Are Bengals Dalmations?

Old March 22nd 05, 04:31 AM
Brian Link

Default Are Bengals Dalmations?

A long time ago I'd heard that Dalmations were in a tough spot -
because of the movie "101 Dalmations" purchases were up, though the
new owners were ill-prepared for the amount of activity Dalmations
require. My grandmother had a neighbor with Dalmations, and those
boogers never slept.. barking and running around like crazy in their
yard at all hours of the day.

Louis the Bengal is an adult now, and has an insatiable appetite for
play. Tiger the mutt is older, and plays for hours with Louis every
day. This is great for Tiger, since he's never had a playful companion
like this before. They are ridiculously cute - stalking, ambushing and
chasing each other. But Tiger goes to sleep, and Louis is still
energized.

I'm just curious if any other Bengal owners have had the same
experience.

This is not a problem, since there's usually someone home to throw
Louis' sparkle-ball, but I'm curious is this is a characteristic of
the breed, of this particular cat, or could be chalked up to his youth
(he's almost two).

Thanks

BLink
Old March 22nd 05, 11:55 AM
Orchid

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 22:31:27 -0600, Brian Link wrote:

Louis the Bengal is an adult now, and has an insatiable appetite for
play. Tiger the mutt is older, and plays for hours with Louis every
day. This is great for Tiger, since he's never had a playful companion
like this before. They are ridiculously cute - stalking, ambushing and
chasing each other. But Tiger goes to sleep, and Louis is still
energized.

I'm just curious if any other Bengal owners have had the same
experience.

Oh yes. Bengals are immensely active cats -- I often call
them the Border Collies of the cat world because of their intelligence
and activity level. They often come as a shock to new owners when
that adorable little spotted kitten shows its true nature and becomes
an adorable little spotted blur tearing around the house.
The activity level is why I strongly recommend either two
Bengals or a Bengal and another active cat -- imagine if all that play
energy was direted solely at you!

Orchid
See Orchid's Kitties! -- http://nik.ascendancy.net/bengalpage
Want a Purebred Cat? Read This! -- http://nik.ascendancy.net/orchid
Old March 22nd 05, 03:32 PM

Brian Link wrote:
A long time ago I'd heard that Dalmations were in a tough spot -
because of the movie "101 Dalmations" purchases were up, though the
new owners were ill-prepared for the amount of activity Dalmations
require. My grandmother had a neighbor with Dalmations, and those
boogers never slept.. barking and running around like crazy in their
yard at all hours of the day.

Hi Louis--Any shelter will tell you that whatever breed is featured in
a trendy movie will start filterting down to shelters about six months
after the movie's run is over. It happens *every time* with 101, to the
point that we actually set up a booth with informational stuff about
the Dalmation breed in the theatre lobby.
We had an increase of white Persians after "Mr. Bigglesworth's" fifteen
minutes of fame were up. Unfortunately, they were *all* a runny-eyed,
matted mess since folks had no idea, or didn't care, what
high-maintenance pets they were.
We never got any Sphynx's following Austin Powers. I suspect that, like
Bengals, they are much more expensive and hard to find around here.
We've never had any Bengals either.

Sherry

Old March 22nd 05, 05:03 PM
Ron Herfurth

wrote in message
ups.com...

Hi Louis--Any shelter will tell you that whatever breed is featured in
a trendy movie will start filterting down to shelters about six months
after the movie's run is over.

The only way that can happen is if the breeders start ramping up production
9 months or whatever before the movie comes out. Putting informational stuff
in the theater lobby won't prevent the featured pet from being bred in large
numbers.

ron