Yay, Kitty Klips

Old June 27th 04, 10:34 PM
jamie

Default Yay, Kitty Klips

My senior kittizens are too old to climb the 6-foot privacy (plank)
fence that surrounds their area of the yard, but I've had a problem
with a couple of new young toms in the neighborhood jumping in
to bother them. Since the supporting posts are on the inside, I
only needed to install Kitty Klips along the top edge to keep the
intruders out. (http://www.kittyklips.com)

Instead of 4" PVC pipe, I was able to find some black corrugated
plastic drain pipe at Home Depot that was only about $2.50 per 10 feet.
This was thin enough to slit with a household scissors, instead of
needing a saw. It's also flexible enough that I didn't need to cut
a separate piece, or form a cut-away, around the hinge area for the
gate section, which is rarely but occasionally opened. (And the black
corrugated isn't nearly as ugly on the old, weathered-grey fence that
the white PVC pipe would have been.)

The Kitty Klips have been in place for a few weeks now, and I haven't
seen an intruder since. I think I might have heard them attempt and
slip off a few times, though.

--
jamie )

"There's a seeker born every minute."

Old June 28th 04, 01:25 AM
Mary

only needed to install Kitty Klips along the top edge to keep the
intruders out. (http://www.kittyklips.com)

This sounds just like the coyote roller fence. http://coyoteroller.com/ I
wonder if it would keep raccoons, opossums, squirrels out (or in)?

Old June 28th 04, 10:26 PM
jamie

Mary wrote:
only needed to install Kitty Klips along the top edge to keep the
intruders out. (http://www.kittyklips.com)

This sounds just like the coyote roller fence. http://coyoteroller.com/ I
wonder if it would keep raccoons, opossums, squirrels out (or in)?

I don't have any raccoons, opossums or squirrels in my immediate area,
so I don't know if they would work for that. I suspect they probably
would work for raccoons and possums, because they seemed to be about
large cat size where I used to live. Squirrels might be able to
climb the fence planks themselves and still get over the drain
pipe on the top, just as I've seen them climb birdfeeder poles.

I guess something as large as a coyote, which could hang its whole
paw over top of the fence would need the roller action, whereas the
cats only need something rounded on the top that their claws can't
grab into. The plastic corrugated drain pipe (looks something like an
oversized black vacuum cleaner hose) was so easy and cheap a solution,
I wish I'd heard of the KittyKlips sooner.

Most of the time, my cats and I only saw the invaders from the window,
when they were inside, but a few times they came over when my cats
were out, and I chased them with the hose sprayer. Gideon (17 yrs,
Maine coon) is so hairy and sheddy that when young invading tomcat came
at him the one time, fortunately all he got was mouthfuls of hair,
and slobber on Gideon's fur (good thing I hadn't had him lion cut),
but it had intimidated him from spending as much time in his yard
as he always liked. He's seemed nervous about staying out when I'm
not out there, but wants to just do a quick patrol of his space.
Three or four weeks now without any invasions, and I think he's
starting to relax more like his old self before the invasions, and
lie in his grass.

Old June 28th 04, 10:39 PM
Sharon Talbert

I have bookmarked Coyote Roller and will look into it. Meanwhile, another
excellent commercial product is Cat-Fence-In, which keeps pets in and
pests out (the combo model). Though, I must say, Cat-Fence-In didn't hold
up to determined raccoons when we used our cat-proofed backyard to house a
feral cat who had to be fed in the enclosure. Even with her food enclosed
in a feeding station, the raccoons detected it and beat their way in to
mooch.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus CAts

My 24 hour kitty O J Cat anecdotes 39 August 20th 04 10:23 AM
A Gift from Mai Kitty David Cat anecdotes 20 May 2nd 04 09:50 PM
Yu noze, I furgotz tu tellz yurownselfz abowt da TROODUR KITTY... Amelia T Cat Cat community 6 February 28th 04 11:13 AM