Neutered cat and kneading..have questions..

Old September 19th 04, 08:08 AM

Default Neutered cat and kneading..have questions..

I recently adopted a 2 year old tabby mix from the local Animal Rescue
League. He is a great little guy and is fitting in well with my four
year old tabby male.

I noticed the other night as he was getting ready to bed down that he
was kneading an area around my calf, which to me wasn't unusual, but
then the little fella started to strangely move his back legs... It
only took a nano-second to realize what he was doing (humping) and I
gently pushed him away.

He has done this another one or two times and this brings about some
questions:

He's neutered...I have never seen this behavior in a neutered cat in all
my years of owning cats..has anyone here?

How can I modify his behavior so that this stops, without alienating
him? I don't want him to think I don't want him around...

meaningful appropriate suggestions are welcome...

Thanks...

Old September 19th 04, 06:59 PM
MacCandace

He's neutered...I have never seen this behavior in a neutered cat in all
my years of owning cats..has anyone here?

How can I modify his behavior so that this stops, without alienating
him? I don't want him to think I don't want him around...

I haven't had one who does the humping although I have read about others who do
here on this newsgroup. I think most of them just give the little guy a
stuffed animal or blankie of his own to hump when the urge strikes. Maybe you
could just distract him when he starts by dangling a toy in front of him? (I
was going to say maybe you could just play with him when he starts but realized
that might be misinterpreted as an X-rated suggestion.)

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)

Old September 19th 04, 07:20 PM
bluemaxx

I hope someone can answer you because I've been meaning to post the same
question. My guy *just started doing something like this about 3 weeks
ago and he's been a member of the house for about 4 years now!

He'll jump up on me when I'm laying down and knead me with his front
feet, but he'll also knead my legs with his back feet. He hunches up
his back really high, keeps his tail down and quivers his back end once
in awhile. Is this humping behavior??? No other cat I've owned has
ever done this.

I hate to push him away because he's been very slow to accept physical
affection. And when I do gently push him away, he'll just start up
again in another spot on my legs. :\

Linda

:
[...]

---