[OT] A reminder to back-up your PC

Old December 7th 09, 08:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Default [OT] A reminder to back-up your PC

Totally OT, but every once ina while we need remidners to do things that
seem trivial t the time but will save us a lot of grief if something goes
wrong.

I tried to boot my PC this morning, and it told me I needed to boot frm a
boottable disk. We did have a power cut some time in the night, so I figured
it simply hadn't shut down properly. I hit 'reset' and tried again. Same
thing. So I jiggled the hard drive, and pressed the power button once more.
Still getting the same error. Remembering I had an ancient hard drive
(running Windows 98) sititng there in my computer case, doing nothing, I
plugged the various cords in and rebooted once more, this time with success.
Using Windows 98, I managed to access the big hard drive and copy all my
precious photos onto our external hard drive.

It now seems to be working again, but for how long is anyone's guess. I
won't be *happy* when the big hard drive goes kaboom (as seems inevitable
now), but at least I'll have all my precious digital photos. The rest is
replacable.

So, if you haven't done it already, take the time and back up at least the
important stuff.

Yowie
--
If you're paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many
pancakes can you fit in a doghouse? None, icecream doesn't have bones.

Old December 7th 09, 09:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine BA[_2_]

Yowie kirjoitti:
[...]

I have a 500 Gb external hard drive, and as my internal one is only
about 150 Gb, I can make an entire disc image copy onto the external one
as backup.
Actually I just got this idea, as earlier I had copied just bits and
pieces, but it would be simple to take a disc image now and then and
ditch the old version...

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com

Reminder Adam Cat community 7 August 24th 06 04:20 AM
A reminder of Cat ID Quiz Duke of URL Cat anecdotes 32 March 14th 06 04:07 AM
A reminder.... Gandalf Cat anecdotes 0 January 23rd 06 07:14 AM
Just a reminder: Magic Mood Jeep Cat anecdotes 0 November 15th 05 11:46 AM
Live Show Reminder Cat Protector Cat health & behaviour 0 October 21st 05 04:51 PM