Kinda Ot - Vacuum advice

Old November 8th 04, 08:50 PM
KellyH

Default Kinda Ot - Vacuum advice

I really, really want to get a Dyson and I'm wondering if the expense is
worth it. Right now, we have a cheap (~$150) Dirt Devil Breeze purchased a
few years ago and it is just not cutting it.
The house is a multi-level townhouse with old wall-to-wall carpet. The
carpet will be replaced in about a year with hardwood or Pergo, depending on
finances. There are anywhere from 6-10 cats in the house at a time, as we
do fostering. I have dust/pollen allergies and DH has asthma. I actually
like to vacuum, but I can't stand doing it with the current vacuum. To
empty it, one has to reach into the dust container and take out the filter
cylinder. Dust flies everywhere. It takes me an hour or so to recover from
vacuuming. The filter also needs to be banged out every use or so.
Does anyone here have a Dyson? Are they as wonderful as the ads make them
seem? Easy to use in a somewhat cramped house? I see that they are
bagless, but does emptying the dustbin make a mess? Can you vacuum
furniture with it?

TIA!

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old November 8th 04, 08:54 PM
StocksRus®

"KellyH" wrote in
news_Qjd.8481$V41.7122@attbi_s52:

[...]

I have the Dyson animal. I like it a lot. I was amazed the first time I
used it and saw all the cat hair it picked up. It's hepa canister has a
trigger on it to release the dirt in a trash can.
It's called the animal because it has an attatchment to reach under the
sofa and beds to get the pet hair. It's the purple one.
At $499 US it is pricey but so far ( 6 months) I am real happy with it.
And YES. You can use it on your furniture.

--
StocksRus®

Old November 8th 04, 10:46 PM
DG511

I really, really want to get a Dyson and I'm wondering if the expense is
worth it.

Yes. Yes, yes, yes, yes. Absolutely. It was my best purchase for 2004.

Does anyone here have a Dyson? Are they as wonderful as the ads make them
seem?

Better. I give up trying to find superlatives to describe it.

Easy to use in a somewhat cramped house?

I live in a narrow townhouse, and with the extensions I've been able to clean
literally everything.

I see that they are
bagless, but does emptying the dustbin make a mess?

No. You stick the mouth of the dustbin in your trash can, pop the button, and
it all falls into the trash can. I have found that it works better in a mostly
empty trash can, as opposed to one that's mostly full.

Can you vacuum
furniture with it?

Yes. And curtains and stairs and dustbunnies that lurk along the ceiling.

I was skeptical, so a friend who was going away for the weekend lent me hers.
I had just vacuumed my 9x12 living room rug with my old Hoover. With the
Dyson, I filled the bin after vacuuming half of what was supposed to be a clean
rug. I emptied the bin and vacuumed the other half of the rug. I emptied the
bin again and vacuumed the entire rug again, pulling up even more dust and
dirt. I bought one of my own the next week.

The power of this thing is astonishing. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Daria
Timing is everything.

Old November 8th 04, 10:50 PM
J1Boss

I really, really want to get a Dyson and I'm wondering if the expense is
worth it.

OMG yes. I've had mine for a few years now and it is truly an amazing machine.
All hard surfaces here (except for a few area rugs), and it's so versatile.
And the amount of pet hair sucked up is truly amazing.

Janet Boss
http://bestfriendsdogobedience.com/
http://photos.yahoo.com/bestfriendsobedience

Old November 9th 04, 01:43 AM

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 20:50:28 GMT, "KellyH" wrote:

[...]

I agree with all of the others.
It is really great.
The only drawback that I can see is that it is mosly plastic so don't
drop it down the stairs.

Old November 9th 04, 03:06 AM
B. Peg

Check into a Rainbow water vac too. http://www.rainbowsystem.com

Parent's had one and it picked up stuff no matter what vac they used (the
water was always cloudy or muddy when they used it). The thing will not
pass anything back into the air as it goes through the water bath first.
Looks like a shop vac with a clear water tank. Their Hepa vacs always
seemed to stir up something.

B~