purrs for kyla

Old December 4th 09, 05:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

Default French

hopitus wrote:

I wasn't raised on that combo either, except for white bread, and as
an adult I
discovered that multi-grain, dark heavy bread *tastes* so much richer
and
satisfying, that's why I eat it instead, now, not just because it is
way more
nourishing and fiber-full.The childhood memories can work both ways,
Cheryl.
We ate lotsa bologna sandwiches growing up, and just the sight of it
now
evokes an inner gag.....

It certainly can work both ways! It's astonishing how strong the
reaction can be (either positive or negative) decades after the positive
association with white bread or a negative one with bologna was set up!
I wonder if it's because the sense of taste is closely connected with
the scent of smell? I've read that smells can easily trigger strong
memories.

Aside from the toast, I grew up with good homemade bread, and although I
too now prefer whole grain or multigrain loafs with lots of chewing to
it, there's nothing like crusty homemade white bread, warm from the oven
and slathered with butter.

--
Cheryl
Old December 4th 09, 09:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Cheryl wrote:

Some people also have a weakness for things they liked when they were
young. I expect that's why so many people - even adults - are
sentimental about and fond of peanut butter and jam sandwiches on Wonder
Bread, so they sometimes eat it as adults and also feed them to their
own children.

I never ate them as a child, and never developed a liking for them, so I
was in no danger of eating them as an adult!

I grew up on stuff like that - canned soups, frozen veggies, instant
rice, PB&J on Wonder Bread. Plus, all those junky snacks like Ring Dings,
Funny Bones, Twinkies, etc (see below for explanations).

As an adult, I *thought* I had that sentimental attachment to childhood
foods, but whenever I would eat one of them, I discovered that it tasted
terrible. Either manufacturing standards had gone way downhill, or my
tastes had changed. I sure hope it's the latter!! How much further down
can the standards *go*, anyway?

Ring Dings: A round chocolate cake with whipped cream filling, then
dipped in chocolate covering.

Funny Bones: Rectangular chocolate cake with peanut butter filling,
dipped in chocolate.

Twinkies: Most people know what Twinkies are, don't they?

It probably goes without saying that I'm using the words "cake",
"whipped cream" and "peanut butter" very loosely.

Joyce

--
Seen on a T-shirt:

If At First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Isn't For You
Old December 4th 09, 09:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

hopitus wrote:

I wasn't raised on that combo either, except for white bread, and as
an adult I
discovered that multi-grain, dark heavy bread *tastes* so much richer
and
satisfying, that's why I eat it instead, now, not just because it is
way more nourishing and fiber-full.

Apparently, Russians who emigrate to the United States are horrified by
what we call "bread". Even the multi-grain stuff. I remember sitting in
the cafeteria at work with a bunch of workmates, while one co-worker,
a Russian immigrant, ranted that "THIS IS NOT BREAD" while holding up
a slice from his tray. A good friend who's also Russian confirms this
attitude. I've gotta find a Russian bakery.

When I go to the store, I pick bread not just for the ingredients list,
but also for how dense it feels when I (*gently*) press down on the
loaf. If it has too much give, it stays on the shelf.

Joyce

Old December 6th 09, 03:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Dec 2, 11:45*am, Jack Campin - bogus address
wrote:
.. *The leading British
brand of that sort of bread is (or was) "Mother's Pride".

Still around in London anyway along with "Sunblest", which is
identically awful although it tastes better toasted. My mother always
said any mother who fed her kids "Mothers Pride" didn't have any
pride.

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old December 6th 09, 04:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Dec 3, 6:26*pm, Mishi wrote:

a favourite of mine was Wonder Bread with butter and sugar on it. YUM!-

Sugar sandwiches! Oh YES!

A while back me and a friend called Gareth were talking about all the
things we loved when we were kids, sugar sandwiches, deep fried cod
balls, sweet tobacco and after he'd rhapodised about deep fried spam
fritters he said "Why don't we eat these things now?"

My reply was along the lines of "We're more wise about food nowadays
and anyway our arteries couldn't stand the strain"

Old December 6th 09, 04:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Dec 4, 9:09*am, Cheryl wrote:
there's nothing like crusty homemade white bread, warm from the oven
* and slathered with butter.

When I was a kid there was a bakery about half a mile away that baked
on the premises and on a Saturday one of us would be sent down there
to get a "seeded crusty bloomer" and if you got there early enough it
would be warm from the oven and you'd dash home before it got cool and
mum would reward whoever had run the errand with the "Topper"(The
first slice with the crust all over it- don't know the proper name for
it) heavily buttered....Nectar!

Old December 6th 09, 04:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Lesley wrote:
On Dec 4, 9:09 am, Cheryl wrote:
there's nothing like crusty homemade white bread, warm from the oven
and slathered with butter.

When I was a kid there was a bakery about half a mile away that baked
on the premises and on a Saturday one of us would be sent down there
to get a "seeded crusty bloomer" and if you got there early enough it
would be warm from the oven and you'd dash home before it got cool and
mum would reward whoever had run the errand with the "Topper"(The
first slice with the crust all over it- don't know the proper name for
it) heavily buttered....Nectar!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

You're making me feel hungry.
--
Adrian
Old December 6th 09, 04:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

Lesley wrote:
On Dec 4, 9:09 am, Cheryl wrote:
there's nothing like crusty homemade white bread, warm from the oven
and slathered with butter.

When I was a kid there was a bakery about half a mile away that baked
on the premises and on a Saturday one of us would be sent down there
to get a "seeded crusty bloomer" and if you got there early enough it
would be warm from the oven and you'd dash home before it got cool and
mum would reward whoever had run the errand with the "Topper"(The
first slice with the crust all over it- don't know the proper name for
it) heavily buttered....Nectar!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

There's a tiny bakery around the corner from my place where they bake an
astonishing range of bread on the premises. I'm trying not to get in the
habit of going there because it's a bit expensive, and besides, the
bread gets eated a LOT faster than the regular supermarket bread I buy.
Once in a very long while, if I'm not working in the morning, I'll run
over and get some rolls or something. At that hour, they don't have
their full run out of the oven, but they'll have some of the smaller
ones done, and still warm.

They've got a schedule of which breads they bake which days, and they
sell out fast. It's all lovely crusty stuff. THe raisin bread is one of
my particular favourites, but the Belgian and whole wheat loafs are nice
too. There's one I've been wanting to try - it's got a lot of rye, and I
love rye breads - but haven't yet. It's nearly $5 a loaf!

We've got snow moving in, but nevertheless a concert I'm singing in is
going ahead (I just logged on to check) and my group has been assigned
sandwiches for the after-concert reception. I don't know what they'll
make of it, but I've got my regular bread (whole wheat 12 grain, this
week) and some spicy salami. I think a bit of strong mustard might go
well. It sounds good to me, but sometimes people at these events want
white bread and egg salad or something equally bland. OTOH, most of the
people involved in this are young...does that make them more or less
conservative when it comes to food?

Oh, well, since I don't intend to start making egg salad or tuna(and
never have mayonnaise in the house anyway), salami and whole wheat it is.

--
Cheryl
Old December 6th 09, 04:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Lesley" wrote in message
On Dec 4, 9:09 am, Cheryl wrote:
there's nothing like crusty homemade white bread, warm from the oven
and slathered with butter.

When I was a kid there was a bakery about half a mile away that baked
on the premises and on a Saturday one of us would be sent down there
to get a "seeded crusty bloomer" and if you got there early enough it
would be warm from the oven and you'd dash home before it got cool
and
mum would reward whoever had run the errand with the "Topper"(The
first slice with the crust all over it- don't know the proper name
for
it) heavily buttered....Nectar!

Lesley

Here that would be the heel of the loaf of bread. Usually left until
last on sliced bread as it keeps the rest fresh. Or just plain left.

But lest anyone think Americans aren't familiar with good bread or
don't appreciate it. I'm not the only one who's grandmother baked
bread nearly every day of her adult life. She was an amazing cook.
Lived on top of a mountain and usually didn't have access to fresh
milk. I can still make the worlds best apple pie, though I've never
been able to put one in the oven from scratch in less then twenty
minutes like she did.

When we were first married Charlie worked in the Pentagon. They have
a bakery on the premises, as well as a lot of other shops you would
expect in a city its size. They make a different rye bread every day
of the week. Wonderful, unsliced if that was what you preferred, rye
bread. It didn't matter that it took me a while to get the hang of
cooking, we could have lived off that alone.

Jo

Ping Kyla Granby Cat community 9 September 26th 08 01:28 PM
Ping Kyla Granby Cat anecdotes 8 September 2nd 08 10:31 PM
Ping Kyla Granby Cat community 7 August 23rd 08 07:45 PM
Kyla John Ross Mc Master Cat community 1 August 22nd 08 07:05 PM
Kyla Granby Cat anecdotes 4 February 4th 08 11:08 PM