Kitten umbilical hernia

Old July 30th 09, 12:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Susan \(CobbersMom\)

Default Kitten umbilical hernia

I've seen plenty of these hernias in puppies, having worked for a vet for
many years (no longer). Now I have a 3 month old kitten with one (born with
it) and it appears to be enlarging slowly. Usually I can push the bowels
back in easily but now its getting a bit more difficult and I don't want a
strangulation situation. By the way, she's acting crazy as usual for a
kitten.
However when reading about the repairs, its always about waiting until the
spay/neuter around 6 months. The articles advise sooner when the hole gets
larger. My question is 'what is larger'? I could easily fit my finger or
thumb (womans hand) into the opening if it were accessible from outside the
cat g.
I'm looking for your experiences with these hernias such as size and when it
was repaired.
If necessary, I'll have it fixed soon but would like to wait for her spay
unless I can find a vet close by who will spay her early. She weighs about
2 lbs.
Sue
Minocqua, WI
Yamaha '00 VStar 650
'04 TW200 (mud = fun)
Kawasaki '95 Vulcan 1500 V#15937

I'LL KEEP MY MONEY, MY FREEDOM AND MY GUNS.
YOU CAN KEEP THE "CHANGE"!

Old July 30th 09, 04:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
spot

What does your vet want to do? The kitten should be seen by a vet and
the vet should be the one telling you when it needs done.

Celeste
Old July 30th 09, 05:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Granby

The first thing I would do is take the kitty to a vet and let them decide
what is best. If you think there is a problem, there probably is and that
is where you can get your best information. You said you worked for a vet
at one time, I would think that would answer your question for you.

Old July 30th 09, 05:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

Umm VET NOW

Why do you have to ask

Old July 31st 09, 04:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gandalf

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 23:40:31 GMT, "Susan \(CobbersMom\)"
wrote:

[...]

It is now quite common for vets to spay/neuter at 12 weeks.

Your cat must be older than that. If you vet doesn't do spays on young
cats, find one who does

When the cat is spayed, the hernia can be easily repaired, for little or
no additional cost: anaesthesia, vet and tech time is already paid for.

But do it ASAP!
Old July 31st 09, 07:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"spot" wrote in message
What does your vet want to do? The kitten should be seen by a vet and the
vet should be the one telling you when it needs done.

Susan is a moron. Poor cat.