[OT] "Pittsburg Burnt"

Old October 3rd 05, 04:13 AM
Kreisleriana

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 09:45:20 -0400, "Howard C. Berkowitz"
yodeled:

In article , Norm
wrote:

Yowie wrote:

Can anyone explain what "Pittsburg Burnt" actually means or how it got
its
name?

Since I don't know what I'm talking about I'll give it a stab, heh.
Pittsburgh is/was a steel town so if you smelt a steak :-) it's bound to
be well-done. Norm

PS: To put the food topic back in Oz I once ordered mutton rare in a
favorite NYC restaurant and it came medium/well. I sent it back with
misgivings and, sure enough, the next one was raw. I suffered it and
haven't been back.

I also fight the battle of getting meat truly well done.

Still, I had a NYC anecdote that, in a weird way, puts ordering to taste
in perspective. It was a classic Mexican (i.e., not Tex-Mex, a separate
cuisine) restaurant, which did range widely on its appetizer page. One
item was "genuine American nachos, adapted for the Mexican palate.".

Reminds me of the commercial with the cowboys who were indignant
because their salsa was made in "Noo Yorrrrk City."

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old October 3rd 05, 12:27 PM
Victor Martinez

Howard C. Berkowitz wrote:
Still, I had a NYC anecdote that, in a weird way, puts ordering to taste
in perspective. It was a classic Mexican (i.e., not Tex-Mex, a separate
cuisine) restaurant, which did range widely on its appetizer page. One
item was "genuine American nachos, adapted for the Mexican palate.".

People get really surprised when I tell them that nachos are an american
invention.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old October 3rd 05, 03:36 PM
Azy

~~Frankly, you haven't done hot until you've either had suicide wings
(I'll see if I can find a recipe that'll make smoke curl out of your
ears)~~

You know, I don't think I've ever had a 'wing' that I like. None ever
seem to have just the right flavour. I pretty well have to make my own
barbeque sauce, or it's just right out annoying.

~~or you've gone to an Indian joint run by Punjabis and tell them to
"make it like you'd fix it at home."~~

I've known and worked with many Punjabis, and I've never seen them
suffer from want of spice. I used to covet their double hot and sweet
red curries until I finally asked for the recipe. The woman I worked
with, Raj, watered down the recipe; so when I told her that I had to
double the peppers in the curry past, she nearly fell on the floor.
When she apologised she gave the most hilarious reason: She didn't want
me to think she'd poisoned me.

~~Alternatively, we knew we were regulars at a Thai restaurant when the
server would say, "we know how you want it. How hot should we make it
for the American?"~~

I grew up in the Eight Mile/John R area in Detroit, but up at Eleven
and John R there was a Thai restaurant that we would walk to. My
friends couldn't even walk in the door without coughing. ::grin:: I
have to say, though, their double hot sweet red curries have nothing on
the Indians in the flavour department. They've got the heat, but the
flavour is just okay. Give me good flavour and half the heat any day'a
the week over just hot and bland.

Azy!

"Unfortunately, I once roomed with a cocker spaniel, and she left a
terrible impression of dogs with whomever she met. Her breath was
terrible, she reeked of sebaceous oils, she chewed her haunches
fanatically, and she was a pathological liar. I learnt quite a few
lessons living with her. Firstly, never lay behind a dog who's just
dined heavily from the rubbish bin. Secondly, never leave kibble for
later if there's a dog about. And, most importantly, never, never trust
a cocker spaniel in a balaclava no matter what they tell you." ~~W.C.
Humphries II ( http://housecatwisdom.blogspot.com/ )

6 channels [OT] David Stevenson Cat anecdotes 44 November 23rd 04 03:58 AM
[OT] Happy IVGLDSWD! CatNipped Cat anecdotes 6 November 22nd 04 12:11 PM
[OT] Finally! Yowie Cat anecdotes 6 November 20th 04 11:14 PM
[OT] Slang Help Wanted Jeanne Hedge Cat anecdotes 20 November 13th 04 04:35 PM
[OT] Travel to Australia Jeanne Hedge Cat anecdotes 0 November 5th 04 02:15 AM