Strange Kneading Behavior

Old December 19th 03, 01:34 AM
GovtLawyer

Default Strange Kneading Behavior

My 10 month old Snowshoe Siamese, Mickey, has a very strange kneading
behaviour. I understand what kneading is, but his variation is something I
have never seen in any of my former cats. BTW, he lives in my aprtment with
his sister, Daisy. Also, he was neutered shortly after he turned 4 months.

Every morning, starting at around 6 AM, while on top of my quilt, he goes down
to my left foot and starts to knead. He works his way up my left leg, makes a
u-turn at my abdoman, and goes down my right leg to my right foot. He does
this for at least 15 or 20 minutes, and sometimes comes back a bit later for
another go around. Sometimes he stays on the feet for a long time.

Here is where his behaviour really gets weird. He not only kneads with his
front paws, but he thumps his rear legs at times during the process. His
thumping reminds me of a rabbit or the things cats do just before they're ready
to leap somewhere. I've thought that he may actually be "humping" my feet,
which would be odd for a spayed cat. I am also looking to see if he sprays,
and thankfully he doesn't (he leaves nothing wet in this process, nor is there
the telltale smell). However, his kneading is more intense than any other cat
I have ever had. His mother was a rescued cat, but he was born in captivity
and not taken from his mother, along with Daisy, until he was 12 weeks.

So, has anyone ever heard of this kind of kneading?

BTW, he is one of the smartest and gentlest loving cats I have ever had.
Old December 19th 03, 02:01 AM
Mary

So, has anyone ever heard of this kind of kneading?

Send him over to my house, I could use a massage ;-)

I had a cat who would bunch up my robe in a ball and knead it with his front
paws while kind of marching slowly with his back feet in place. He seemed to
enjoy it so I just let him do it though sometimes I wondered if he wasn't
having his "way" with the robe.

Old December 19th 03, 02:18 AM
GovtLawyer

I had a cat who would bunch up my robe in a ball and knead it with his front
paws while kind of marching slowly with his back feet in place. He seemed to
enjoy it so I just let him do it though sometimes I wondered if he wasn't
having his "way" with the robe.

Sounds like what Mickey is doing. I wondered if he was having his way with my
feet. It does feel really strange, in a nice kinda way. Now, if I could only
get him to wait until around 8 AM, and even do it on command.

Old December 19th 03, 02:59 AM
Dennis Carr

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 01:34:22 +0000, GovtLawyer wrote:

Every morning, starting at around 6 AM, while on top of my quilt, he goes down
to my left foot and starts to knead. He works his way up my left leg, makes a
u-turn at my abdoman, and goes down my right leg to my right foot. He does
this for at least 15 or 20 minutes, and sometimes comes back a bit later for
another go around. Sometimes he stays on the feet for a long time.

Awwww, he loves your legs and feet. =^^=

One of our girls - Snape - would do something simiar when she was a kitten
- but she would come up to our face, knead similarly, and periodically
give a silent meow. The thing about her kneading though was that she
would lift her paws completely off of the chest of whomever she was doing
this to, and seemed to do this only if the local jazz station was playing.

We just got to the point where we figured she was dancing.

--
Dennis Carr - | I may be out of my mind,
http://www.dennis.furtopia.org | But I have more fun that way.

Old December 19th 03, 06:03 AM
Sherry

I had a cat who would bunch up my robe in a ball and knead it with his
front
paws while kind of marching slowly with his back feet in place. He seemed

enjoy it so I just let him do it though sometimes I wondered if he wasn't

Yoda does this. It's kind of a ritual, and it's usually with a "throw" or
blanket. When you see him doing that, you know he's settling down for a good,
long nap and will be there for hours.

Sherry

Old December 21st 03, 09:56 PM
Governor George Liquor

"GovtLawyer" wrote in message
So, has anyone ever heard of this kind of kneading?

Rizzo gives me a back rub when he wants me to wake up. If I'm laying flat
on my stomach, he'll methodically work his way up and down my spine and
across my shoulders. Since his paws are usually very warm, it's like a
heated massage! It's scary how well he does it sometimes.