Another Hartz poisining

Old August 22nd 03, 01:33 PM
Cheryl

"Sherry " wrote in message

Is that what Advantix is? I thought it was just the same Advantage

formula,
with an additive that kills ticks. Isn't it for dogs, too? (Our cats just
never seem to get ticks, but the dog does. Go figure)

Sherry

K9 Advantix is just for dogs; there is a pesticide in it that is very toxic
to cats, so dogs who live with cats shouldn't even be treated with it.
There is a really nasty thread about a tick infestation in
alt.med.veterinary that will make your skin crawl. I learned a lot from
reading it. The thread is called "please help ID tiny external parasite"
(very long thread).

Old August 22nd 03, 04:24 PM
Sherry

K9 Advantix is just for dogs; there is a pesticide in it that is very toxic
to cats, so dogs who live with cats shouldn't even be treated with it.

Thanks, Cheryl. I had heard of Adavntax, but really hadn't researched to find
out exactly what it was. We've been really happy with Advantage for the cats,
and Frontline for the dogs, so I hadn't bothered to check it out. Sounds like
bad stuff.

Sherry

Old August 22nd 03, 08:55 PM
Cate

"kaeli" wrote in message

That's very true, at least according to the literature in the box. Not
contact with the dog, but contact with the part of the dog's fur that
has the Advantix on it. Since Advantix is topical, it is easy for a cat
to rub the dog, then lick themselves. Also, some cats like the dog
enough to groom it.

Exactly. That's what the directions say, and that's what my vet said. I have
both a cat and a dog, and my vet says it's ok for me to use Advantix (which
I just did, two days ago).

Doesn't hurt that my cat and my dog hate each other and are never in the
same room. Much less *grooming* each other. g

Cate

Old August 23rd 03, 05:49 PM
Cate

"Cheryl" wrote in message
s.com...

K9 Advantix is just for dogs; there is a pesticide in it that is very

toxic
to cats, so dogs who live with cats shouldn't even be treated with it.

Actually, according to my vet and according to the directions on the box, it
is ok if to use on a dog if there are cats in the house, as long as the cats
don't groom the dog.

There is a really nasty thread about a tick infestation in
alt.med.veterinary that will make your skin crawl. I learned a lot from
reading it. The thread is called "please help ID tiny external parasite"
(very long thread).

Hey, that's my thread! g The ticks seem to all be gone now. knock wood

And I'll give a two-sentence synopsis for those here who don't want to read
it:

1000-3000 'seed' or baby ticks can hatch from one adult tick--in your house.
They did in mine.

Cate

Old August 26th 03, 04:01 PM
Dennis Carr

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 08:35:12 -0700, Jason wrote:

When I awoke my kitten was in full body spasms and could'nt ambulate
at all. His eyes were also fully dilated and twitching, I immediately
called the vet who advised me to wash the cat with mild soap and lots
of water and bring it in.

Your vet is right, kitty *is* lucky. We tried that a couple of times
over here - our mongrels had no problems, but it nearly killed one of our
bengals.

--
Dennis Carr - | I may be out of my mind,
http://www.dennis.furtopia.org | But I have more fun that way.