Boyfie has this trick

Old January 7th 14, 08:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Boyfie has this trick

Which annoys me intensely.
If he realises I am going out, even if he's just come in - and had probably
intended to stay in for the whole day for duvet time - when I put my coat
on, he insists on going out again which means I have to leave the back door
open so he can come in again and atm (he did it today) it makes my house
cold.
I know he doesn't need to go out for toileting, as he's just been out for an
hour or more but of course I give in.
He's quite manipulative, I think, if that's possible for a cat. and he
keeps doing it.
So next time I go out and he does this, he'll have to wait in the
conservatory - he's taking the p...
No more open back doors - I've got his measure. Spoilt, very spoilt.
Tweed

Old January 7th 14, 10:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
Which annoys me intensely.
If he realises I am going out, even if he's just come in - and had
probably intended to stay in for the whole day for duvet time - when I put
my coat on, he insists on going out again which means I have to leave the
back door open so he can come in again and atm (he did it today) it makes
my house cold.
I know he doesn't need to go out for toileting, as he's just been out for
an hour or more but of course I give in.
He's quite manipulative, I think, if that's possible for a cat. and he
keeps doing it.
So next time I go out and he does this, he'll have to wait in the
conservatory - he's taking the p...
No more open back doors - I've got his measure. Spoilt, very spoilt.
Tweed

Have you thought about getting a cat flap? Leaving your back door open
sounds dangerous.

--
Joy

Frazer Island

Fairy penguins march
Out of the sea at sunset
Chatting as they come.
-- Australia Haiku by Joy Gaylord

Old January 7th 14, 11:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Joy" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in message
Have you thought about getting a cat flap?

Yes, but I have a very expensive oak back door so that's not an option

Leaving your back door open
sounds dangerous.

It's not very dangerous here, but it makes the house cold as it's getting
kind of nippy weather-wise.

It's still safe. I have a Jack Russell next door now and he/she will not
allow anyone near my house. Including myself :-)

Tweed

Old January 8th 14, 10:02 PM
Bill Stock999 Bill Stock999 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina Websell View Post
Which annoys me intensely.
If he realises I am going out, even if he's just come in - and had probably
intended to stay in for the whole day for duvet time - when I put my coat
on, he insists on going out again which means I have to leave the back door
open so he can come in again and atm (he did it today) it makes my house
cold.
I know he doesn't need to go out for toileting, as he's just been out for an
hour or more but of course I give in.
He's quite manipulative, I think, if that's possible for a cat. and he
keeps doing it.
So next time I go out and he does this, he'll have to wait in the
conservatory - he's taking the p...
No more open back doors - I've got his measure. Spoilt, very spoilt.
Tweed

Smokey has two similar tricks:

1) When I leave for work in the morning I tell her I'm going to the Bad Place, so she immediately lays on my shoes and wraps her paws around my ankles. If I thought the PTB would buy that excuse, I'd be all for it. :-)

2) If I'm on the couch and thinking of getting up for any reason; to pee, to eat, to go upstairs, etc Smokey appears on my lap. I've asked her many times how she knows, but she is not talking
Old January 8th 14, 10:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article , Christina Websell
wrote:

"Joy" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ... Have you thought
about getting a cat flap?

Yes, but I have a very expensive oak back door so that's not an option

Leaving your back door open
sounds dangerous.

It's not very dangerous here, but it makes the house cold as it's
getting kind of nippy weather-wise.

It's still safe. I have a Jack Russell next door now and he/she will
not allow anyone near my house. Including myself :-)

Tweed

That's a good benefit of having that little dog next door.

I would never leave an outside door open and go out living where I do.
It's not a rough area but not a safe one to leave anything unlocked. in
fact both doors (front door and the patio door) are locked even when we're
in.

Judith

--
Judith Latham
Stourbridge, West Midlands. UK.

I keep my doors locked all the time too, even though I live in a good
neighborhood. I certainly would never leave a door open, not only because
of the weather, but because insects could get in. We don't have mosquitoes
here, but we have flies occasionally, as well as wasps.

Joy

Old January 8th 14, 10:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 1/8/2014 5:23 PM, Joy wrote:
"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article , Christina Websell
wrote:

"Joy" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ... Have you thought
about getting a cat flap?

[...]

When I lived in Tennessee I always kept the front and back doors locked
even when I was at home. Since I've been living in this gated community
(on an island) I leave the front door unlocked. The reason for that is
if the alarm goes off and I don't answer the phone they'll either break
down the door (good luck with that, it's a steel door) or break one of
the picture windows to get inside. I'd rather they didn't do that.

When I was cat-sitting for my neighbor and had trouble getting the cats
in at night, she'd sometimes tell me to leave a sliding door open a
little bit. Uh, no. Not with the raccoons and (in the summer) lizards,
snakes and bugs that might just come inside, too.

Jill
Old January 8th 14, 11:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message
On 1/8/2014 5:23 PM, Joy wrote:
"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article , Christina Websell
wrote:

"Joy" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ... Have you thought
about getting a cat flap?

[...]

That makes sense. I don't live in a gated community, but I do have a
Lifeline emergency button. My next door neighbors have a key to my house,
and that is registered with Lifeline, so I'm hoping they wouldn't break into
my house if I needed help.

When I was cat-sitting for my neighbor and had trouble getting the cats in
at night, she'd sometimes tell me to leave a sliding door open a little
bit. Uh, no. Not with the raccoons and (in the summer) lizards, snakes
and bugs that might just come inside, too.

Jill

Right!

Joy

Old January 9th 14, 12:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 1/8/2014 6:22 PM, Joy wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
On 1/8/2014 5:23 PM, Joy wrote:

[...]

Hopefully you'll never have to find out!

When I was cat-sitting for my neighbor and had trouble getting the cats in
at night, she'd sometimes tell me to leave a sliding door open a little
bit. Uh, no. Not with the raccoons and (in the summer) lizards, snakes
and bugs that might just come inside, too.

Jill

Right!

Joy

I leave the slider open a couple of times before it suddenly became
clear it wasn't a good idea.

One night I had six raccoons at my glass back doors begging for more
bird seed. After that, I wasn't about to leave her sliding door
slightly open. When I could get the cats in at "dinner time" (dusk), I
made the executive decision to not let them back outside again. Sorry
guys, you're in for the night.

The first few times I couldn't coax them in by 9 or 10PM I just fretted
all night. I figured, they'd been out all day since I fed them at
breakfast. They can stay in at night. And I can relax because I won't
be worrying about them.

Jill
Old January 9th 14, 12:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

I leave the slider open a couple of times before it suddenly became
clear it wasn't a good idea.

One night I had six raccoons at my glass back doors begging for more
bird seed. After that, I wasn't about to leave her sliding door
slightly open. When I could get the cats in at "dinner time" (dusk), I
made the executive decision to not let them back outside again. Sorry
guys, you're in for the night.

The first few times I couldn't coax them in by 9 or 10PM I just fretted
all night. I figured, they'd been out all day since I fed them at
breakfast. They can stay in at night. And I can relax because I won't
be worrying about them.

Why not fit a catflap that has open/in/out/locked settings? They're
pretty cheap.

Old January 9th 14, 12:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 1/8/2014 7:21 PM, Jack Campin wrote:
I leave

[correcting myself: leave = left]

the slider open a couple of times before it suddenly became
clear it wasn't a good idea.

One night I had six raccoons at my glass back doors begging for more
bird seed. After that, I wasn't about to leave her sliding door
slightly open. When I could get the cats in at "dinner time" (dusk), I
made the executive decision to not let them back outside again. Sorry
guys, you're in for the night.

The first few times I couldn't coax them in by 9 or 10PM I just fretted
all night. I figured, they'd been out all day since I fed them at
breakfast. They can stay in at night. And I can relax because I won't
be worrying about them.

Why not fit a catflap that has open/in/out/locked settings? They're
pretty cheap.

To clarify, they weren't my cats and it wasn't my house.

I can make an educated guess why she didn't install a cat-flap. There's
really no good door in the house for one. The front door is a very
nice, heavy wooden door with nice glass accents. It would look like
crap if she cut a cat-flap in that front door. The kitchen entrance has
an external screen/glass door in front of the actual door. The other
external doors are glass. There is no place to install a cat-flap.

If I were inclined to let Persia (or any future cat) outside, there
wouldn't be any place for a cat-flap in my house, either.

Jill