Yowling

Old September 24th 06, 06:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Vinnie34

Default Yowling

I adopted a 6 yr. old nutered male cat 6 mths ago who from day one yowls at
night.
I've taken his to the vet, tried ALL suggestions, but each night between 2:00
am and 5:00am when I get up he yowls...Help!

Old September 25th 06, 06:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kenda

try umm staying in bed until you wnat to get up and maybe adapting his
yowling to a different time..basically ignore him until say the time
you are up for the day say in my case its about 5 in the morning. Feed
him when you get up everymorning and right before you go to bed at
night...I have an alarm clock cat too of course I want him to be that
way...and it can be rather irritating not to mention a noise nuisance
if you live in an apartment...also make sure that you scoop his/her
litter box every night before going to bed and see if htat helps...you
could even set an alarm that gets you up at the same time each day and
feed him only ater the alarm goes off and see if he starts to associate
the alarm clock wtih the time he's suppose to yowl..and if you feed him
immediately..it just might quiet him down...ignore and modify ignore
and modify..-Kenda

Old September 26th 06, 11:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
boot

Vinnie34 wrote:
I adopted a 6 yr. old nutered male cat 6 mths ago who from day one yowls at
night.
I've taken his to the vet, tried ALL suggestions, but each night between 2:00
am and 5:00am when I get up he yowls...Help!

I read recently that someone who researched why cats meow determined it
was for attention.

I have a yowly half siamese cat. She quiets down if I pick her up and
carry her around the house for a bit, so it seems like she does need
some cuddly type attention.

She also gets very loud about having a can of Fancy Feast once a day.
they are such creatures of habit, so if he yowls when you are getting
up, he is probably trying to start off your day together with some
togetherness, some bonding. Have you tried picking him up at 2 and
suffocating him with some lovin? Then maybe he will let you go back to
bed.

I'm a day sleeper, so my cats have adapted well to that.

Hey, good luck! Carol

Old September 26th 06, 03:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
meeee

"Vinnie34" u27063@uwe wrote in message news:66c7bbff6a41d@uwe...
I adopted a 6 yr. old nutered male cat 6 mths ago who from day one yowls at
night.
I've taken his to the vet, tried ALL suggestions, but each night between
2:00
am and 5:00am when I get up he yowls...Help!

I have a yowler. Be aware that it takes up to 1 year for the hormones to
disappear fully from a cat's body, so if he was only recently neutered he
may still be having 'urges'. Nothing worked on mine except steadfastly
ignoring him. I tried moving him to an outside pen at night, giving him
attention, food. Nothing worked. He still yowls if I get up at night, but I
turn the lights off again immediately and don't even talk to him or look at
him (he has his own 'bedroom' with the other cats) and he stops again. Mind
you it took about 2 weeks to 'break the habit' for him, and the only way was
to refuse to reward the yowling with attention. Be strong!! Buy earplugs!!
Give it 2 weeks....and make sure he gets sufficient daytime attention so he
doesn't feel needy at night.

Old September 27th 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Vinnie34 via CatKB.com

meeee wrote:
[...]

Thank you for all the helpful info, I do belive he was neutered just before I
adopted him and do think he yowls all night for attention or loneliness
because he quiets down when I bring him to bed with me, but gets up again
after a while and starts in again, ignoring it is all I can do, but would
love to get a full nights sleep....whish me luck

Old September 27th 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
meeee

"Vinnie34 via CatKB.com" u27063@uwe wrote in message
meeee wrote:
[...]

Good luck, I would advise not allowing him to sleep with you at this stage
as he will not sleep through, but will wake periodically to yowl. I know it
is hard, but shut him away from you, and don't even talk to him or open the
door when he yowls; this is teaching him that by yowling he gets what he
wants (your attention).Keep in mind that he doesn't need your attention he
just wants it. It is not too late to train him; if you train him to yowl
every time he wants something he will never stop. But if you train him that
things happen at a certain time, regardless of his yowling, eg you pat him
after you get up at 7am and not before, no matter how much he yowls, then he
will soon stop. Right now he thinks that the minute he yowls you come
running. This is not what you want him to think. You want him to think that
every morning, at 7am AND NOT BEFORE you get up and lavish attention on him
(or whatever time you choose). Most importantly do not respond to the yowls,
no matter how heartbreaking they may be. Tell yourself that he doesn't
'need' cuddles right now, he needs cuddles regularly, but he won't be
psychologically damaged or doubt you if you don't cuddle him the minute he
yowls. Instead he will learn that behaving anti socially is fine and you
will put up with it. Cats like routine, and the sooner you make him aware of
your routine, he will feel a lot more secure, knowing that at x am you will
get up and feed/pat him. This will decrease his anxiety and also the
yowling. Sorry if this is over-long and convoluted but I hoep it helps.
Good luck

Old September 27th 06, 04:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
boot

meeee wrote:
[...]

Right on! I realized after reading your solution that what I suggested
would have established a routine for the cat to yowl at 2 a.m. every
day. Routine is everything with a cat. \\\\{^.".^}}~///// (cat in
grass)

Old September 27th 06, 05:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
chili palmer

Vinnie34 wrote:
I adopted a 6 yr. old nutered male cat 6 mths ago who from day one yowls at
night.
I've taken his to the vet, tried ALL suggestions, but each night between 2:00
am and 5:00am when I get up he yowls...Help!

can't you just put that look of shame on him? no you cannot, you're
pussy whipped

look, i hate to be ugly about this, i really want to help.. but you're
gonna have to pretend that you are going to **** the cat up

just pretend

they like that

get you a couple of cans of green beans or cans of corn

when he yowls.. go upside the wall, or the door, or the floor with the
green beans or corn!

if that don't break him, get a broom and come down beside him..

WHAM!

I TOLD YOU MUTHER****ER YOU AINT' GONNA RUN THIS ****ING HOUSE!!!

WHAM! WHAM! WHAM!
(chase him with it)...

make him go under the bed...
he'll stop

Old September 27th 06, 06:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
meeee

"boot" wrote in message
ps.com...

meeee wrote:
[...]

And don't I know it....(currently trying to retrain female cat not to
scratch doors for attention....worse than yowling believe me!!) and I like
your 'cat in grass' thing, I am never smart enough to figure out how to make
those thingys.

yowling cat stopped yowling yepp Cat anecdotes 4 August 22nd 06 10:38 PM
Yowling? Yowie Cat anecdotes 20 December 2nd 05 10:41 PM
Yowling? Yowie Cat anecdotes 4 December 2nd 05 10:34 PM
Male cat yowling Steve Cat health & behaviour 11 June 8th 05 03:34 AM
tried everything for Yowling Ensoul100 Cat health & behaviour 33 September 22nd 03 06:13 AM