tried everything for Yowling

Old September 21st 03, 08:53 AM
Ensoul100

Default tried everything for Yowling

its not new, but it's worse

I have used feliway

gotten new toys and rotate them, play with her several times a day,,,making
sure to do longer session in evening

she's always feed before we go bed, has both dry and canned food & fresh water

Sam is given lots of loving

keep a light and a radio all night, mind you we live in small one floor 2 bdrm
apartment
she can go outside on the balcony as she pleases, but no outside at all

I have ignored it

I have thrown things at her and yelled NO (I never hit her with an object)
she's not close enough to use the water bottle thing

I'll call her into bedroom give her some loving, she settles at the end bed for
a few hrs...takes off and it begins all over again

Sam is 13 or 14, spayed...still very active

healthy, she eats well, coat is great shape, litter box no problems, curoius as
hell
friendly

but the damn yowling...I've never heard a cat louder...she sounds like she's in
heat and yowling into a megaphone

does it on and off during the day

its the night time thing....as in every night we get waken up several times

live in rural area there only 3 vets....all want total payment up front
I have posted before....SPCA says there are no programs to help w/Vet unless
animal is severally sick as in life threatning

are income is very limited, hubby on SSI due to cancer
living with the yowling....he truly needs his sleep as do I

at my wits end, love her dearly but need sleep

the neighbors have even complained....since goes out on the balcony and yowls!

ensoul

He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered
whose it was and whether they were enjoying it
~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Old September 21st 03, 10:25 AM
Jeff Smithpeters

Is there a way to sedate her at night? Or keep her awake during the day
so that her sleep cycle kicks in when yours does?

Old September 21st 03, 01:16 PM
Karen

in article , Ensoul100 at
wrote on 9/21/03 2:53 AM:

[...]

Has she always done this? If so, it is probably not medical. Does she
dislike the vacuum? If so, put a vacuum next to your bed for a few nights.
Rig it up to plug in to start. If she begins to yowl, turn it on and then
off. If she makes the association, she should stop. Another suggestion, get
earplugs.

Karen

Old September 21st 03, 04:46 PM

You should have your cat checked to see if she is hyperthyroid. I know
you said your income is limited, but it needs to be ruled out. Maybe a
friend/family member will help you with a loan. Having a credit card set
aside to use just for vet bills would probably be a good idea so you
have an option if faced with an emergency. Yowling is a classic symptom
of hyperthyroid and your cat is in the age range for developing this
disease. The fact that it is getting worse makes me suspect that that is
what is going on. If she does have it it can be controlled with
medication.
Also, throwing shoes at your cat and squirting her won't help and is
mean.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke