More quarantines

Old April 20th 07, 10:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Default More quarantines

CERES, Calif. - A Stanislaus County hog farm was placed under quarantine
after an industrial chemical that's tainted more than 100 brands of dog and
cat food was found in pig urine there, state agriculture officials said late
Thursday.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/4733635.html

Jill

Old April 20th 07, 11:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

"jmcquown" wrote in message
CERES, Calif. - A Stanislaus County hog farm was placed under quarantine
after an industrial chemical that's tainted more than 100 brands of dog
and
cat food was found in pig urine there, state agriculture officials said
late
Thursday.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/4733635.html

Jill

But before anyone panics, this is not a commercial pig farm. They sell
single pigs for Luau type parties.

Jo

Old April 20th 07, 11:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

jofirey wrote:

CERES, Calif. - A Stanislaus County hog farm was placed under quarantine
after an industrial chemical that's tainted more than 100 brands of dog
and cat food was found in pig urine there, state agriculture officials
said late Thursday.

But before anyone panics, this is not a commercial pig farm. They sell
single pigs for Luau type parties.

Don't panic unless you've attended a Luau lately.

Seriously, though - why would any animal that is being raised as food be
fed a toxic chemical that might remain in the meat?? And anyway, I'm not
sure it matters how many people are going to buy the meat. If people get
sick from it, I don't think that's acceptable. Your point about not panicking
is well-taken, though.

Joyce
Old April 21st 07, 05:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Apr 20, 8:01 pm, "Matthew" wrote:
"jofirey" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message
jofirey wrote:

CERES, Calif. - A Stanislaus County hog farm was placed under
quarantine after an industrial chemical that's tainted more than
100 brands of dog and cat food was found in pig urine there,
state agriculture officials said late Thursday.

But before anyone panics, this is not a commercial pig farm. They
sell single pigs for Luau type parties.

Don't panic unless you've attended a Luau lately.

Seriously, though - why would any animal that is being raised as food
be
fed a toxic chemical that might remain in the meat?? And anyway, I'm
not sure it matters how many people are going to buy the meat. If
people get sick from it, I don't think that's acceptable. Your point
about not panicking is well-taken, though.

Joyce

Where did I say panic?!

Sorry, I never meant to imply that you did.

I dread the day I can't even trust bacon.

And it isn't like I'd feel safe going back to the meatless protein sources
(ie gluten) I was raised on.

Jo

I am going back to the farm and start raising my own food again if this
keeps up. Nothing like getting your hands dirty to enjoy and take pride in
what you eat.- Hide quoted text -

Raising & canning/preserving vegetables/fruit is kind of fun. Even
extracting the honey every year I kind of enjoy. I'd have to draw the
line at meat though.
Sherry

Old April 21st 07, 07:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Debra

On 20 Apr 2007 21:10:04 -0700, Sherry wrote:

On Apr 20, 8:01 pm, "Matthew" wrote:

I am going back to the farm and start raising my own food again if this
keeps up. Nothing like getting your hands dirty to enjoy and take pride in
what you eat.- Hide quoted text -

Raising & canning/preserving vegetables/fruit is kind of fun. Even
extracting the honey every year I kind of enjoy. I'd have to draw the
line at meat though.
Sherry

Chickens are easy to raise--plucking them is hard to deal with.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old April 21st 07, 08:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

"Debra" wrote in message
news
On 20 Apr 2007 21:10:04 -0700, Sherry wrote:

On Apr 20, 8:01 pm, "Matthew" wrote:

I am going back to the farm and start raising my own food again if this
keeps up. Nothing like getting your hands dirty to enjoy and take pride
in
what you eat.- Hide quoted text -

Raising & canning/preserving vegetables/fruit is kind of fun. Even
extracting the honey every year I kind of enjoy. I'd have to draw the
line at meat though.
Sherry

Chickens are easy to raise--plucking them is hard to deal with.

I was quite surprised at how easy it was to clean some pheasants a friend
shot. Come the revolution, I figure if I'm willing and able to clean and
cook them, I'll be able to find someone to kill them.

Jo

Old April 21st 07, 08:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

jofirey wrote:

I was quite surprised at how easy it was to clean some pheasants a friend
shot. Come the revolution, I figure if I'm willing and able to clean and
cook them, I'll be able to find someone to kill them.

LOL. I'm sure I'd be upset and grossed-out if I had to kill a chicken.
But if I had to do it to survive, I think that I'd get over that after
a while. It's amazing what you can find the guts (so to speak) to do
when you have to!

Joyce