM
Melissa Houle

Mary wrote in message
.com...

"m. L. Briggs" wrote

I am not trying to be funny, Ginger, but I do wish to say Happy Birthday

IN SPITE of the awful situation. We are told that everything happens for

purpose (don't necessarily believe this) but try to find the purpose in
this -- you finding a better place to live.

Heartfelt agreement.

And from me too. I'm sorry you had to go through that verbal abuse, and am
sorry for all the cats and dogs these terrible people have abused. Good for
you for at least TRYING to help the animals! (Geez, all that happened on MY
last birthday was the death of my car. I feel lucky.) I hope that when the
wheel turns and the Terrible Tenants finally leave, you will get those
particular kittens back. One thing I know is, little Nina will never leave
my care!

Do something this week that you really love to do as a delayed birthday
treat to raise your spirits in the short term. Personally, I believe
birthday hoopla should last at least a week, anyway.

Melissa
Panther, Francesca and Nina. (The kitten formerly known as TK.)