My Cats Tongue is hanging out "HELP"

Old February 28th 04, 03:00 AM
V Lynn Freelon

Default My Cats Tongue is hanging out "HELP"

Hello, I have recently notice my 15 yr old Cat's tongue is hanging out
of her mouth, like she is sticking out her tongue. Also she has kinda
of a wet mouth not dripping or anything but it is wet. Do you have any
clue why she is doing this.
Thanks for any help you can offer to this question.
Lyn

Old February 28th 04, 03:21 AM
Cathy Friedmann

Is just the tip of her tongue sticking out - like she sort of forgot to
bring it back into her mouth, or is her tongue sticking way out? Is it for
several minutes at a time, or sort of permanent?

If it's just the tip of her tongue, for relatively short periods of time,
then it's normal.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Old February 28th 04, 03:33 AM
Mary

Hello, I have recently notice my 15 yr old Cat's tongue is hanging out
of her mouth, like she is sticking out her tongue. Also she has kinda
of a wet mouth not dripping or anything but it is wet. Do you have any
clue why she is doing this.
Thanks for any help you can offer to this question.
Lyn

If just the tip sticks out after she cleans herself just for a few minutes,
that's nothing. If it hangs out a bit for longer with drooling, she could be
ill. Is she having trouble breathing, say panting? If so, take her to the vet
now. Can you look at her teeth and see if her gums are red and inflammed? That
can cause some cats to drool. How does she look otherwise, eating fine, peeing,
pooping, drinking, playing...? Is she just sitting there or trying to hide?

Old February 28th 04, 07:23 AM
V Lynn Freelon

It is just the tip, and it is all most all of the time, she is old so
playing is not something she really does very often - allot of sleeping.
She is not hiding any more than usual. I have never seen her do this
before and it has been happening for approx. a week. She eats the same,
nothing changed too much other than the wet around mouth and her tongue
sticking/hanging out. about 1/2 inch. I tried to look in her mouth but
she was not very happy about this, and she can be grouchy... so I gave
that up - she likes to bite when messed with so maybe I should take her
to the Vet.
Any ideals why she is doing this?
Lyn

Old February 28th 04, 11:02 AM
Willows

Older cats will sometimes loose their front teeth, or get dental
problems, she may need a dental done by the vet. I'm pretty sure its
nothing serious but I would have her teeth checked. This is all really
common in older cats and isn't much to worry about but you do need to
have a vet check her teeth.

Old February 28th 04, 03:44 PM
Cathy Friedmann

It doesn't sound like an emergency (to me), but since she's never done it
before & is now doing it often, then I think the vet visit is a good idea.