rabies shots, 1-yr or 3-yr?

Old July 31st 09, 02:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
calvin

Default rabies shots, 1-yr or 3-yr?

I've always (for the past 10 years) had 1-year rabies shots
for my cats, for three reasons:

1) I'm afraid, without knowing the answer, that the 3-yr shot
causes a cat more discomfort, for a longer period of time,
than the 1-yr shot. Is this true?

2) I think it's good for the vet to see all of my cats at least
once a year. My vet always gives the shots in my presence,
so I can tell him or ask him things about each cat at that
time, and schedule an examination if the vet thinks it
advisable. This is in addition to emergency visits to the
vet, of course.

3) Since all of my cats are indoor/outdoor, the vet
gives a precautionary de-worming pill, or parts of pills,
depending on weight, at the same time as the rabies
shots. He says that an unneeded de-worming pill does
no harm. Is this true?
Old July 31st 09, 03:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Magic Mood Jeep

"calvin" wrote in message
I've always (for the past 10 years) had 1-year rabies shots
for my cats, for three reasons:

1) I'm afraid, without knowing the answer, that the 3-yr shot
causes a cat more discomfort, for a longer period of time,
than the 1-yr shot. Is this true?

Have no clue. Where I live there is not 3-yr shot allowed for cats (state
law) but people are working (including my vet) to get that changed. It is
allowed for dogs.

2) I think it's good for the vet to see all of my cats at least
once a year. My vet always gives the shots in my presence,
so I can tell him or ask him things about each cat at that
time, and schedule an examination if the vet thinks it
advisable. This is in addition to emergency visits to the
vet, of course.

Yes, our vet is the same. Even with dogs, there are yearly checkups/shots
needed (kennel cough if you want/need to board your dog at a kennel,
parvo, and others). If your cats are I/O, it would be wise to keep them
updated on FIV/FELV vaccines.

3) Since all of my cats are indoor/outdoor, the vet
gives a precautionary de-worming pill, or parts of pills,
depending on weight, at the same time as the rabies
shots. He says that an unneeded de-worming pill does
no harm. Is this true?

No clue. Mine are all indoor only, but we have mice in our house (ancient
former farmhouse that occasionally gets a suicidal mouse inside), plus
with the d-things sometimes bringing in fleas, we always have our cats
de-wormed at the vet. They always ask, too, since they know that they are
inside. This is one of the reasons we took our dam-near feral hidey-cat,
Betty, to the vet this year, since we had a bit of a flea problem last
year (thought it was the dogs bringing them in, but it turned out to be a
friend who was helping us build our fence and doing odd jobs - he lived
downtown in a rental with an old sofa on the porch (student rentals
usually have such a thing) that was flea ridden and full of mice! )

her
wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
former-blonde

Old July 31st 09, 04:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S

1) *I'm afraid, without knowing the answer, that the 3-yr shot
*causes a cat more discomfort, for a longer period of time,
*than the 1-yr shot. *Is this true?

According to this article on Little Big Cat, the 1 or 3 year vaccine
for rabies is exactly the same vaccine:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.ph...em=vaccination

3) Since all of my cats are indoor/outdoor, the vet
*gives a precautionary de-worming pill, or parts of pills,
*depending on weight, at the same time as the rabies
*shots. *He says that an unneeded de-worming pill does
*no harm. *Is this true?

I would disagree. A worm tablet must kill the worms but not the cat,
so IMO it is not a benign pill. Bring stool samples when you go in for
your check ups and have them check those before giving possibly
unneeded medication.
Old July 31st 09, 04:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
calvin

On Jul 31, 11:23*am, Rene S wrote:
1) *I'm afraid, without knowing the answer, that the 3-yr shot
*causes a cat more discomfort, for a longer period of time,
*than the 1-yr shot. *Is this true?

According to this article on Little Big Cat, the 1 or 3 year vaccine
for rabies is exactly the same vaccine:

For convenience, the relevant paragraph is copied below.
Why on earth does it mention giving a 3-year
vaccine every year? Why would anyone want to
do that? Presumably the whole point of a
3-year vaccine is to reduce the frequency of
having to give rabies shots.

Also, as you said, the vaccine is the same
for 1 or 3 years, but one would naturally assume
that the dosage level is different. That's the reason
for my question about whether the 3-yr causes more
discomfort for the cat than the 1-yr.

from the linked article:
"The rabies vaccine is required by law for most
animals in most jurisdictions. Therefore, it is
important from a legal standpoint to follow your
jurisdiction’s regulations concerning rabies
vaccines for your pets. Killed rabies vaccines
are labeled for either 1 or 3 years; but the
vaccine in the bottle is exactly the same in
both cases. Giving a 3-year vaccine every year
puts your pet at even greater risk for an adverse
reaction. If your pet receives a killed rabies
vaccine, be certain that it is labeled for 3 years.
For cats, there is a safer vaccine: Purevax, by
Merial, is a recombinant vector vaccine that does
not induce the inflammation that occurs with killed,
adjuvanted vaccines. If your vet clinic does not
carry it, ask if they will order it, or try to find one
who does. It’s worth it."
Old July 31st 09, 08:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S

Calvin,

I didn't mean to confuse you by linking to that article. I merely
wanted to point out that there are different types of vaccines. While
there is always a risk when giving a vaccine, the Purevax 1-year
rabies is the safest one currently available. I did a little Googling
and don't believe Purevax is available in anything other than a one-
year version.

IMO, it's much safer to use the Purevax annually vs. the traditional 1
or 3 year.
Old August 3rd 09, 02:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
calvin

On Aug 2, 9:09*pm, hopitus wrote:
I know nothing about worm pills (Droncet in my case). I used to have
to give my cats in FL
regularly but since moving to MileHigh they never go outside and
insects are very few here.
AFA your question re rabies vaccines....for reasons I won;t go into,
steer clear of the 3-year vaccine.
I can give no brand names to you pro or con. If you would like a vet's
say on the 3-year, mine told
me he does not recommend it as in his opinion it loses power over time
and is not as effective near
the end of time period as at the onset.
Consult your vet by all means. Sarcomas have been caused previously on
cats' injection sites...
that's why they now inject 3-year on a rear leg in case of necessity
for amputation.
This is serious business. Don't take a survey. Talk to your vet.
The cat's pain factor from the needle is the least of your worries.

I've never given my cats a three year rabies vaccine, but the cat
that I inherited from my mother had been given one, with no ill
effects that I was aware of, though I fully believe your concerns.

I was only curious, and have no intention of changing to
the three year vaccine. The added discomfort that I was imagining
coming from a three year vaccine had nothing to do with needle
pain, however.

Rhode Island Rabies Law--Contact Rabies Control Board Now Kris L. Christine Cat health & behaviour 7 February 21st 10 01:16 PM
Rabies Shots Sharon Cat anecdotes 26 July 15th 08 10:51 PM
how log do shots last? avalanche* Cat anecdotes 5 August 28th 06 07:23 PM
Do these need shots? Teddy Cat health & behaviour 2 April 7th 05 07:04 PM
Rabies shots ---MIKE--- Cat health & behaviour 6 June 26th 04 03:00 AM