How's THIS for an idea for RPCA?

Old April 15th 05, 01:07 AM
Gabey8

Default How's THIS for an idea for RPCA?

Hey, all! I had an idea that I've wanted to put forth to the group for a
while now. I'm sure a lot of us have seen the cafepress.com site. It's a
place where people can create their own online "store", with their own
logo or photos imprinted on various items.

Cafepress has a base price for each item; the person creating the store
marks up the price when they design the item with their logo/photo on it.

Online customers buy the item, and pay for shipping. Cafepress then keeps
the base price, and sends the shop owner the markup value.

How interested would we be in creating a Cafe Press store, with photos of
OUR cats on the items, and using any profits to bolster the RPCA Emergency
Fund?

So many of us have SUCH incredible photos of our kitties. I would think
that we could easily create a storeful of items with our cats' images on
them.

It's just a suggestion that I've been mulling over. I felt that it was
time to run it by everyone else and get some feedback.

Donna

Old April 15th 05, 01:15 AM
CatNipped

"Gabey8" wrote in message
lkaboutpets.com...
[...]

Sounds good to me. However, I don't think we've set up another fund yet. I
think we'd have to talk about how to do that first (maybe incorporate so we
could have several "officers" who could manage the account?).

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 15th 05, 01:30 AM
Yowie

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Gabey8" wrote in message
lkaboutpets.com...
[...]

It sounds like a good idea - It would make it easier to distribute things
like RPCA T-shirts, coffee mugs etc etc. As for funds going into the
emergency vet fund, I'm all for that too, but this time want to make sure
its setup is foolproof this time. I don't know how to set up a "friendly
society" where each member is also a "shareholder" and has an "account"
there, and we can use our "savings" to fund interest-free or
minimum-interest emergency loans, or even set-up a "pet insurance" sort of
company, but it seems like we need to make something that is transparent and
accoutnable to all people who contribute financially whilst still makign
sure hte overheads are absolutely minimal.

If anyone has a background in finances, and indeed, *international* finances
at that (no point me contributing if the fund can only cover Americans, for
example), we need your input.

Yowie

Old April 15th 05, 09:09 AM
jmcquown

Gabey8 wrote:
Hey, all! I had an idea that I've wanted to put forth to the group
for a while now. I'm sure a lot of us have seen the cafepress.com
site. It's a place where people can create their own online "store",
with their own logo or photos imprinted on various items.

Does RPCA have a "logo"? A symbol?

Cafepress has a base price for each item; the person creating the
store marks up the price when they design the item with their
logo/photo on it.

My 2 cents - I'm not sure I'd go for this idea. No offense, but I can buy
stuff from Webshots using my own photos for next to nothing. I don't need
anyone marking up prices... if we had a real logo (like they do over in
rec.food.cooking) I *might* buy a rpca T-shirt. Not sure I'd spend money on
items with other people's pets on them (granted, they are all pretty!). I
bought a number of the cookbooks they put together for charity to benefit
Harvest House after 9/11. What could we do in that vein? Maybe a cat
calendar? I'd be willing to work with that! I guess I'm flip-flopping
here; the more I type the more I'm thinking no, yes, no, maybe, yes :-o

I kind of like the idea of a fund for those in need of urgent veterinary
services, but who'd judge who is "in need" and who isn't? And as Yowie
said, then we get into International Banking. Who maintains the fund? Who
is accountable? Muddy water.

I think this group does a wonderful job chipping in and helping when it's
needed without an "official" fund. But hey, this is just my take on things.
I'm not the know-all-see-all woman I used to be! (heheh)

Jill

Old April 15th 05, 05:12 PM
Enfilade

So many of us have SUCH incredible photos of our kitties. I would think
that we could easily create a storeful of items with our cats' images on
them.

Is this a place to mention I'm a cartoonist part-time?

This is not something to try when I have a term paper due Monday and a
house full of viruses and flu bugs, but in a couple weeks I'll take a
stab at posting something...

....maybe instead of pics of everyone's cats, we could have a logo, or
a big "group 'toon" of everyone's pets.

How about that on a shirt or mouse pad?

--Fil
Old April 15th 05, 05:31 PM
CatNipped

"Enfilade" wrote in message
om...

So many of us have SUCH incredible photos of our kitties. I would think
that we could easily create a storeful of items with our cats' images on
them.

Is this a place to mention I'm a cartoonist part-time?

This is not something to try when I have a term paper due Monday and a
house full of viruses and flu bugs, but in a couple weeks I'll take a
stab at posting something...

...maybe instead of pics of everyone's cats, we could have a logo, or
a big "group 'toon" of everyone's pets.

How about that on a shirt or mouse pad?

--Fil

That would be *AWESOME*!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 16th 05, 02:01 PM
Duke of URL

Enfilade wrote:

So many of us have SUCH incredible photos of our kitties. I would
think that we could easily create a storeful of items with our cats'
images on them.

Is this a place to mention I'm a cartoonist part-time?

This is not something to try when I have a term paper due Monday and a
house full of viruses and flu bugs, but in a couple weeks I'll take a
stab at posting something...

...maybe instead of pics of everyone's cats, we could have a logo, or
a big "group 'toon" of everyone's pets.

How about that on a shirt or mouse pad?

I saw one time a shirt made of fabric that was /completely/ all-over printed
with literally dozens of small photos of the lady's cats. I didn't ask her
how she got it - wish I had.
Let me make it clear: I'm not talking about a pre-made shirt where multiple
iron-on transfers have been applied - this was as though a huge sheet of
fabric had the pictures dyed in, then was cut up and stitched into a shirt.
--

Cliologist, Philanthropologist, Prothonotary Wibbler,
Paleoconservative, Surface Warrior Squid

Old April 16th 05, 03:41 PM
jmcquown

Duke of URL wrote:
Enfilade wrote:

[...]

That shirt must simply scream "I'm a cat lover!"

Jill

Old April 16th 05, 04:39 PM
Gabey8

[[Is this a place to mention I'm a cartoonist part-time?

This is not something to try when I have a term paper due Monday and a
house full of viruses and flu bugs, but in a couple weeks I'll take a
stab at posting something...

....maybe instead of pics of everyone's cats, we could have a logo, or
a big "group 'toon" of everyone's pets.

How about that on a shirt or mouse pad? ]]

That would rock! I know I'd be more than glad to submit kitty pics to the
cause, AND buy the resulting shirt and/or other items. )

Donna