Are fat cats taking over?

Old August 17th 05, 10:18 PM
mystro

Default Are fat cats taking over?

Looks like Pete and Fred are both at least 2 lbs over-weight (vet) each
are 12+ lbs,they both eat when they want from the same
autofeeder/waterer so I don't really know how much they consume but
they like to *snack*..but never long feeding sessions.The food started
out to be nutro indoor,then I was told about chicken soup and they
liked it but the vet likes (and sells) innova eco which they also like
but I'm sure it's rich..anyway, I'm not sure how I'd individually feed
them if I had to just hoping I'll get answers here that say 2lb's is
nothing to be concerned about I guess.

Old August 18th 05, 02:23 PM
b8hoven b8hoven is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystro
Looks like Pete and Fred are both at least 2 lbs over-weight (vet) each
are 12+ lbs,they both eat when they want from the same
autofeeder/waterer so I don't really know how much they consume but
they like to *snack*..but never long feeding sessions.The food started
out to be nutro indoor,then I was told about chicken soup and they
liked it but the vet likes (and sells) innova eco which they also like
but I'm sure it's rich..anyway, I'm not sure how I'd individually feed
them if I had to just hoping I'll get answers here that say 2lb's is
nothing to be concerned about I guess.
Hi!

I would say 2lbs is nothing...my fattie weighs 20lbs! Not that I'm proud of it at all...matter of fact, I've set up a timed feeder that goes off 2 times/day and only distributes 1/4 cup of prescription diet food at a time. BUT, he continues to gain weight. I'm at a loss. He's "healthy" by all other measures...

Why don't you try using a timed feeder? I had the auto feeder before and he grazed all day...now he can't.

Gina
Old August 19th 05, 08:42 AM
mystro

I never thought about using a timed feeder,I'm curious how it would
work with 2 cats?

Old August 20th 05, 07:27 AM
Knack

Yes, they certainly are. Just like their fat owners; according to trends in
the health statistics of most developed countries.

Old August 20th 05, 10:15 AM

b8hoven wrote:

I would say 2lbs is nothing...my fattie weighs 20lbs! Not that I'm
proud of it at all...matter of fact, I've set up a timed feeder that
goes off 2 times/day and only distributes 1/4 cup of prescription diet
food at a time. BUT, he continues to gain weight. I'm at a loss.
He's "healthy" by all other measures...

How much is that 1/4 in grams and how much does that translate into
kilocalories or kcals or caloriess (technically not correct but is the
common usage).

You may still be feeding fattie too much or there is a problem, like a
thyroid problem or something?

What prescription diet are you feeding, Science Diet r/d? or something
like that? I forget it's initials.

1/2 cup sounds right but not losing weight. Do you have a baby balance
to weight in grams or extremely accurately? I am thinking of a postal
balance but that is net setup as well as a baby balance which can cost
a little over $100 to buy.

I had this problem with my cat but after I started computing each gram
of food into the "calories" that it had, the cat started losing weight.
It's quite easy to feed more. Like snacks or something, even an extra
10 or 20 calories can screw things up. But at the gram level, one
knows how much energy the cat is getting.

Also, I am thinking of using wet food again. That seems to help health.
I include some Science Diet Oral Care to clean the teeth if using wet
food. But its gets tricky since now I have to deduct the calories from
the wet food.

Generally, my cat is on 160 calories or kcals per day. How many
calories are you feeding your cat?