D*g Calls 911

Old October 29th 04, 04:26 PM
Jeanne Hedge

Default D*g Calls 911

I wish there were kitty service animals who could do things like
this... Are there? Or are felines too independent to make good
service animals? (though the Power of Purr is a pretty good service in
and of itself)

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/10/29/can....ap/index.html

Dog saves woman's life by calling 911
Friday, October 29, 2004 Posted: 7:26 AM EDT (1126 GMT)

RICHLAND, Washington (AP) -- Leana Beasley has faith that a dog is
man's best friend.

Faith, a 4-year-old Rottweiler, phoned 911 when Beasley fell out of
her wheelchair and barked urgently into the receiver until a
dispatcher sent help. Then the service dog unlocked the front door for
the police officer.

"I sensed there was a problem on the other end of the 911 call," said
dispatcher Jenny Buchanan. "The dog was too persistent in barking
directly into the phone receiver. I knew she was trying to tell me
something."

Faith is trained to summon help by pushing a speed-dial button on the
phone with her nose after taking the receiver off the hook, said her
owner, Beasley, 45, who suffers grand mal seizures.

Guided by experts at the Assistance Dog Club of Puget Sound, Beasley
helped train Faith herself.

The day of the fall, Faith "had been acting very clingy, wanting to be
touching me all day long," Beasley said Thursday.

The dog, whose sensitive nose can detect changes in Beasley's body
chemistry, is trained to alert her owner to impending seizures.

But that wasn't what was happening on September 7, and Faith
apparently wasn't sure how to communicate the problem. During
Beasley's three-week hospital stay, doctors determined her liver was
not properly processing her seizure medication.

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

============
http://www.jhedge.com
Old October 29th 04, 04:49 PM
jmcquown

Jeanne Hedge wrote:
I wish there were kitty service animals who could do things like
this... Are there? Or are felines too independent to make good
service animals? (though the Power of Purr is a pretty good service in
and of itself)

(snippage)

I commend the dog, and the owner who trained the dog. However, I thought
all 911 calls have to be responded to regardless of who places them? I'm
not saying television is a good example, but what if, for example, I'd been
shot during a robbery and could drag myself to the phone but then couldn't
speak to the 911 operator? They are supposed to send help - police,
ambulance, whatever.

Persia doesn't know squat about a telephone. Others here talk about their
cats messing with their computers, erasing messages on the answering
machine, etc. Persia couldn't care less. She loves me, sure. But I doubt
seriously she'd pick up the phone if I were to collapse. She'd definitely
tap at me and lick my face or hands but that's about it (I think).

Jill

Old October 29th 04, 05:00 PM
Seanette Blaylock

"jmcquown" had some very interesting things
to say about D*g Calls 911:

I commend the dog, and the owner who trained the dog. However, I thought
all 911 calls have to be responded to regardless of who places them? I'm
not saying television is a good example, but what if, for example, I'd been
shot during a robbery and could drag myself to the phone but then couldn't
speak to the 911 operator? They are supposed to send help - police,
ambulance, whatever.

I'm not an expert [Bob M?], but I'm pretty sure that's the usual
practice, that police do respond to a 911 call where the caller either
hangs up suddenly or doesn't say anything.

Persia doesn't know squat about a telephone. Others here talk about their
cats messing with their computers, erasing messages on the answering
machine, etc. Persia couldn't care less. She loves me, sure. But I doubt
seriously she'd pick up the phone if I were to collapse. She'd definitely
tap at me and lick my face or hands but that's about it (I think).

I don't think Felix would even do that much unless I were blocking his
access to his dishes. :-)

Old October 30th 04, 01:08 AM
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Jeanne Hedge wrote:
I wish there were kitty service animals who could do things like
this... Are there? Or are felines too independent to make good
service animals?

Yes, because they are selfish. They are interested mostly in their own
comfort.
Dogs are different. They can be trained to do almost anything just for a
word of praise.
I am always amazed when I see a guide dog working when it takes it's owner
aside from something that might bump their head. It's nowhere near a threat
to the dog. They have learnt how high their owners are, and must protect
them from injury. Some years ago, going to meet my visually impaired friend
there was a lorry as she approached me. The dog knew me and she began to
wag her tail when she saw me, and not concentrate. However, she suddenly
noticed that the lorry had an open sort of top stable door, which could have
caused my friend to bang her head on it.
So, she stopped, and she sat down. This made it impossible for my friend to
move and get injured.
This was Jess, a labrador and one of the whitest ones I've ever seen.
She is long gone to RB, but..her life was spent in service to her hoomin,
and she actually enjoyed having a job to do.

Tweed