OT - sp. - was Cat Protector at it again

Old March 7th 04, 06:32 AM
Marek Williams

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 17:09:24 -0500 (EST), dijo:

From:
(MarekĀ*Williams)

Can you do this to find products in hex?

What is hex?

Short for hexadecimal.

--
Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.

Old March 7th 04, 12:46 PM

Can you do this to find products in hex?

What is hex?

Short for hexadecimal.

There shouldn't be any problem as long as you know how to convert your
answer from one base to another.

Old March 8th 04, 08:59 PM
Cathy Friedmann

wrote in message
Cathy,
I'll have to remember 4x4

Well, 4x8 (Now, keep scrolling down...)

and 8x8. I have not heard those before.

I will try to explain the "handy" way to multiply with 6-10 factors. I
read it in Teacher magazine years ago.

*Start with your palms facing you, thumbs up

*Assign numbers to each finger:
Both thumbs - 6
Both pointers - 7
Both middles - 8
Both rings - 9
Both pinkies - 10

* If you want to do 6x8 touch the thumb (6) on one hand to the middle
(8) on the other hand...keep your palms facing you.

*The 2 fingers touching count as 10 each plus count as 10 each every
finger above the touching fingers. For 6x8 that would be a total of 40
so far.

*Now you multiply the remaining fingers on one hand times the remaining
fingers on the other hand (fingers below the touching fingers). For our
example that would be 2x4 which of course equals 8. Add that to the tens
and you get 48!

When you do 7x6:
fingers touching and above = 30;
fingers below - 4x3=12 ;
so 30+12=42

It is important to keep your palms facing you and that you don't turn
your hands around.

I hope this makes sense. Not all my 3rd graders get it but the ones that
do love it.

Yep; got it - although I admit I printed it out, then held the directions in
front of me while trying it out! That's cool, since I didn't know there
were any fingers tricks except for the 9's. Otoh, *I* have to be able to
remember the trick in order to teach it in class; this one, I think I'd have
to bring the printed-out directions w/ me. ;-)

I know that this has nothing to do with cats but I think I can justify
this post:
*I always have cats around when I'm doing schoolwork.
*The faster the children learn their math facts the more time I have to
spend with my cats.

Yep; that justification works. ;-) Assignments w/ correct answers are much
easier & quicker to grade than those w./ a ton of incorrect answers.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Michele
(N.C.)