OT someplace expensive

Old April 28th 11, 04:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default OT someplace expensive

"cshenk" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote

Depends on how serious you are. I just wanted a basic bicycle. No fancy
gears for me! I like to support local businesses so checked the local
bicycle shop. Sorry, but I'm not paying $800 for a bicycle.

cultech - 2,000$ in 2003 for this heavy duty model. The sports ones were
much cheaper but not made to last like these. That was Japan price and
I'd hate to think what the markup would have been stateside!

Keep in mind, this was 'my car'. It wasn't for a leisurely spin in good
weather on a weekend, but to get to and from work, go shopping, and had to
be usable in rain, snow, and ice. The hardest part was getting the right
helmut for rain/sleet gear when you need glasses to see.

Mine is definitely for a leisurely spin in good weather Sorry but I'm
not biking 20 miles (one way) to the grocery store.

Jill

Old April 28th 11, 06:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Apr 27, 7:42 pm, wrote:
MatSav wrote:

"cshenk" wrote in message

With the 2 side 'paneer' baskets...

"Pannier" is the correct UK English spelling that you appear to
be hunting for. "Paneer" is a type of cottage cheese, common in
Indian cuisine.

Not a good material for sacks for carrying stuff on the back of your bike.

Not that I caught that mistake. I should have - palak paneer is one of
my favorite dishes.

American English may be different, of course. (Actually, I
believe the etymology of "pannier" has French roots, but I could
be wrong).

I think it's borrowed directly from French. I don't know what stage
it's at in the anglicization process. Probably different in different
places. I tend to call it a "pan-yay", because I think of it as still
being a French word. But in cshenk's neck of the woods, it seems to
have progressed further into becoming a bona fide English word.

Joyce

French term for "breadbox" ("pan"=bread). Looks to me like if you had
big load in both those cloth bags and it got your bike off balance you
might
tip right over like that guy on Rowan & Martin "Laugh-In". Remember
that?

***

Arte Johnson! I loved him!

Joy

Old April 28th 11, 07:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Joy wrote:

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Apr 27, 7:42 pm, wrote:
MatSav wrote:

"cshenk" wrote in message

[...]

I remember the bit, but I never would have been able to come up with
his name.

About a month ago, one of the local cable stations was showing an
episode of that show. (Do you call it an "episode" when it's a variety
show? Never mind.)

This one had a segment where they were predicting things that would
happen 30 years from then, in 1989. The ones I remember we Ronald
Reagan as president - they missed that by one year. And the Berlin
Wall coming down - same year!

Joyce

--
Beauty and music seduce us first; later, ashamed of our own
sensuality, we insist on meaning. -- Clive Barker
Old April 28th 11, 01:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

On Apr 28, 2:10*am, wrote:
, in a moment of arithmetic incompetence, wrote:

* About a month ago, one of the local cable stations was showing an
* episode of that show. [snip]

* This one had a segment where they were predicting things that would
* happen 30 years from then, in 1989.

Oops. The show aired in the late 60s. So that'd be *20* years in the
future.

Yes, I remember that show in the late 60s when I first went to N.
America.
It was quite popular.

Joyce

Old April 28th 11, 11:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk

"MatSav" wrote
"cshenk" wrote in message

With the 2 side 'paneer' baskets...

"Pannier" is the correct UK English spelling that you appear to be hunting
for. "Paneer" is a type of cottage cheese, common in Indian cuisine.

American English may be different, of course. (Actually, I believe the
etymology of "pannier" has French roots, but I could be wrong).

Grin, you likely have the right of it. I'm a wee bit 'speeling' challanged
at times. The two words as best as my southern USA accent can tell, are
said the same.

Thank you and I will attempt to spell it right next time!

Old April 29th 11, 12:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk

bastXXXette wrote
MatSav wrote:
"cshenk" wrote in message

With the 2 side 'paneer' baskets...

"Pannier" is the correct UK English spelling that you appear to
be hunting for. "Paneer" is a type of cottage cheese, common in
Indian cuisine.

I think it's borrowed directly from French. I don't know what stage
it's at in the anglicization process. Probably different in different
places. I tend to call it a "pan-yay", because I think of it as still
being a French word. But in cshenk's neck of the woods, it seems to
have progressed further into becoming a bona fide English word.

Grin, in cshenk's area it's a sign of my phonetic spelling that comes a'
cropper from time to time. It's combined with an accent that makes them
both said the same 'back home here'bouts'. We aint real sophisticated on
how to pronounce french here. 'Pannier' and 'paneer' would sound identical
locally.

Sorry if it caused confusion!