A d*g with a use

Old February 14th 05, 02:38 PM
Helen C Simmons

Default A d*g with a use

Waffles here. In the local mewspaper, there's an article about a d*g who
saved the life of a cat. Shows there's one d*g with a use, anyway.

http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/News/...A33%3A45%3A527

Purrs, Waffles

"Labrador saves cat from fire

14 February 2005 09:33

Super dog Jake already works all hours as his deaf owner's ears.

Now he has proved himself a lifesaver - for a cat.

Elderly cat Pineau had a narrow escape when she got stuck under a heat lamp
and it set her fur smouldering.

Jake averted disaster when he alerted owner Pam Willis to the cat's plight -
saving her life and winning himself a national award in the process.

Dentist Dr Willis, 47, is profoundly deaf and Jake, a chocolate labrador, is
her hearing dog.

These dogs are trained to alert their owners to everyday household sounds,
like the telephone, alarm clock or cooker timer going off, touching them
with a paw and leading them to the sound.

They will also warn their owners if a fire alarm is going off, nudging them
then lying down to indicate danger.

One day in October, Ms Willis, of Pulham Market, near Diss, had switched on
the heat lamp in a vivarium where she keeps her tortoise, Fluffy, in cold
weather.

Unbeknown to Ms Willis, it was into this that Pineau then crawled to warm
herself up.

But the cat got stuck and when her fur started to burn, it set off the fire
alarm.

It was then Jake sprang into action, placing a paw on Ms Willis and dropping
to the ground to indicate danger, as he had been trained.

After checking the kitchen, Ms Willis searched the house to find the source
of the danger - finding to her horror it was Pineau's smoking fur.

Ms Willis said: "If I hadn't have found her, I am sure she would have burned
as she had got herself wedged under the heat lamp.

"I had surrounded the heat lamp with bricks to hold the heat for Fluffy. She
had gone into the gap, but I am not sure she could have backed out without
arching her back and hitting the heat lamp," said Ms Willis, who works at
the Kinnear-King practice in Mount Street, Diss.

"I am proud of Jake for saving her."

Jake has been named Hearing Dog of the Month for February and will be put
forward for the Heroic Hearing Dog of the Year award at the end of the year.

Pineau, a rescue cat which Ms Willis has owned for 11 years, and Jake get on
fabulously, even sleeping together by the bed.

"I never wanted a hearing dog as I thought it was a disabled label, but the
hospital convinced me to go and meet the people at Hearing Dogs for Deaf
People.

"They were so professional and the dogs are fantastic.

"I was won over and didn't regret my decision for a minute," said Ms Willis.

Ms Willis, who went totally deaf five years ago and, even with an implant to
give her the sensation of hearing, struggles to differentiate between the
phone ringing or doorbell going.

For two years, Jake has helped her work out the difference.

"I lost my hearing as an adult and it was devastating and very isolating.
It's pretty grim, but I now have Jake and a cochlear implant or bionic ear,
so it is not the end of the world.

"Doorbells and telephones all sound the same, but I don't have to worry as
Jake is on to it before I have even thought about it."

Jake also helps at work, Ms Willis said: "I am so much more secure being at
work out of hours on my own.

"Before I had Jake, I would have to leave the door open for patients to come
in - now the door is locked and Jake tells me when the bell rings." "

Old February 15th 05, 01:46 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Helen C Simmons at
wrote on 2/14/05 8:38AM:

Waffles here. In the local mewspaper, there's an article about a d*g who
saved the life of a cat. Shows there's one d*g with a use, anyway.

http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/News/...ategory=News&t
Brand=edponline&tCategory=news&itemid=NOED14%20Feb %202005%2009%3A33%3A45%3A527

Purrs, Waffles

Lucky cat! Good doggie.

Old February 15th 05, 02:28 AM
Irulan

sweet story.
Jazz & his mama

--

Irulan
from the stars we come

Old February 15th 05, 11:30 AM
polonca12000

What an amazing d*ggie! He truly deserves his award!
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"Helen C Simmons" wrote in message
Waffles here. In the local mewspaper, there's an article about a d*g who
saved the life of a cat. Shows there's one d*g with a use, anyway.

http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/News/...A33%3A45%3A527

Purrs, Waffles

"Labrador saves cat from fire

14 February 2005 09:33