Mosquitoes (On Topic)

Old May 21st 07, 05:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

Default Mosquitoes (On Topic)

After such a wet spring we are having a real mosquito epidemic. I
imagine lots of you all in other parts of the country are having more
of them this year too.

I never really considered heartworm for the cats, because they're
indoors at least 90% of the time and we were just never bothered by
mosquitoes outdoors. Till now.

I know now I've got to get them on heartworm protection. I am familiar
with what the treatment was a few years ago for dogs, it was one pill
a month. Is it the same still, and the same for cats?

Sherry

Old May 21st 07, 06:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Sherry" wrote in message
oups.com...
After such a wet spring we are having a real mosquito epidemic. I
imagine lots of you all in other parts of the country are having more
of them this year too.

I never really considered heartworm for the cats, because they're
indoors at least 90% of the time and we were just never bothered by
mosquitoes outdoors. Till now.

I know now I've got to get them on heartworm protection. I am familiar
with what the treatment was a few years ago for dogs, it was one pill
a month. Is it the same still, and the same for cats?

Sherry

Yes, it's the same for cats. I use Heartgard (obviously, ask for feline and
not canine Heartgard). It is a large, pliable pill which is supposed to be
chewable. Well, neither of mine show any interest in voluntarily eating one
of those pills! However, they are soft, so I twist and crumble them into
tiny pieces and then mix them with either tuna or canned chicken. I also
sit and watch the cats eat to make sure that each of them eats the entire
pill and *does not* begin to share the other cat's portion. I use
Heartgard 12 months of the year, and I give it on the first day of the month
to make it easy to remember.

MaryL

Old May 21st 07, 08:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Sherry wrote:
After such a wet spring we are having a real mosquito epidemic. I
imagine lots of you all in other parts of the country are having more
of them this year too.

I never really considered heartworm for the cats, because they're
indoors at least 90% of the time and we were just never bothered by
mosquitoes outdoors. Till now.

I know now I've got to get them on heartworm protection. I am familiar
with what the treatment was a few years ago for dogs, it was one pill
a month. Is it the same still, and the same for cats?

Sherry

I've been concerned about this, too. With the lovely cool weather Persia
has been spending a lot of time in her enclosure. I'm concerned not only
about mosquito bites but also about fleas and ticks. She hasn't exhibited
any signs of being bitten by anything (me neither!) but I'd rather play it
safe with her. What is the least expensive treatment that will deal with
both? Advantage? Frontline? Those are the names most frequently bandied
about but are there cheaper alternatives?

I have to pick up Persia's food at the vet in the morning so I'll be asking
them. But we all know they are as beleagured with sales reps as any doctor
who has pharmaceutical salesmen beating down his door. Thought I'd get your
opinions, too

Jill

Old May 21st 07, 08:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Sherry wrote:
[...]

And while we're discussing Frontline and Advantage, does anybody see a
difference? If so, which one do you think is best?

Joy

Old May 21st 07, 10:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew

"Sherry" wrote in message
oups.com...
After such a wet spring we are having a real mosquito epidemic. I
imagine lots of you all in other parts of the country are having more
of them this year too.

I never really considered heartworm for the cats, because they're
indoors at least 90% of the time and we were just never bothered by
mosquitoes outdoors. Till now.

I know now I've got to get them on heartworm protection. I am familiar
with what the treatment was a few years ago for dogs, it was one pill
a month. Is it the same still, and the same for cats?

Sherry

There is a place in Florida called mosquito alley this is not joke the
mosquito get so thick they can smother you

Old May 21st 07, 02:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Sherry wrote:
I know now I've got to get them on heartworm protection. I am familiar
with what the treatment was a few years ago for dogs, it was one pill
a month. Is it the same still, and the same for cats?

We use Revolution, it's a topical medication that protects against
fleas, heartworm, hookworm and roundworm.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old May 21st 07, 02:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On May 21, 8:14 am, Victor Martinez wrote:
Sherry wrote:
I know now I've got to get them on heartworm protection. I am familiar
with what the treatment was a few years ago for dogs, it was one pill
a month. Is it the same still, and the same for cats?

We use Revolution, it's a topical medication that protects against
fleas, heartworm, hookworm and roundworm.

--
Victor M. Martinez

Oh wow, no joke? I didn't know Revolution protected against Heartworm.
I should have
read the package better. They are already on Revolution. Thanks,
Victor.

Sherry

Old May 21st 07, 02:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On May 21, 2:59 am, "Joy" wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message

Sherry wrote:
[...]

Joy, I have used both. They're both effective. It used to be, about 5
years ago when I used to
use Frontline, that the only difference was that Frontline protected
against ticks also, and
Advantage didn't. I don't know if that is still the case.
I had one cat have a reaction to Frontline. He started drooling and
panting, and rolling frantically around on the carpet. I started
trying to wash it off, and pretty
soon the episode stopped. I changed to Advantage and never had a
problem with it.

I figured it was whatever they added to control ticks that caused it.
Our cats never did
get ticks anyway. I bet we have fleas and ticks in the yard this year
also, becuase of
so much rain and humidity.

Sherry

Sherry

Old May 21st 07, 04:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis

On Mon, 21 May 2007 00:59:41 -0700, "Joy"
wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Sherry wrote:
[...]

Advantage doesn't do ticks.

Advantage - fleas

Frontline Plus - fleas and ticks

Revolution - fleas, heartworm (Dirofilaria immitis), ear mites
(Otodectes cynotis), intestinal roundworm (Toxocara cati) and hookworm
(Ancylostoma tubaeforme).

My big problems are fleas and ticks (a couple of my cats like to spend
time in a tick farm - I remove several (dead and dying as well as
live) ticks a day from them) so Frontline Plus is my only real option.
It is also the least expensive when purchased in largest dog size
six-packs from one of the Australian vendors. I also have a tapeworm
problem, for which I use Valuecat Allwormer paste, also from an
Australian vendor.

--
T.E.D. ) Remove "gearbox.maem" to get real address - that one is dead
Old May 21st 07, 05:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Sherry wrote:

I figured it was whatever they added to control ticks that caused it.
Our cats never did
get ticks anyway. I bet we have fleas and ticks in the yard this year
also, becuase of
so much rain and humidity.

I don't know how ticks breed, but mosquitos need a pool of
stagnant water somewhere - the larvae hatch in water, and
look a bit like tadpoles (but their tails don't wriggle). I
remember once, as a kid, bringing home a whole jarful of
them, under the impression they WERE tadpoles (I'd never
seen a live tadpole, only pictures). I set the jar on a
windowsill and waited for the baby frogs to develop. (We
never saw any frogs, but we certainly had a houseful of
mosquitos in a very short time!)

Off Topic, perhaps Robert Berg Cat health & behaviour 4 September 3rd 06 08:51 PM
Almost on topic Adrian A Cat anecdotes 6 May 4th 06 08:50 PM
Allergy - Off topic or not? Hans Schrøder Cat anecdotes 3 July 26th 05 03:05 AM
Hopefully on topic Lots42 Cat anecdotes 9 May 12th 05 10:48 PM
It's on-topic because of #3 Duke of Url Cat anecdotes 1 December 28th 04 08:57 AM